Singapore Expats Forum

Education, marriage, dependant pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
+ve
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2011

Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby +ve » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 5:45 pm

Dear friends,

I am an Indian, currently working in Kuwait. My fiance(Indian) is holding a P1 pass, and just applied for his PR this month. We wanted to pursue our wedding plans, and I am waiting for 2 yrs in Kuwait, as he was interested in applying for his PR first, as it would be easier to marry me and bring me to Singapore on a Dependant Pass/LTVP. ( I have travelled to Singapore twice in the past 2 years)

I also want to study, and applied to one of the universities. My intake is in September, for which I am waiting for approval of application. However, his PR approval could coincide with my university intake. I read somewhere that if I am a student, I cannot marry. Is that correct?

My fiance informed me that he could still marry me if I am a student, once he gets a PR, whereas I strongly opposed it, as firstly, I don't intend to jeopardize his PR by breaking any law; secondly I dont want to be banned/deported for the same reasons; thirdly, I don't want to hamper our wedding plans, and wait for another 2 years incase I am not allowed to marry as a student. Can anyone shed some light on the rules please?

Incase, he is lucky enough to get his PR, can we marry in India, or do we have to apply through the ROM in Singapore, because he is a PR? I need to plan accordingly.

Your expert advice would be highly appreciated, as I am highly confused. :???:

Thank you all in advance.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:19 pm

+ve wrote:Dear friends,

I am an Indian, currently working in Kuwait. My fiance(Indian) is holding a P1 pass, and just applied for his PR this month. We wanted to pursue our wedding plans, and I am waiting for 2 yrs in Kuwait, as he was interested in applying for his PR first, as it would be easier to marry me and bring me to Singapore on a Dependant Pass/LTVP. ( I have travelled to Singapore twice in the past 2 years)

I also want to study, and applied to one of the universities. My intake is in September, for which I am waiting for approval of application. However, his PR approval could coincide with my university intake. I read somewhere that if I am a student, I cannot marry. Is that correct?

My fiance informed me that he could still marry me if I am a student, once he gets a PR, whereas I strongly opposed it, as firstly, I don't intend to jeopardize his PR by breaking any law; secondly I dont want to be banned/deported for the same reasons; thirdly, I don't want to hamper our wedding plans, and wait for another 2 years incase I am not allowed to marry as a student. Can anyone shed some light on the rules please?

Incase, he is lucky enough to get his PR, can we marry in India, or do we have to apply through the ROM in Singapore, because he is a PR? I need to plan accordingly.

Your expert advice would be highly appreciated, as I am highly confused. :???:

Thank you all in advance.



You can decide on where to marry - India or SG. When applying for PR or for Dependant Pass, they just ask for your valid marriage certificate. It is ok even if you have it from India

+ve
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2011

Re: Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby +ve » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks Singaporeflyer.

Any idea if there is a problem if I marry on a Student visa? I definitely prefer to get married then start university. However, my fiance feels I shouldn't wait for his PR to get approved/rejected, as he can get married to me even if I am a student(which I disagree).

The last thing I want is to delay my wedding plans. I already waited 2 yrs because he wanted to apply for his PR. I am not too young, to wait another 2 yrs to finish my studies then marry. However, I want to be sure abt the law due to the previous reasons mentioned in my post.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:42 pm

+ve wrote:Thanks Singaporeflyer.

Any idea if there is a problem if I marry on a Student visa? I definitely prefer to get married then start university. However, my fiance feels I shouldn't wait for his PR to get approved/rejected, as he can get married to me even if I am a student(which I disagree).

The last thing I want is to delay my wedding plans. I already waited 2 yrs because he wanted to apply for his PR. I am not too young, to wait another 2 yrs to finish my studies then marry. However, I want to be sure abt the law due to the previous reasons mentioned in my post.


You can get married and then if he gets his PR, he can bring you here on a LTSVP and you can start studies on LTSVP?

or

If in case he marries you and later his PR gets rejected, still he will be on Employment pass and then he can bring you here on a Dependant pass and you can study while being on a DP.

SMS or MS can advise you more on this

As of my understanding, marrying and studying are different things.... just confirm with SMS or MS

+ve
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2011

Re: Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby +ve » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:47 pm

Thank you very much Singapore Flyer. Hope SMS and MS review my post and throw some insight on this matter.

I have posted another topic abt my fiance's PR chances. I would appreciate your thoughts on it too :)

Hope SMS & MS don't get mad :x at me. :D

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby ksl » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 8:18 pm

+ve wrote:Thank you very much Singapore Flyer. Hope SMS and MS review my post and throw some insight on this matter.

I have posted another topic abt my fiance's PR chances. I would appreciate your thoughts on it too :)

Hope SMS & MS don't get mad :x at me. :D


If they are you better watch out, otherwise they may eat you all up especially that bad SMS :x :P :wink:

Hope SMS & MS don't get mad :x at me. :D

+ve
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2011

:)

Postby +ve » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 8:28 pm

Ok that was funny :lol:

I haven't got replies for my other post yet. I am expecting some fireworks!!! Hope it goes down well with them. :D

On a serious note, I really need opinions. I have read the threads on the forums from morning to evening past 2 days, and by now I have seen enough what all you guys have to say.

Ok I actually tried to pick my words wisely hahaha so that I wont be shown the door. But you never know..Prepared for the worst here :D

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 5:50 am

ksl wrote:If they are you better watch out, otherwise they may eat you all up especially that bad SMS :x :P :wink:

Hope SMS & MS don't get mad :x at me. :D


Are you saying SMS is bad and mad ? :P :P

I am a Saint then ?
Bless thee my child for you have found me. Speak.... Speak or forever hold your tongue !!! :lol: :lol:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 6:42 am

+ve wrote:Thanks Singaporeflyer.

Any idea if there is a problem if I marry on a Student visa? I definitely prefer to get married then start university. However, my fiance feels I shouldn't wait for his PR to get approved/rejected, as he can get married to me even if I am a student(which I disagree).

The last thing I want is to delay my wedding plans. I already waited 2 yrs because he wanted to apply for his PR. I am not too young, to wait another 2 yrs to finish my studies then marry. However, I want to be sure abt the law due to the previous reasons mentioned in my post.


Why make things complicated ?

First of all, you can marry anywhere you like as long as you have a marriage certificate to prove it or if you can provide proof of co-habitation and your fiancee employer apply you for DP. The employer needs to sponsor you. Hence your DP will be linked to his EP. If he goes you go too. Or you can go thru ICA and apply for LTSVP since he is P1. Personally I think DP will be better if you are not legally married since to apply for LTSVP you need to proof of marriage. I think you already knows this. Either ways there are pros and cons.
If your fiancee fails to get PR which I think his chances are this moment 50-50 as the news came out recently that Indian PR/ Sger population rose to 9% from the current 7.5%. which does not look good for would be applicant. If it happens do not despair or jump into the sea, persevere and reappeal. By then your status will already change to "married and applying under family".
Get married if you must and come to SG under DP/LTSVP . You can then change to student pass. You can get married even if you are on student pass as long as you are not marrying Local or SPR while you are on student pass ,you are OK. Your student pass comes with some clause that needs you to proof that you are able to support yourself or someone sponsoring you with a minimum salary of $2.5K per month. This is not an issue as fiancee already getting more than this. Come here as a married couple will be easier on application for PR or LTSVP.
If his PR is approves then you are already married hence you are not seen as circumventing the law or a marriage of convenience.
Does this makes sense ? I don't
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

+ve
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2011

re: :)

Postby +ve » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply MS.

I would definitely prefer to get married & come on a LTSVP/DP.

However, I wanted to clarify the last part where you mentioned "If his PR is approved then you are already married hence you are not seen as circumventing the law or a marriage of convenience."

Do you mean I can get married before the results of his PR, and it wouldn't have any consequences to his PR? Or, you meant I could get married if his PR got rejected, before he reappeals again?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 2:49 pm

I this MS was saying "you can get married before the results of his PR, and it wouldn't have any consequences to his PR"

+ve
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2011

re: Thanks

Postby +ve » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 4:59 pm

Hey SF,

Thank you very much..Actually, that's great. I was worried that it could affect the application. If we did get married, and updated his status once he got his PR, would the govt think he was trying to hide things? That's my million dollar question! What do you think on this matter?

Anyway, let see how is application is viewed, considering what you and MS said. I have to pray to God to work a miracle. Whatever happens, will happen for the good. As you all suggest, in most of ur threads, if the govt thinks we need to prove we are serious in settling in Singapore, we should wait to prove it.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 5:32 pm

Has nothing to do with God. Pray if you must, it is at the hands of human that pretends to be GOD.

SF already explained to you as crystal as it can be. How else do you want us to explain to you. ?
If I am ICA , I would reject you first , not because of your skillset does not meet the requirement rather not understanding of what has been said.
We are talking and writing in English , yes ? Do you want me to speak to you in other languages. ? I can speak more than 5.

Relax and chill out.... my dear child, you worried to much. The only concern is will be if Immigration Policy changes after election which could affect many people. It has nothing to do with you and your fiancee. Based on what you have written, yours should be 50-50 due to my earlier post. Just wait it out and see how it goes.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: re: Thanks

Postby Saint » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 5:34 pm

+ve wrote:Thank you very much..Actually, that's great. I was worried that it could affect the application. If we did get married, and updated his status once he got his PR, would the govt think he was trying to hide things? That's my million dollar question! What do you think on this matter?


There's an unwritten rule that you should imform the ICA if there are any material changes since submitting the PR application and seeing as there's one big spouse's section on the application form, you getting married is a massive material change. No doubt the ICA will see the timing of you getting married after submitted the PR application as suspicious. This could seriously affect your chances of getting a LTSVP as they are probably going to view it as a marriage of convenience.

But then I personally don't think his PR application will be successfully, a single 35 year old male who's been in Singapore less than 2 years isn't ticking many boxes, only slight plus point is holding a P1 pass.

I personally think you've both gone about this completely arse about tit and have missed the most obvious easy route,

He's a P1 holder
You get married, doesn't matter where but Singapore ideally
You apply for DP which should be approved as he's a P1
Come to Singapore
If you decide to take higher education, apply for student pass.
Wait until you've been married for at least 2 years and then apply for joint PR, preferably having knocked out a kid who's male.

Easy really if you had just been a bit more patient. These are just my thoughts and I could be wrong.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: Education, marriage, dependant pass

Postby Saint » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 5:36 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Are you saying SMS is bad and mad ? :P :P

I am a Saint then ?
Bless thee my child for you have found me. Speak.... Speak or forever hold your tongue !!! :lol: :lol:


Oh MS, there's only one Saint on this forum :P
Last edited by Saint on Wed, 09 Mar 2011 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest