Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to SG with long term girlfriend

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 24 Jan 2012 8:03 am

balaratnam wrote:yes, i get the differences between what an LTVP holder can / cannot do compared to a DP holder but I cannot see the difference in their status in other words, anyone applying for a LTVP should be able to apply for a DP in which case, why not just apply for a DP?!!? - Confused!

Anyway, I think I will proceed to apply for a LTVP stating "married" even though in my mind i could just as easily apply for a DP. Once there I can start looking into alternative passes... thanks all :)

It varies, but for me, I can get my parents and in-laws LTVP. I can't get them dependent passes.

While the written criteria may be identical, I suspect the unwritten criteria (MOM and ICA have lots of it) is probably more stringent for a DP.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Jan 2012 8:34 am

Just to clear the air a little bit. If you are an Employment Pass holder you can only get a DP IF the relationship is legal in the eyes of the Singapore Government. A common-law or de facto marriage is not. However, as a sop to the employers being able to obtain the talent they need, they (ICA) will issue the "partner" with an LTVP. If the "Partner" wants to work, they will have to qualify in their own right. They cannot use the LoC. If the government had their way, they wouldn't even give them an LTVP though.

Now, there are some variations to the theme however, same sex marriages (also de factor or common law in most countries) are now able to get LTVP's as well - and to work must also qualify in their own right for an EP) provided which, cohabitation can be established as having existed prior to arrival in Singapore the same as hetero couples. BUT, if the country of origin allows same sex marriages, legally. e.g., approved marriage certificate from country of origin, then the ICA will give a dependents pass to the EP holder but an online submission is not possible so it will entail a trip or several trips to ICA to sort it out.

Whether or not MOM will issue a LoC to allow the same sex DP to work I don't know as of yet, but I reckon they would.

hiltons

Postby hiltons » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 1:21 pm

Well did the LTVP application by hand, with all the supporting documentation.

Unfortunately rejected as we are the same sex

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 2:59 pm

hiltons wrote:Well did the LTVP application by hand, with all the supporting documentation.

Unfortunately rejected as we are the same sex

did you include the proper attestation from your embassy that you have a legally recognized marriage in your country?

what is your country?

hiltons

Postby hiltons » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 3:42 pm

Yes it did. We were married in 2010, and included proof of purchase of properties in 2006 and 2008 in both names. I think we found a box ticking clerk, and do not know how to "get to the next level" (if possible).

hiltons

Postby hiltons » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 3:43 pm

Sorry did not mention we are both from South Africa.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 4:51 pm

It is doubtful your partner will get DP as same sex marriage is not recognise in SG. You can try but do not place your hope too high
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 5:18 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:It is doubtful your partner will get DP as same sex marriage is not recognise in SG. You can try but do not place your hope too high

This contradicts what SMS said above. Also, Hiltons applied for an LTVP, not a DP, which you might consider a lower hurdle?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 5:28 pm

JR8 wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:It is doubtful your partner will get DP as same sex marriage is not recognise in SG. You can try but do not place your hope too high

This contradicts what SMS said above. Also, Hiltons applied for an LTVP, not a DP, which you might consider a lower hurdle?

Oops my bad, LTSVP was the intended term I wanted to write not DP
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

westcountry

Postby westcountry » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 1:25 am

I've been having LTVP application issues this week for my GF and it seems MOM have changed the rules again as of the first of March - they no longer accept statutory declarations…

Here is my story:

2 years ago when we moved to Singapore from Johor Bahru and my GF (who is Malaysian) got an LTVP, by us signing and submitting a Statutory Declaration witnessed by a lawyer in Singapore. My GF gave up the LTVP as she got a job and went onto her own work permit, but has recently left that job hence the need for an LTVP again. We submitted the same Statutory Declaration last month with our application and I got an email yesterday saying this is not sufficient and we need to prove we are in a common law relationship as recognised by the embassy of my home country by next Monday or the application will be cancelled.

Everything in this post other have said about the British High Commission not being able to write a letter / or verify our relationship appears to be true (I managed to speak to them today) as a common law relationship does't exist in the UK, but MOM need this precise wording. However the BHC say they have an agreement with MOM that I do not need this being a British Citizen - MOM however have a different view on this and say they do need it (miraculously managed to get the lady dealing with my application to call me).

The solution is that if I write an affidavit notarised by a public notary in Singapore saying we live 'like a married couple in a relationship which in the UK is the equivalent of a common law marriage', MOM will accept it… This is clearly stretching the truth by using the words 'like' and 'equivalent' but I guess is true as we do share everything, we just don't want to get married. I sent them a draft of the wording and MOM have said they will accept it in theory. I just need to get it notarised tomorrow and submit and hope they do!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:24 pm

westcountry wrote:.......we just don't want to get married....

just out of curiosity ... why not????

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:11 pm

It's always been rather hard to get ICA/MOM around the statutory declaration IF the girl is from one of our regional countries. Had she been from your own country (if a western country) it would be relatively easy, but in their eyes the girls from neighbouring countries are only looking for a ticket into the country. It's wrong, but that has never stopped them from using their rules in their ball park. They also tend to move the goalposts as and when they feel like it. Like changing the basic income/academic requirements for EPs. It's their ballpartk so what to do?

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's always been rather hard to get ICA/MOM around the statutory declaration IF the girl is from one of our regional countries. Had she been from your own country (if a western country) it would be relatively easy, but in their eyes the girls from neighbouring countries are only looking for a ticket into the country. It's wrong, but that has never stopped them from using their rules in their ball park. They also tend to move the goalposts as and when they feel like it. Like changing the basic income/academic requirements for EPs. It's their ballpartk so what to do?

Close but not quite. I'd say it's more that a common law marriage or defacto has no legal basis in MY therefore how can the OP be in one with a MY citizen? I hope his work around works.

East Dragon

Postby East Dragon » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 1:03 am

This topic is about moving to SG with long term GF. What about a Singaporean bring a long term GF into SG?

I am a Singaporean, divorce, have been with my Vietnam GF (fiancee) for 3 years. Every 3 months I would visit her in Vietnam and every 6 months I would together with her enter into Singapore for one month. Most of the time, upon entry, she would be asked to the ICA office for verification. I am very worry that one day, she would be refused from entry and subsequent visit to Singapore would be ban.

From what I understand from this topic, foreigner who are working in SG can apply for a LTVP for their GF. Can I know as a Singaporean who are working here, in their own country, have any procedure to apply for a LTVP for their fiancee?

I am self employer, my last few years income are between $40K to $70K before tax.

Please advice.

Many thanks.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:00 am

East Dragon wrote:This topic is about moving to SG with long term GF. What about a Singaporean bring a long term GF into SG?

I am a Singaporean, divorce, have been with my Vietnam GF (fiancee) for 3 years. Every 3 months I would visit her in Vietnam and every 6 months I would together with her enter into Singapore for one month. Most of the time, upon entry, she would be asked to the ICA office for verification. I am very worry that one day, she would be refused from entry and subsequent visit to Singapore would be ban.

From what I understand from this topic, foreigner who are working in SG can apply for a LTVP for their GF. Can I know as a Singaporean who are working here, in their own country, have any procedure to apply for a LTVP for their fiancee?

I am self employer, my last few years income are between $40K to $70K before tax.

On first glance, I would say it is not possible in your case, as you are not even in a common law relationship (even if either country recognized it). If you want to have her here, she either has to find a job here on her own, or you need to marry her.