Singapore Expats

Earthquake and Tsunami in Eastern Japan - Largest since 1900

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Earthquake and Tsunami in Eastern Japan - Largest since 1900

Post by ev-disinfection » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 6:28 pm

11th March 2011.
Japan's biggest earthquake since records began hit the northeast coast on Friday, triggering a 10-metre tsunami that inundated everything in its path.
Television networks across the world carried dramatic footage, some of it live, of the tsunami that hit northern Japan after a massive 8.9 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast.

The Associated Press posted videos from the Japanese broadcaster NHK on their YouTube channel, the first of which shows the tsunami sweeping away buildings as it carries debris across a vast swath of farmland:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0 ... ss&emc=rss

Hope everyone gets out safe....... :(

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 6:43 pm

Yes 8.9! is a REAL disaster.
Interesting to observe there were quakes in the Border of China and Myanmar and Papa New Guine yesterday as well though smaller compared to this.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 6:51 pm

No big surprise though, people in Japan have been expecting a big one since the great Kanto earthquake of 1923, wonder it has happened before now.

http://www.tokyoessentials.com/kanto%20 ... useum.html

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 12 Mar 2011 2:12 am

the question is ,,,if you follow the natural geography, when is the inevitable California quake due ????

time to move out of fat sams disco is my guess

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 12 Mar 2011 2:25 am

It is one of the largest quake ever recorded.

"The U.S. Geological Survey said the 2:46 p.m. quake was magnitude 8.9, the biggest to hit Japan since record-keeping began in the late 1800s and one of the biggest ever recorded in the world. "

Girlfriend was facebooking throughout the ordeal, stuck on her 20th floor apt, non working lift and hubby couldn't get home [-o< .

Reminded me of my first earthquake experience back in 1989 SF except this one is much bigger.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sat, 12 Mar 2011 4:54 am

Maybe Mother Nature is really mad... Just two weeks ago, my hometown was nearly ruined by a fairly big earthquake (measured only 6.9, but it the epicentre was 10kms from the city). None of my family or friends were killed, but many of them are now homeless and in pretty dire situations. :( The cruel irony with the NZ quake is that Japan were one of the first countries to send teams of search and rescue crew, and many of these guys are still in Christchurch right now.

Having lived through a few minor quakes in Japan, I thought the way the buildings swung around was even more terrifying than the quake itself. The tsunami, of course, is just a savage blow.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 12 Mar 2011 3:47 pm

Sad and shocking to see all those pictures and suffering people have their lives taken away in one foul swoop. Make's one wonder what economies are all about, just as well live in a tent in these areas.

The planet is angry and no doubt with weather changes, ice melts, and rising water world wide, will have cause more pressure in deeper waters, breaking open the earths crust in weak areas. we haven't seen nothing yet.

And no way the insurance will cover these people.

So damn sad for everyone and the poor children so frightened too! So much for gods.

ttuguy421

Post by ttuguy421 » Sat, 12 Mar 2011 4:15 pm

Seems like things are building up to Dec 21 2012... Maybe the Mayas, Hopi and other cultures were right about our way of life coming to an end soon... Sure seems that there have been an increase over the past few years of disasters

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 12 Mar 2011 4:38 pm

:cry:

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:31 pm

Looks like Nature is at War with Mankind, is it the media reach or are things really bad? earlier (about 6-10 Years back) earthquakes and such severe natural calamities weren't everyday news. But since the Millennium, almost everyday there is some natural calamity in the news in some part of the world. In the last week alone, a string of 5 Earth quakes! SAD.. as if that wasn't enough, man made disasters like Nuke reactors exploding... :(

Guess it's time we stopped in our tracks and reviewed our mistakes, but I guess its too late... We've tampered the system beyond repair.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 1:13 pm

Japan and the Philippines as well as Indonesia are in the Pacific Ring of fire and disasters are always present. no matter how much precaution you place, its never enough. hopefully nothing like that happens in Singapore or what will we do or where will we go?

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 3:01 pm

ttuguy421 wrote:Seems like things are building up to Dec 21 2012... Maybe the Mayas, Hopi and other cultures were right about our way of life coming to an end soon... Sure seems that there have been an increase over the past few years of disasters

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ttuguy421

Post by ttuguy421 » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 4:46 pm

Frog in an Ice cube.. am I missing something here? :cool:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 5:49 pm

ttuguy421 wrote:Image

Frog in an Ice cube.. am I missing something here? :cool:
Imageshack has started some kind of stupid domain registration. I don't know whether EVD needs to do it or me, but I can guarantee it won't be me, and I hope this new move on the part of ImageShack kills their business. It is asinine.

ttuguy421

Post by ttuguy421 » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 6:13 pm

[quote="Strong Eagle"][quote="ttuguy421"]Image

Thanks for the explanation, I have seen it popping up a few places.. thought there was some joke I wasn't to bright to get :P