Singapore Expats Forum

Islands to recommend?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Islands to recommend?

Postby Eau2011 » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:02 am

We'd like to have a weekend holidy (3 nights stay) on a nice island in Malaysia.

Can anymore recommend a few? No mass tourism, flight duration < 2 hours, no so commercial....

We've already been in Tioman (Japamala, great resort with super restaurant), Sibu in Mersing (nice but too many sandflies) and Sabah (wonderful mountain and nature).

I checked there is a private island called Pangkor Laut, has anyone been there before? (It said a very good one...)

If you have discovered some gems and like to share with me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)
Last edited by Eau2011 on Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Re: Islands to recommend?

Postby carlsum1986 » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:12 am

Eau2011 wrote:We'd like to have a weekend holidy (3 nights stay) on a nice island in Malaysia.

Can anymore recommend a few? No mass tourism, flight duration < 2 hours, no so commercial....

We've already been in Tioman (Japamala, great resort with super restaurant), Sibu in Mersing (nice but too many sandflies) and Sabah (wonderful mountain and nature).

I checked there is a private island called Pangkor Laut, has anyone been there before? (It said a very good one...)

If you have discovered some gems and like to share with me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)


penang has good food.......1 hr flight.....

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:20 am

Penang, I guess too many people? I read it has the highest population density in Malaysia.

Maybe I did not tell clearly, I mean gems like small islands, like Tioman, Sibu this sort of islands.... :wink:

Thank you anyway. :)

mikicoco75
Regular
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon, 02 Jun 2008
Location: Bedok, East Coast

Postby mikicoco75 » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 9:14 pm

I'm from Penang. If ur hav plan to penang can pm me.
I can give you some advice.

Btw, I was planing to Pulau Besar near to Johor - http://www.pulaubesar.net/about.html
mIkI_cOcO lOvE cOcO_mIkI

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Islands to recommend?

Postby JR8 » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 9:49 pm

Eau2011 wrote:We'd like to have a weekend holidy (3 nights stay) on a nice island in Malaysia.

Can anymore recommend a few? No mass tourism, flight duration < 2 hours, no so commercial....

We've already been in Tioman (Japamala, great resort with super restaurant), Sibu in Mersing (nice but too many sandflies) and Sabah (wonderful mountain and nature).

I checked there is a private island called Pangkor Laut, has anyone been there before? (It said a very good one...)

If you have discovered some gems and like to share with me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)



In my opinion you'd struggle to match a place for beauty and convenience that is Tioman (or indeed Japamala Resort!). The Perhentians are meant to be nice, you you have to fly to the coastal town of Terrenganu and take a ferry over. All that mucking about would really cut into a 3 day trip, the aim of which is surely to relax....

I stayed on Pangkor Laut back in the mid-90s when I had my parents over to stay from Europe. We spent 3-4 days there and it was torrential rain for probably 20 hours every day. So we sat on our beach chalet veranda drinking G&Ts instead and marveling at the possibility that it could rain so hard. You'll understand that my lasting impressions of the island are not the best!

In fact I don't rate the west coast very highly compared to the east. For one the water is brown, i.e. there is no way you can stand in that water at mid-thigh level and see your feet. I've been to Penang 4-5 times (not always exactly through choice!) and it is very busy, and the beaches are not very nice. Maybe go once to go and check it out and see some of the history otherwise there is no reason to go back.

Some people rate Langkawi, I haven't been. But those people have invariably not visited the east coast islands.

Within your criteria, if 2 hr flight time = total travel time, to an unspoilt island, I can't think of anywhere other than Tioman.

color_me_red
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

malaysia

Postby color_me_red » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:39 pm

Redang malaysia..yes!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: malaysia

Postby JR8 » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:44 pm

color_me_red wrote:Redang malaysia..yes!


And how does that fit with being within a 2hr flight time from Singapore?

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:26 pm

I would recommend Krabi, Phi Phi Island (Thailand). you know the place the filmed "the beach" at..... Beautiful.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:39 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:I would recommend Krabi, Phi Phi Island (Thailand). you know the place the filmed "the beach" at..... Beautiful.



Eh kekek, ther lip soft or like rhino chew branch ah? :)

color_me_red
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

Re: malaysia

Postby color_me_red » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 8:52 pm

JR8 wrote:
color_me_red wrote:Redang malaysia..yes!


And how does that fit with being within a 2hr flight time from Singapore?


less than 2 hours flight, last time i checked.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: malaysia

Postby JR8 » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:13 pm

color_me_red wrote:
JR8 wrote:
color_me_red wrote:Redang malaysia..yes!


And how does that fit with being within a 2hr flight time from Singapore?


less than 2 hours flight, last time i checked.


Alright and how about the no mass tourism bit?

Suggest you STFU unless you have anything of value to add.

color_me_red
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu, 14 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

Re: malaysia

Postby color_me_red » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:11 pm

JR8 wrote:
color_me_red wrote:
JR8 wrote:
color_me_red wrote:Redang malaysia..yes!


And how does that fit with being within a 2hr flight time from Singapore?


less than 2 hours flight, last time i checked.


Alright and how about the no mass tourism bit?

Suggest you STFU unless you have anything of value to add.


tsk..tsk..ignorant and opinionated.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:35 pm

Ooh, am I ? Lol. Well there's a thing.

Anyway...

'Within 2hrs flight, no mass tourism' and your answer was [drum roll]...


- 'Redang'


We'll say no more and let your expertise stand on that I think.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Travel & Holidays”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests