Singapore Expats Forum

Renewal of REP while not working for Singapore Company

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
andripao

Renewal of REP while not working for Singapore Company

Postby andripao » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 3:39 pm

Hi, I have some questions regarding renewal of REP,
I'm a Singapore PR for around 2 years under the PTS scheme,

is it possible to renew REP and maintain my SPR status, if out from 5 years REP validity, the first 3 years I spend working in Singapore and contribute to CPF and income tax, and the last 2 years, I spend outside Singapore, not working for Singapore Company, which means no CPF contribution and Income Tax

Thanks

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 4:23 pm

You got it all wrong

This is from ICA

* A letter (issued not more than one month ago) from the employer addressed to the Controller of Immigration, stating the date of employment, position held and monthly salary
* Statement from the CPF Board showing the CPF Contribution History for the last 12 months
* Income Tax Notice of Assessment for the last 3 years.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 4:28 pm

Usually if you are in SG for the last 2 years before your renewal, your chances of renewal are high.

andripao

Postby andripao » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:13 am

Mad Scientist wrote:You got it all wrong

This is from ICA

* A letter (issued not more than one month ago) from the employer addressed to the Controller of Immigration, stating the date of employment, position held and monthly salary
* Statement from the CPF Board showing the CPF Contribution History for the last 12 months

yes, I also read that part, so means if I didn't work for Singapore Company for the last 3 years, I'll have a slim to none chance to renew my REP and in the end i'll lose my SPR as well?

just wonder, is there any case like mine ever happened, only the first 3 years, not the last 3 years which the SPR stays and works in Singapore

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:26 am

andripao wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:You got it all wrong

This is from ICA

yes, I also read that part, so means if I didn't work for Singapore Company for the last 3 years, I'll have a slim to none chance to renew my REP and in the end i'll lose my SPR as well?

just wonder, is there any case like mine ever happened, only the first 3 years, not the last 3 years which the SPR stays and works in Singapore

Reading the forum, you will understand that it is your REP that will expire and not your SPR status. So, if in case you REP is not renewed and it expires, then you will not be able to exit and enter Singapore again.

If you are not going to be in SG for the last 2 years before your renewal , your chances are slim to none at this point of time.

There may be cases similar to you, but that does not mean that the result of that case and yours will be similar since both were in SG for first 2 years and not the last 3 years before renewal. Each case will be considered on its own merits

Good Luck !

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 3:32 am

andripao wrote:just wonder, is there any case like mine ever happened, only the first 3 years, not the last 3 years which the SPR stays and works in Singapore

How do you mean ? What is the actual purpose of you asking this question ??
You want me to find out for you so that you can ring fence this law. Sorry hombre, no can't do.
I do not and will not be a party to anything illegal that is against the law of the land.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Ginner-Sg

Re: Renewal of REP while not working for Singapore Company

Postby Ginner-Sg » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 9:33 am

andripao wrote:Hi, I have some questions regarding renewal of REP,

is it possible to renew REP and maintain my SPR status, if out from 5 years REP validity, the first 3 years I spend working in Singapore and contribute to CPF and income tax, and the last 2 years, I spend outside Singapore, not working for Singapore Company, which means no CPF contribution and Income Tax

Thanks

So why renew if you are not coming back to Singapore? :? Or are you one of these ppl who like to say "yes i've got PR for Singapore, but not been back for 2 years"

andripao

Postby andripao » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:40 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
andripao wrote:just wonder, is there any case like mine ever happened, only the first 3 years, not the last 3 years which the SPR stays and works in Singapore

How do you mean ? What is the actual purpose of you asking this question ??
You want me to find out for you so that you can ring fence this law. Sorry hombre, no can't do.
I do not and will not be a party to anything illegal that is against the law of the land.

No, it's not like that, i also don't want to do anything illegal and against the law, it's just that I want to understand the exact requirement of renewing REP, as I might need to return to my hometown to settle some issues, and thinking whether should I just give up my SPR or is there any possibility to keep it. Sorry if I've offended you.

andripao

Postby andripao » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:00 am

Ginner-Sg wrote:

Thanks

So why renew if you are not coming back to Singapore? :? Or are you one of these ppl who like to say "yes i've got PR for Singapore, but not been back for 2 years"

I'm still considering the possibility to coming back to Singapore again, and weighing all the options and possibilities, whether should I retain my SPR, or just give it up, and next time I want to enter to Singapore, I'll just enter as a foreigner

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:04 am

andripao wrote:
Ginner-Sg wrote:

Thanks

I'm still considering the possibility to coming back to Singapore again, and weighing all the options and possibilities, whether should I retain my SPR, or just give it up, and next time I want to enter to Singapore, I'll just enter as a foreigner

The ICA will make the decision for you. They will not renew your REP.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 3:27 am

andripao wrote:
No, it's not like that, i also don't want to do anything illegal and against the law, it's just that I want to understand the exact requirement of renewing REP, as I might need to return to my hometown to settle some issues, and thinking whether should I just give up my SPR or is there any possibility to keep it. Sorry if I've offended you.

Ok fair enough with the reason you have. Unfortunately as you are already aware, if you are out of SG for that good part prior your renewal , your REP will not be renewed. There goes your PR , toss out of the window. It is already hard enough to apply why do you want to let it go so easily?
Why don't you wait till you have your REP renewed then come back on the third year prior to the next renewal.
Alternatively if you have the juice, set up a limited company here and inform ICA and IRA that you are looking for investment opportunity overseas. This involves paperworks but it will be watertight. This is done legally as IRD and ICA will be aware that you are out of this company on business opportunity.

andripao

Postby andripao » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:21 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Ok fair enough with the reason you have. Unfortunately as you are already aware, if you are out of SG for that good part prior your renewal , your REP will not be renewed. There goes your PR , toss out of the window. It is already hard enough to apply why do you want to let it go so easily?
Why don't you wait till you have your REP renewed then come back on the third year prior to the next renewal.
Alternatively if you have the juice, set up a limited company here and inform ICA and IRA that you are looking for investment opportunity overseas. This involves paperworks but it will be watertight. This is done legally as IRD and ICA will be aware that you are out of this company on business opportunity.

yap, that's the thing, as nowadays getting PR is very difficult, I'm also a bit reluctant to let go my PR, but I guess if situation really forced me I'll just have to let go my PR
Thanks for the suggestion

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 5:48 pm

andripao wrote:yap, that's the thing, as nowadays getting PR is very difficult, I'm also a bit reluctant to let go my PR, but I guess if situation really forced me I'll just have to let go my PR
Thanks for the suggestion

You have one more option.
Come to Singapore while your PR and REP is valid, then let your REP expire.

Do not leave singapore, find a job in Singapore and continue working here till you file Income Tax for 3 years.
Then renew your REP.

Only downside is that you cannot travel, nada zilch, not even for an hour.... despite the emergency.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 5:51 pm

It works. I know. I've done it and I'm still here to talk about it. :wink:

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 6:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It works. I know. I've done it and I'm still here to talk about it. :wink:

Yes sir you are my source of information :D