Singapore Expats

Earthquake and Tsunami in Eastern Japan - Largest since 1900

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 1:31 pm

"9.0 Earthquake
20 Foot Tsunami
1 Nuclear Meltdown
2 More possible Meltdowns
1 Volcanic Eruption
Stock Market Tumble.

What in the WORLD did Japan do to deserve all of this? "

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 1:36 pm

earthfriendly wrote:"9.0 Earthquake
20 Foot Tsunami
1 Nuclear Meltdown
1 Volcanic Eruption
Stock Market Tumble.

Errrr..... to be situated along the ring of fire?
Hey, is this a trick question?
anyway, pray tell us, what did she do to deserve this?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 1:42 pm

I am quoting from another source. Not a trick question just listing out the battles they are facing. I have been getting request in this forum to clarify myself. Is it my writing style?

I would pen down my thoughts as they come to me and my thoughts are not always cogent.

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 2:04 pm

read on someone's facebook page, I am paraphrasing, can't remember his exact words.... "why bother with them, did they think of us Singaporeans during the war?"

couldn't decide if i was going to be angry or disgusted!

and.... in the papers today, it's apparently a long term advantage to the construction industry.... crass isn't it?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 2:22 pm

patsy_sg wrote:read on someone's facebook page, I am paraphrasing, can't remember his exact words.... "why bother with them, did they think of us Singaporeans during the war?"
...and.... in the papers today, it's apparently a long term advantage to the construction industry....

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 2:34 pm

Nak, did you actually type the whole thing?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 2:36 pm

tyianchang wrote: Seeing that earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis so frequently wreck the Japanese coastal regions, shouldn't they find safer alternatives to replace nuclear power? .

What would that be? Should a safer alternative exist capable of generating the nation's power needs, I am sure they would use it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 3:05 pm

prkravi wrote:Nak, did you actually type the whole thing?
It's on file somewhere. Since imageshack is being a dick about linking now, my original facepalm graphic is as good as lost so I'm now using the ASCII equivalent.

Back on topic:

@Plavt: I agree. Working with the Japanese tells me that they would've thought these things already. It's so easy being an armchair expert--you don't have to consider little nuances that makes simple things more complex than anyone could imagine.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 3:20 pm

patsy_sg wrote:read on someone's facebook page, I am paraphrasing, can't remember his exact words.... "why bother with them, did they think of us Singaporeans during the war?"

and.... in the papers today, it's apparently a long term advantage to the construction industry.... crass isn't it?
That's nothing compared to what happened at my workplace yesterday. We were waiting for a meeting to start and someone mentioned the Japan disaster and one of the people at the meeting is like "Oh my tenant is Japanese.." "Wonder if he'll be able to pay the rent now"... And then another local chips in with " You must ask him la is he paid in Sing $ or Yen then you can decide, and most people in the room were laughing. I was one of the few people who were not amused and I found the whole thing sickening.

Then I'm like, shouldn't you have asked the guy if his family's okay and stuff and I also reminded him of the thing called "Security deposit" and told him not to worry about his rent cause in that sense he has nothing to lose.

:mad:
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 3:26 pm

Plavt wrote:
tyianchang wrote: Seeing that earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis so frequently wreck the Japanese coastal regions, shouldn't they find safer alternatives to replace nuclear power? .

What would that be? Should a safer alternative exist capable of generating the nation's power needs, I am sure they would use it.
Some come to mind - like windmills and solar panels which are probably of limited efficiency. But in view of the might of nature's destructive potential, they have to seek out alternatives.
tyianchang

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 3:34 pm

20 Foot Tsunami
1 Nuclear Meltdown
1 Volcanic Eruption
Stock Market Tumble.

When the Haiti earthquake happened more than 200,000 people died. What did Haiti do to get that? They didnot even participate in world war II. Japan because of its economic might had it relatively easier. Had it been a poorer country could you imagine the kind of catastrophe that would have occurred?

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 3:47 pm

ksl wrote:Sadly I believe they are underestimating the dead deliberately! A quake that can screw the nuclear plant's is one bad quake, the whole island shifted 2.8 meters apparently, That would indicate millions of people being thrown around. Though just on the east coast must be millions of people. I hate to think of the cost of life and suffering.

Apparently the lost city of Atlantis succumbed to a drowning fate over 2500 years ago, it is now believed to be found off the coast of Spain. Tsunami it is said, was responsible.
Goggle 'Atlantis the Lost Continent Finally Found ' by the highly esteemed Brazilian Professor Arysio N.dos Santos ( nuclear physicist, geologist, linguist ...) Download Amazon books for a free read on the Introduction label.

In this ground breaking 21 st century research, Prof Santos pointed to the true location of the lost continent and describe in detail , the actual geological mechanisms that sunk the beginning of human civilisation, known as Atlantis-Eden built on the Sunda Shelf region. That took place around 11,600 BP ( Before Present )at the end of the Pleistocene Ice Age. He even gave the meltwater measurement and attested to that as a giant cataclysm of a global geological nature.
The prof showed an overwhelming range of evidences for his theory about the existence of Catastrophism where continents may sink in the area of the tectonic plates and ring of fire. A must read for an understanding of evolution in the Pacific Region.
My salutation to him.
tyianchang

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 3:51 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:

That's nothing compared to what happened at my workplace yesterday. We were waiting for a meeting to start and someone mentioned the Japan disaster and one of the people at the meeting is like "Oh my tenant is Japanese.." "Wonder if he'll be able to pay the rent now"... And then another local chips in with " You must ask him la is he paid in Sing $ or Yen then you can decide, and most people in the room were laughing. I was one of the few people who were not amused and I found the whole thing sickening.

Then I'm like, shouldn't you have asked the guy if his family's okay and stuff and I also reminded him of the thing called "Security deposit" and told him not to worry about his rent cause in that sense he has nothing to lose.

:mad:
Nice :roll:

What's worse is that they have no idea how incredibly insensitive they are, and think that that everyone shares their warped world view.

I worked with a guy years ago who made an incredibly disgusting, racist remark after four children were tragically killed in an accident. He blurted it out and no one within earshot laughed, in fact people said, 'what the hell?' and the like. No one spoke to him again and 2 weeks later he quit. Good freakin' riddance.

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 4:26 pm

revhappy wrote:
20 Foot Tsunami
1 Nuclear Meltdown
1 Volcanic Eruption
Stock Market Tumble.

When the Haiti earthquake happened more than 200,000 people died. What did Haiti do to get that? They didnot even participate in world war II. Japan because of its economic might had it relatively easier. Had it been a poorer country could you imagine the kind of catastrophe that would have occurred?
Valid points. The earthquake and Tsunamis of 2004 killed thousands of holiday makers to Thailand and many more in Aceh; mostly hard-working good people. That proves that deep in the bowels of nature, and it's taking us past Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth kind of 19 century Victorian science, lie forces that are savage and ravaging; mighty enough to toy with human civilisation and show the drop in the ocean that we are.
The mention of Hiroshima and Nagasaki brought to mind that Japan had more than paid for what they did in WW2. Nature then is like an automatic bulldozer and it's humans who develop a civilisation with all its intricate structures and codes.
If one follows Prof Arysio Santos' carefully researched scientic discovery, Japan just happens to lie in the catastrophic region. It had happened 11,600 years in prehistoric time. The sinking of the Sunda Shelf, an area the size of Libya and Asia Minor put together, caused a diaspora of thousands of the 'melanoid' people moving to India, SE Asia, NZ, Australia and the Americas. According to Prof Santos, Indonesia was one piece with India before the cataclysm and the myriad islands of Indonesia are the mountain tops of the Sunda continent.
Prof Santos traced the etymological origin of the name Indonesia - back to its Dravidian, Sanskrit and Greek sources - showing how incu became nesos , meaning 'insular' or island that had broken off from the Indian mainland, from the oral traditions of these civilisations that share a common knowledge about the continent that had sunk. Up to the time of Plato in his two dialogues, Timaeus and Crifias.
We live in a transcient and ever shifting world, making national boundaries effete in the hands of nature, but at least science and technology have helped us understand so we can make predictions and avoid future disasters on a small scale. If Japan is too frequently subjected to such natural ravages, its people have to move to safer areas.
Japan doesn't deserve earthquakes and tsunamis of this savagery, nor do the people living in such 'catastrophic' prone areas.
It calls for massive resettlement plans and financial help ( it has a national debt of over 200,000 trillions, hopefully in yen )
In the UK, Japanese artists, and no doubt, many others to follow, have come out to perform and raise funds to help. Like some of you here, I'd like to be there and donate.
Thanks for the points raised. They help to piece together what would otherwise put humans in an ultra violent jigsaw without our understanding of the bigger picture.
tyianchang

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 5:44 pm

The tsunami from Japan reached California, turning boats upside down! :shock: