Singapore Expats Forum

Employment Pass Renewal Rejection - New pass application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Jessica555

Employment Pass Renewal Rejection - New pass application

Postby Jessica555 » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:50 am

Hi,

I have been in Singapore since last 5 years ( 3 years on student pass & 2 years on ep). However my ep renewal was rejected dec 2010 and no reasons were given even the appeal was rejected. So I decided to quit the job and look for new job. Now I have offer from 2 companies but the problem is regarding the chances of EP approval and the choice to make.

1. A local company establised in Singapore 9 years back with workforce of 100 people (not sure how many are foreigners) paying S$1800 and applying for S Pass.
2. A MNC estavblised 3 years back with workforce of 30 people (not sure how many are foreigners) paying S$ 2500 and applying for EP.

I am confused so as to which offer to accept (my concern is not money but workpass approval) Please guide.
Thanks,
Jessica

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 4:41 am

This is a tough choice as there is no way of knowing that either company foreign quota has hit the ceiling OR MOM prefers one company to another or your skillset is not in demand in both companies or for reason that is unknown to you. As you have been rejected before for no apparent reason which is quite common right now, there is no way of telling which way it will go.If you manage to see both company operation and the position that has been offered. Write the pros and cons and weigh your options then go with your gut feelings and hope for the best.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:52 am

Historically speaking from my own company ~200 staff, We've had a number of S pass holders who were not approved on renewal. The closest reason we've had was on the rejection notice which said "no meets criteria" This is after have two years experience in the position. Upon further investigations, all the ones who had renewal rejections were either "distance learning" graduates (like twinning programmes) or had degrees that were not technical degrees, so therefore could no contribute as a qualification to a position that was a technical positions (technician). You could be falling into one of those cracks. Especially if your student visa here was with a private school using a twinning programme with a Australian, US, British or other country's degree. Distance learning degrees apparently are now not too favourable looked upon.

Jessica555

Postby Jessica555 » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:22 am

Thank you guys for the quick reply. I guess I will just have to make a choice at my own risk and go for it !!
One more question, ussually if EP doesnt get approved. Is the chances high for S Pass to be approved for me ? Yes, I did a degree program from Private Institution and the degree was awarded by Australian University. However, I did Bachelors degree in Business Management and the position I have applied for is a Sales Job and I have had the relevant experience for past 2 years in the same field.

Whatever I choose (Still confused) will let you guys know of the outcome :)
Thanks,

Jessica

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:22 pm

Jessica555 wrote:Thank you guys for the quick reply. I guess I will just have to make a choice at my own risk and go for it !!
One more question, ussually if EP doesnt get approved. Is the chances high for S Pass to be approved for me ? Yes, I did a degree program from Private Institution and the degree was awarded by Australian University. However, I did Bachelors degree in Business Management and the position I have applied for is a Sales Job and I have had the relevant experience for past 2 years in the same field.

Whatever I choose (Still confused) will let you guys know of the outcome :)
My 2 cents is that your nationality may also be a reason, Our S pass application failed, though a work pass was given for the same person.
Looks like a Singaporean can do the job? Unless your company can convince them, about the lack of customer service that Singaporeans are lacking, which is reducing the revenue stream, which is also reducing expansion, it's the domino effect, but sales training and customer service is given by you. :) It may or may not help, its for your company to negotiate but go for the EP if you are qualified with Brit, Aus, US or European passport.
They have tightened up on qualifications standards.