Singapore Expats

Earthquake and Tsunami in Eastern Japan - Largest since 1900

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 5:53 pm

ksl wrote:The tsunami from Japan reached California, turning boats upside down! :shock:
One person in California actually died as the waves took him with it while he was taking photographs of the tsunami :o

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 6:15 pm

revhappy wrote:
ksl wrote:The tsunami from Japan reached California, turning boats upside down! :shock:
One person in California actually died as the waves took him with it while he was taking photographs of the tsunami :o
That's an isolated case, something for the Darwin awards. It's not like he didn't know about the wave.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 6:45 pm

a 35 year old died in Papua Province too, (drowned)
Papua Province in Indonesia got hit too.... quite a bad flooding.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-ne ... a-province

remman

Post by remman » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 7:09 pm

It is a disaster that shows there is much bigger and much powerful than man. The earthquake and the explosion of Japan's nuclear power plants, those were too terrible to realize, it was like looking at the aftermath of WWII

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 3:42 am

6.2 earthquake just south of Mount Fuji.... 10:30 pm last night - 15th March

I feel that there are more to come....

Remember Haiti, Chile had a big one shortly after. :(

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 4:50 am

ev-disinfection wrote: I feel that there are more to come....
No need to 'feel' there will be more to come, Japan suffers earthquakes and tremors all the time. The most recent event was an extra big one with, as we have seen, devastating consequences.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 5:01 am

tyianchang wrote: Some come to mind - like windmills and solar panels which are probably of limited efficiency. But in view of the might of nature's destructive potential, they have to seek out alternatives.
You might want to read my post a little more carefully; I did say if there was 'a suitable alternative to generate the nation's energy needs.' Japan's mountainous nature and busy ports make windmills impractical while solar panels are expensive.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 5:38 am

Plavt wrote:
tyianchang wrote: Some come to mind - like windmills and solar panels which are probably of limited efficiency. But in view of the might of nature's destructive potential, they have to seek out alternatives.
You might want to read my post a little more carefully; I did say if there was 'a suitable alternative to generate the nation's energy needs.' Japan's mountainous nature and busy ports make windmills impractical while solar panels are expensive.
Plus the 'second box' that environmentalists only rarely seem to tick, that if it's cloudy or the wind isn't blowing (as is common in winter, unhelpfully during peak demand) then renewables will generate bugger all power.

As a result you have to run full back-ups 24/7/365 as a contingency. So, what's it going to be, coal, gas or nuclear together with your silly windmills?

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 6:33 am

Japan has a population of over 125 million people, even if you choose to ignore all their industrial needs for power.

It is laughable to think you could supply this level of energy needs with windmills and solar panels.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 6:42 am

k1w1 wrote:Japan has a population of over 125 million people, even if you choose to ignore all their industrial needs for power.

It is laughable to think you could supply this level of energy needs with windmills and solar panels.
No, you could run them from the non-renewables that you'd have to run as perpetual back-up though.

Either way, conventional energy is not going away, and that increasingly means nuclear.

Renewables are politicians feeding off and sharing the vanity of rich people who can afford to pay for it. They think it makes them look caring and concerned, whereas the reality is it makes them look like 'Box 1 = ticked' exploiters, and the short attention span of the masses lets them get away with it.

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:08 am

Plavt wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote: I feel that there are more to come....
No need to 'feel' there will be more to come, Japan suffers earthquakes and tremors all the time. The most recent event was an extra big one with, as we have seen, devastating consequences.
What i mean is a big one, within 30 days from today,
like there was one this morning at 5.1 in the mountains.

I use vesseltracker, which shows real time vessel locations on Google Earth,
it also shows the location of these quakes that i mention.... pretty cool stuff..
and you can track the general movement of these quakes, and from what i see, the quakes are coming inland south west general direction.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:26 am

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:59 am

earthfriendly wrote: The 50 brave men :cry: .
May God bless them abundantly, and I hope they pull it off, if they do they are real heroes!! I would expect they would be treated as National Heroes and awarded good recognitions. Oh that sight of seeing them pull off their masks and stand proud having achieved the impossible, that's priceless..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:03 am

The world is full of them. My hat is off to them. They are no different than those who went into the World Trade center or for that matter any fireman in the world who risk their lives on a daily basis in order to try to save others. They are a special breed of person. They have a name as well. They are called Heros.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:07 am

My heart is heavy.