Singapore Expats

Indian with job offer in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
nuragaynura

Indian with job offer in Singapore

Post by nuragaynura » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 7:27 pm

Hi folks

I am a finance professional with PGDBA –finance , working in India with an annual package of six lakhs Rupees P.A.

Please advise what would be the ideal salary that I should target /demand for which would help me maintaining reasonable standard of living in s’pore , have some savings along with approx monthly remittance of around 1000$ to India.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Indian with job offer in Singapore

Post by JayCee » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 7:50 pm

nuragaynura wrote:Hi folks

I am a finance professional with PGDBA –finance , working in India with an annual package of six lakhs Rupees P.A.

Please advise what would be the ideal salary that I should target /demand for which would help me maintaining reasonable standard of living in s’pore , have some savings along with approx monthly remittance of around 1000$ to India.
Given the level of 'talent' you show from your post, I would say you could probably command a salary of roughly $5 an hour cleaning the hawker centre :roll:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 8:54 pm

^^^^^

+1
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:14 am

JayCee wrote:

Given the level of 'talent' you show from your post, I would say you could probably command a salary of roughly $5 an hour cleaning the hawker centre :roll:
@Jaycee : I don't know from where you get this kind of arrogance from ? Who the hell are you to judge people based on their posts. Do you know what PGDBA means ? You have the time to waste writing the comment above rather than helping the OP or pointing him to the right direction.

@OP: You can send me a PM with your questions. You can also try to search the forums here as they contain a wealth of information on similar topics. At a very broad level a bachelor, sharing accomodation and not having an extravagent lifestyle should be able to manage within 5-6K pm. my 2 cents only...

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:35 am

valleyman wrote:
JayCee wrote:

@Jaycee : I don't know from where you get this kind of arrogance from ? Who the hell are you to judge people based on their posts. Do you know what PGDBA means ? You have the time to waste writing the comment above rather than helping the OP or pointing him to the right direction.
For the sake of curiosity, I don't know PGDBA either, can you please tell me? Thanks :o

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:39 am

PGDBA

Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nuragaynura

Post by nuragaynura » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 2:31 am

@ sundaymorningstaple : thanks for the links.. :D
@ valleyman : thanks buddy- dont mind about posts of people like Jaycee world is filled with Moron's :x like them.
@ Mad Scientist : nice punch line(signature text) =D>

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 9:47 am

nuragaynura wrote:@ sundaymorningstaple : thanks for the links.. :D
@ valleyman : thanks buddy- dont mind about posts of people like Jaycee world is filled with Moron's :x like them.
You really ought to reconsider your use of the word, 'moron'.

You, for example, post an acronym that most people on the board will not be familiar with. You then post your current salary in lakhs, again, a term that most people on this board will not be familiar with.

You then compound your errors by asking what salary you should demand in order to meet a loosely specified set of goals. Then, you get all huffy when someone calls you on your post.

Now, I might not have used the same words as Jaycee but I certainly empathize with his point of view.

First of all, if you had used the search function at the upper right hand of the window, you would find that this question has been asked and answered hundreds of times.

Second, you are asking the readership here to be mind readers and understand what you think is reasonable. I know an Indian guy that lives in a 7,000 square foot, three story detached house that must cost him $16,000 per month, if it costs him a penny. And, I know a guy, another Indian, who lives in a non air-conned HDB flat with several family members and pays $1,000 per month. So,what is reasonable?

You'll really get a lot more useful help here if a) you use the search function and then ask qualifying questions, and b) stop walking around with a chip on your shoulder... calling someone a moron is not a way to ingratiate yourself into this community.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:07 am

I am surprised by the number of people who come here asking for 1.01 help in wiping their own butts, who when they don't get it immediately instead go on the attack.

The attitude seems rather amazing to me.

[Can I ask this? Is this an Indian thing?]

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:12 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
nuragaynura wrote:@ sundaymorningstaple : thanks for the links.. :D
You really ought to reconsider your use of the word, 'moron'.

You, for example, post an acronym that most people on the board will not be familiar with. You then post your current salary in lakhs, again, a term that most people on this board will not be familiar with.

You then compound your errors by asking what salary you should demand in order to meet a loosely specified set of goals. Then, you get all huffy when someone calls you on your post.

Now, I might not have used the same words as Jaycee but I certainly empathize with his point of view.

First of all, if you had used the search function at the upper right hand of the window, you would find that this question has been asked and answered hundreds of times.

Second, you are asking the readership here to be mind readers and understand what you think is reasonable. I know an Indian guy that lives in a 7,000 square foot, three story detached house that must cost him $16,000 per month, if it costs him a penny. And, I know a guy, another Indian, who lives in a non air-conned HDB flat with several family members and pays $1,000 per month. So,what is reasonable?

You'll really get a lot more useful help here if a) you use the search function and then ask qualifying questions, and b) stop walking around with a chip on your shoulder... calling someone a moron is not a way to ingratiate yourself into this community.
+1

Nothing more to say really

Valleyman, do you happen to work in a hawker centre by any chance? :lol:

nuragaynura

Post by nuragaynura » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 3:19 am

Thanks for all such lovely replies..

Sorry that i made a mistake by asking a question, #-o (forums are generally supposed to be for the same) Didn't know that unlike other forums the members and moderators have so much attitude that thy consider all others stupids. No body has asked or forced you to revert...in forums u need to revert only where u feel u can help.. If not or if u dont happen to understand the query then just SHUT UP!!! :evil: (this is just the basics that u all need to know)

@ Strong Eagle: :x Forums are made so that people who know some thing can share with those who want to know. in case of my post i guess any indian who has worked in india or knows about the salary and standard of living in india could easily reply to my query - I AGAIN REITERATE HAVE NOR FORCED ANY ONE TO REPLY- if any one can help /reply he /she can do that and if not then just move on to an other thread rather than being so arrogant.

I find 30-40 % threads in this forums with such arrogant remarks like " use search function" "check old posts etc" - sorry to tell u this kinda reverts are not expected nor is the practice in other forums. Here u guys make the people asking feel sorry for asking the query. If u guys :mad: don't intend to help then just close down the forum why are u making a mockery of ur self and wasting time of others who expect genuine reply.

Any ways - its an attitude problem that u guys have no one can help..
God bless u guys!!!!!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 4:22 am

Finished jerking off yet, moron? :roll:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 8:23 am

nuragaynura wrote:I find 30-40 % threads in this forums with such arrogant remarks like " use search function" "check old posts etc" - sorry to tell u this kinda reverts are not expected nor is the practice in other forums.
I have to agree with you on this. There should be no such posts. Unfortunately it is not as simple as you probably think. Let me explain.

Posts like yours should be either completely ignored or responded the manner JayCee did. But there is a catch with such approach. There are people like valleyman around who for various reasons try to "help". Sometimes these reasons are legitimate and they really try to help, sometimes not but what matters is that they do by their actions more damage then this help they try to offer. They simply ensure individuals like yourself in their standpoint of reliance and disrespect to the others.

Secondly you have people like SE (I will expand this abbreviation for you - Strong Eagle). They have principles and try to be professional even on the moderator's posts. It can be only admired but objectively it is a waste of time - it was clear already from your initial posts how you would respond.

And lastly, personally I appreciate the way you formulate your problems. I think this is a gift that you handle your matters like this. I see this kind of style in many CVs sent here or there and I really appreciate this involuntary help of people like yourself in pretty tremendous effort of making the decision whether to hire someone or not. The gift to your potential employer of course. And talking about arrogance, JayCee was pretty optimistic in his judgement, actually you do not qualify to any position where you might interact with other ppl so cleaning in the hawker centre - doubtful, too close to the customers.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 9:13 am

You say you are a finance professional so I would have thought you would know there can be so many factors that can affect a final figure which you have not mentioned so how the hell can we advise a figure. It's like walking in to Courts and asking how much does a TV cost!

The things you have neglected to mention are

1) What exact type of finance professional are you? CFO, trader, accountant, PA, bank teller, shop cashier???
2) How many years experience do you have? Having a PDGBA or even a MBA are so common these days that not much weighting is given when negotiating a salary. Companies want actual experience not what you've read out of a book.
3) Have you ever worked outside of India before?

Use the search function as there's years of previous postings on exact same topic and it comes up ever week without fail. You've probably realised that there are a group of about 20 odd hardcore members/mods with years and years of knowledge and experience who aren't paid by the forum owners to provide this service.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 9:30 am

[Cod Indian voice*] Oh ohohohohohoh! You are repeating "such arrogant remarks like 'use search function'". Who are you bloody well thinking that you are? I am not some damned coolie!

The guy wants his arse wiped, not told how to do it himself.

* a la 'It ain't half hot mum'
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard