Cost HDB Apartment less than 800 SD ?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
hongkong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 7:29 pm

Cost HDB Apartment less than 800 SD ?

Post by hongkong » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 7:38 pm

Am a student and will move in with my family in August. Saw lot of info floating on the site. But am still confused by the most common answer which is ' it depends'!!

I will have 2000 D per month, am willing to stay miles away and swim to Univ if that may be situation, but is it doable? i.e. renting an HDB without sharing with anyone ( any size / make and anywhere ) for around 800 SD ?

Singapore Property Search

 

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4085
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 8:17 pm

Hi,
As per my opinion, it would be hard to rent a whole unit for 800 SGD. Good Luck !

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:15 am
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Post by beppi » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:41 pm

You will be able to find some run-down HDB in a godforsaken corner for S$1500, but not S$800. More reasonable ones are around S$2000.
Sorry, but your only choice is sharing a flat (starts at S$600 for a room without, S$800 with bath).
If your family includes kids, you'll also have a problem feeding them, but two people should be able to survive on your budget (incl. renting one room) if you are frugal.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:27 pm

Are you male or female? Discount is also available for siblings from same family! I bet everyone is surprised I write this :o

Yes it is possible to share HDB with families that take students for around 800 a month. Though if you want meals, laundry and maid cleaning it will set you back probably $1200

I can maybe dig out some agency address that do match making for this sort of thing.

I was thinking of taking females as I have a 10 year old daughter, who needs a role model :lol: But better to get them the same age group, so they study hard togther!

They call them surrogate famlies, many students from overseas are sent here to study. There is quite a strict house policy too, don't forget.

Though they must have HDB permission before setting up.

I have heard of Chinese nationals getting it cheaper, mother and daughters come to study, mother gets LTVSP but she is not allowed to work the first year. I know one who was paying 800 a month for 1 room.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39647
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:58 pm

The guy is looking to rent a flat not a room and he's moving here with his family, I think we need more info on the family make up

As he is a University Student we need to know how old he is. If the "family" is his parents or his wife and if the family also consists of kids. It's possible he's an adult and coming here to do his Masters or Phd. Not enough info to be making such sweeping statements.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 12:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The guy is looking to rent a flat not a room and he's moving here with his family, I think we need more info on the family make up

As he is a University Student we need to know how old he is. If the "family" is his parents or his wife and if the family also consists of kids. It's possible he's an adult and coming here to do his Masters or Phd. Not enough info to be making such sweeping statements.
The guy is looking to rent a flat not a room and he's moving here with his family, I think we need more info on the family make up
Even so, he's from HK and my guess he's Chinese, he's still going to do it the Chinese way, as he only has 2K. If he's from HK then he should be aware of the difficulties to get an apartment for under 1200, it is possible however. As my family rent out a 2 bedroom HDB apartment in Tampines for 1k.

Though most Chinese will rough it and share with other Chinese, this is the norm when studying if finance is tight, they can be and have to be very frugal people.

Those Chinese that have ever stayed in London at the Chinese hotel, will know what i mean, it used to be £5 a night per bed, No other nationality was allowed in. though there is not room for walking around, only sleeping.

Legally here in Singapore a 5 room HDB apartment can take around 12 people. The family will still need to eat, travel with possible school. Ouch!

I thought Phd's would be found accommodation with the help of the University!

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ev-disinfection » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 1:02 pm

Having sold my Executive apartment for a good price, i am currently renting a room in Jurong (exec apartment) lucky for me is that there are no landlord or tenant around (They live in Fiji for 9 months in a year), so i have a large apartment all to myself, i pay SGD 500.00 for the room + SGD 150.00 in utility bills. Waiting for the next downturn to buy another apartment again.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 1:58 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:Having sold my Executive apartment for a good price, i am currently renting a room in Jurong (exec apartment) lucky for me is that there are no landlord or tenant around (They live in Fiji for 9 months in a year), so i have a large apartment all to myself, i pay SGD 500.00 for the room + SGD 150.00 in utility bills. Waiting for the next downturn to buy another apartment again.
Now that's the way to do it! :D :D

The other way is to offer your services as a property security warden, and maintenance manager for property developers and leased apartments if you are single with a day job.

Many people live and work overseas and they do not like to rent out long term. They would rather pay someone to live in and look after the place.

A mate of mine looked after a 10 bed roomed mansion in UK in the Country side, the owners lived in the USA, though he had done maintenance work for them many times.

I was also doing odd jobs and DIY for people in the village where I resided after leaving the military in between my contracts, for crop spraying and steel erecting. Always had to be free to do what i wanted to do outdoors, office work is a drab like life sometimes, so you have to kick start excitement like helping others. :)

hongkong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 7:29 pm

Post by hongkong » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 5:30 pm

Hey Guys!

Family is - wife and 4 months old Kid,

PHD Student, can't work any where else, Want a independent flat any size !

Thanks for the info though, It seems in this budget I will have to share or to move alone intially

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 5:42 pm

See if you can find anything here. Not affiliated, just know people who have used it with success.

http://www...com.sg/

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39647
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 7:46 pm

Guess I was spot on. Intuition! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 8:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Guess I was spot on. Intuition! :cool:
Guess I was too 8-) :P by the way, put that cigarette out disgusting habit uncool, i refuse to use it :wink: !

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39647
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 8:57 pm

ksl wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Guess I was spot on. Intuition! :cool:
Guess I was too 8-) :P by the way, put that cigarette out disgusting habit uncool, i refuse to use it :wink: !
You were too? The fact that he's Chinese? Wow, that took a lot of intuition! He did say he was FROM Hong Kong. I think most of the British left in '97. :-s

Haven't even though about a ciggie since mid Dec 2004. In fact, I really had to think about what year it was that I quit! :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Sat, 05 Mar 2011 9:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Guess I was spot on. Intuition! :cool:
Guess I was too 8-) :P by the way, put that cigarette out disgusting habit uncool, i refuse to use it :wink: !
You were too? The fact that he's Chinese? Wow, that took a lot of intuition! He did say he was FROM Hong Kong. I think most of the British left in '97. :-s

Haven't even though about a ciggie since mid Dec 2004. In fact, I really had to think about what year it was that I quit! :)
The fact that he's Chinese? Wow
No the fact that he would have to share, if only getting 2K

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 9:38 am
Location: London

Re: Cost HDB Apartment less than 800 SD ?

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 2:14 pm

hongkong wrote:Am a student and will move in with my family in August. Saw lot of info floating on the site. But am still confused by the most common answer which is ' it depends'!!

I will have 2000 D per month, am willing to stay miles away and swim to Univ if that may be situation, but is it doable? i.e. renting an HDB without sharing with anyone ( any size / make and anywhere ) for around 800 SD ?
It is possible to even get condos for that much but trust me it will be VERY BAD.

I used to rent a condo in the transition period when the condo I purchased was not ready.
It was built in 1986 in Boon Keng / Poton Pasir from where you could get to the CBD in under 10$ by taxi for 860 $ per month.

But the place was a **** hole.............
Cockroaches, bugs, pests...... yew.

Trust me if you find a place that cheap and an entire unit dont sign a long lease. You will find issues with it.

As a well wisher I recommend leaving your family back home and go for a flat share in a decent place. You will get over the mental block of sharing and soon get used to it.

Might work out better till you get a job, earn enough to call your family over.

Non

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests