Singapore Expats

Moving to SG with long term girlfriend

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dumadiscount

Moving to SG with long term girlfriend

Post by dumadiscount » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:57 am

Hi all,

I've looked through the various threads and can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

- I have been offered a 12 month contract in singapore and company will provide me with EP

- I have a girlfriend who would likely to be viewed as a common law marriage (lived together over 6 years, bought house together etc.)

- Girlfriend currently degree qualified in business and marketing and has a professional job here (pays approx SGD$10K per month before tax). Is the $7k PEP threshold before or after tax?

- I'd like for her to come with me to look and look for a job.

So I'm not sure what the best option is:

1. Apply for LTVP or DP under common-law marriage, then she can look for work. Recruiter told me the company won't want to sponsor her but I'm guessing it's just an endorsement so if I push on that it won't be too difficult.

2. Apply for EPEC separately to me, then look for work.

3. Come on a tourist visa and look for work. 90 days? The recruiter said this is the easiest option and if she can't find work within 90 days she goes across the border and then comes back. I'm not sure if it's as simple as that. I don't want to accept the role and then have my girlfriend not be able to come with me! :)

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by dumadiscount on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Moving to SG with long term girlfriend

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 8:21 am

dumadiscount wrote:Hi all,

I've looked through the various threads and can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

- I have been offered a 12 month contract in singapore and company will provide me with EP
- I have a girlfriend which would likely to be viewed as a common law marriage (lived together over 6 years, bought house together etc.)
- Girlfriend currently degree qualified in business and marketing and has a professional job here (pays approx SGD$10K per month before tax). Is the $7k PEP threshold before or after tax?
- I'd like for her to come with me to look and look for a job.

So I'm not sure what the best option is:

1. Apply for LTVP or DP under common-law marriage, then she can look for work. Recruiter told me the company won't want to sponsor her but I'm guessing it's just an endorsement so if I push on that it won't be too difficult.

2. Apply for EPEC separately to me, then look for work.

3. Come on a tourist visa and look for work. 90 days? The recruiter said this is the easiest option and if she can't find work within 90 days she goes across the border and then comes back. I'm not sure if it's as simple as that. I don't want to accept the role and then have my girlfriend not be able to come with me! :)

Thanks for your help.
The whole thing might just be simpler if she is qualified for her own EPEC. And then she can choose whether to 'exercise it' and work or not.

Proving common law wife status seems to involve Embassy attestations, notarisation, and then just hoping. Then applying for a DP and hoping again.

Visa on arrival, max I've seen is 30 days [I seem to recall them giving 90 a long time ago, but no longer], and if you're lucky - as a 'westerner' - you used to be able to 'border-run' on that to a cumulative 90 days without being nailed. But things have toughened up, and ICA will spot any shenanigans going on, as such there is, I expect, absolutely nil chance of border -running for a whole year!...

p.s. Others here know much more about this than me. So wait on (hopefully) further expert replies before digesting. Good luck.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:46 am

dumadiscount wrote: - I have a girlfriend which would likely to be viewed as a common law marriage (lived together over 6 years, bought house together etc.)
Sorry, not recognised in Singapore unless legally married :) :)
As above, not recognised here ..

And I could add to SMS answer - a silly recourse that some desperate guys have resorted to - employ her as a Maid :) :) no kidding - I know atleast two guys who have done that .. (and I am sure you are not gonna take the same path .. )

But, anyway, SMS has summarised the options ... good luck ...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 1:47 pm

ecureilx wrote:
dumadiscount wrote: - I have a girlfriend which would likely to be viewed as a common law marriage (lived together over 6 years, bought house together etc.)
Sorry, not recognised in Singapore unless legally married :) :)

This is not correct. Co habitation is recognised under MOM Guideline. As long as you can prove that you have been living together with your power bill or phone bill that has both name on it. On top of that get it notarised at the embassy to legalize it before submission of DP under EP if you chose this route.

Read

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... highlight=.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 1:54 pm

dumadiscount wrote:- Girlfriend currently degree qualified in business and marketing and has a professional job here (pays approx SGD$10K per month before tax). Is the $7k PEP threshold before or after tax?
The 7k SGD criteria for PEP is based on the basic salary earnt and so it is before tax.

Based on what you say, your GF should be able to get a job by herself in SG and live on her own EP along with you.

Good Luck !

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 1:57 pm

Mad Scientist wrote: This is not correct. Co habitation is recognised under MOM Guideline. As long as you can prove that you have been living together with your power bill or phone bill that has both name on it. On top of that get it notarised at the embassy to legalize it before submission of DP under EP if you chose this
Dang .. didn't know that .. and I learnt something new ...

Does co-habitating in Singapore count ?? :) :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 3:36 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote: This is not correct. Co habitation is recognised under MOM Guideline. As long as you can prove that you have been living together with your power bill or phone bill that has both name on it. On top of that get it notarised at the embassy to legalize it before submission of DP under EP if you chose this
Dang .. didn't know that .. and I learnt something new ...

Does co-habitating in Singapore count ?? :) :)
MOM guidelines suggest that only an LTSVP can be obtained for a common law spouse, whereas a 'spouse' can get a DP... this seems bit fuzzy.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 4:57 pm

Yeah I know SE but if you read Mulherengo post , he got DP for the common law spouse but Big Sis and Adione got LTVP for theirs. It is kinds of saying you can get either one as long as you can proof the co habitation.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 5:51 pm

The way I read that post is that the poster Mulherengo, came from a country that recognizes common law marriage (or pretty close to it) and it was for that reason his partner was given the DP instead of the LTSVP. There used to be a few States in the US that recognized common law marriages. Virginia was one and in fact, when I was young, if you spend a night in a motel with a lady you could be de facto married. So, I believe Singapore will look at the country they are coming from and that country's views on common law marriage for purposes of DP/LTSVP issuance.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 5:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The way I read that post is that the poster Mulherengo, came from a country that recognizes common law marriage (or pretty close to it) and it was for that reason his partner was given the DP instead of the LTSVP. There used to be a few States in the US that recognized common law marriages. Virginia was one and in fact, when I was young, if you spend a night in a motel with a lady you could be de facto married. So, I believe Singapore will look at the country they are coming from and that country's views on common law marriage for purposes of DP/LTSVP issuance.
That explanation works for me.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 4:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The way I read that post is that the poster Mulherengo, came from a country that recognizes common law marriage (or pretty close to it) and it was for that reason his partner was given the DP instead of the LTSVP. There used to be a few States in the US that recognized common law marriages. Virginia was one and in fact, when I was young, if you spend a night in a motel with a lady you could be de facto married. So, I believe Singapore will look at the country they are coming from and that country's views on common law marriage for purposes of DP/LTSVP issuance.
SMS , SE to reiterate what I said , it depends on where you apply your passes from if from MOM you will get DP, If you apply from ICA , you will get LTSVP. For the perception of co-habitation although this is quite common from Western countries, it is picking up in Asia too hence ICA and MOM treats everybody the same i.e applicants must prove that appicants are co-habitating for real. Nothing dodgy or YOU ARE OUT OF HERE !! :lol:
Seriously, it is more widespread as what I believe to be. The only race that is not allowed is Malay/Muslim or Indian Muslim or any Muslim applicants where the syariah law of the land takes precedent on the application. This is what has I have gathered

Grybs

Post by Grybs » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:28 am

Hi folks,

Sorry to dredge this thread up again-- I promise I've read everything on here (particularly Mulherengo's thread at http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic71419.html -- super useful stuff), but just wanted to ask for a tiny bit more clarification. With a bit of luck this'll be the final piece of info anybody will ever need, and this can all be written up as a "how-to" or similar. :)

I'm in the same position as all these other guys-- moving to Singapore in a couple of months, bringing with me a girl I'm very much committed to, but not married to (yet). It seems to me she'd be best served with a Dependents Pass, and I see a few guys have had luck with getting one via "common law marriage documentation", which we'd need even if we were going for the Long Term Visit Pass.

However it's still far from clear how you go about obtaining this magical document.

We're moving from the UK, where we've cohabited for years, shared bills, etc etc. The Singapore High Commission in London sounded confused over the phone, said they'd be happy to notarise any documents but didn't have any suggestions as to where we could get something confirming the relationship. When I emailed the British High Commission in Singapore, I got an autoresponse which included this lovely snippet:
Common Law Spouse Letters for Long Term Visit Pass: We do not issue this letter. The Ministry of Manpower has confirmed to us in writing that British nationals applying for Long Term Visit Pass for their partners do not need a letter from the British High Commission Singapore. Please furnish all their other requirements and the pass will be ready on the appointed date. The same is true if you are a permanent resident seeking a long term visit pass for your partner.
Which is a little ambiguous, to say the least. Am I right in reading this as "you still need a letter, just not from us"?

So, if you can't get the letter from either embassy, who next?

Alternatively: one way you could read Mad Scientist's post from earlier is that you just need to get a copy of an energy bill notarised and you're done. But surely you can't just submit a utility bill in place of a marriage certificate?

Thank you all in advance...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 2:35 am

Grybs

Public Notary is another option. It will be recognise. You cannot use Justice of Peace.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:41 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Grybs

Public Notary is another option. It will be recognise. You cannot use Justice of Peace.
Chief, back where I come from, the JP's signature / attestation is recognised as equivalent of Notary Public, and well, we are still very "British" and follow the British law, to a great extent.

Grybs: about the British High Commission here, a friend of mine had the pleasure of responding to 'automated replies' until he addressed the HC as "DEAR COMPUTER" - within a day a human being did call him and assist him about his documentation re: his property in London.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:46 am

ecureilx wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:Grybs

Chief, back where I come from, the JP's signature / attestation is recognised as equivalent of Notary Public, and well, we are still very "British" and follow the British law, to a great extent.

Grybs: about the British High Commission here, a friend of mine had the pleasure of responding to 'automated replies' until he addressed the HC as "DEAR COMPUTER" - within a day a human being did call him and assist him about his documentation re: his property in London.
It has been tried and tested and the Gahmen will throw your application out of the window. UK, Oz and NZ JP are all the same. Some are good others are very dodgy. Basically they want you to spend the money to get it done. Public Notary or Embassy Officials are the only two that are accepted. JPs certification is only meant for local application not overseas
Go ahead and follow his advice at your own peril.
This one cannot play play. It is the same as NS or IRAS thingey