Singapore Expats

Is this right time to apply for PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.

Is this the right time to apply for PR?

Yes, Go ahead!
17%
No, Wait another 3 months.
17%
Wait another year or more.
42%
You're not eligible yet.
25%

Total votes: 12

okdone

Is this right time to apply for PR?

Post by okdone » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 9:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd been getting a lot of information from this forum since long time now. Thanks a lot to everyone for making such a great platform and thanks to all the forum members and experts for great advise.

I want to know is this the right time to apply for PR? I had been in Singapore since Q3 of 2008. I am on Q1 EP. I didn't tried it anytime before coz every time I hear the PRs are getting rejected, no use applying. Then it gets delayed forever till now.

So, can I ask if this is the right time to apply for PR or is it no use again? I know there's some election agenda going on as well as number of PRs to Singapore had been dropping consistently and drastically in past few years. Well, I think I've proven my ability to become an asset for Singapore till now. Do you think my application will be considered?

Please advise the PROs and CONs of having a PR as well.
Last edited by okdone on Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do the Best, Sustain your performance and Talk Less.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 10:01 pm

Show Up, Keep Up and Shut Up!!!
What the hell does that mean?

okdone

Post by okdone » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 10:06 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
The hell. That's my signature liao....

I heard it in a competition, I liked that quote.... just put it in sign.....Do your work, keep up and shut the fag up.

Ginner-Sg

Post by Ginner-Sg » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 10:26 pm

okdone wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

I heard it in a competition, I liked that quote.... just put it in sign.....Do your work, keep up and shut the fag up.
Errrrrrrrrr i think you should wait, but you never know. But good luck cause you will need it. :shock: :roll:

okdone

Post by okdone » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 10:34 pm

Ginner-Sg wrote:
okdone wrote:
Errrrrrrrrr i think you should wait, but you never know. But good luck cause you will need it. :shock: :roll:
Does this mean I should apply but not expect? Within 4 more months I'll be completing 3 years here. I'm in 3K+ salary slab only (not in 3.5K+). And do you think ethnicity also plays a role? I'm an Indian. Man its really getting so hard to get a PR these days and I already look so desperate.

My motivation behind applying for PR is being a little more stable. With contract Jobs the people who have PR are in a stronger position to look out for jobs and demand a hike. With few sample case of companies like ours, there isn't any case of hike of promotion. And you look out for a job the very first question asked is - are you a PR? The jobs are out for PRs/Singaporeans only. I wonder with forming of new government, they're definitely slashing down the PRs but are they gonna downsize EP population as well? Many of my friends went back within past few years.

More than that, unless your wife is expecting and you want to seek subsidies in medical expenditure or you want to go for any surgery, I don't know what else could be motivation behind looking out for PR. You cannot buy house etc here coz I think there's a 5years minimum stay rule already in place.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:06 pm

okdone wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Well, sorry... I'd never consider someone for employment with that 'motto'. I want you to do more than show up. I want you to come to work every day because you are challenged, and you want to make a difference. People that 'show up' are the ones sleeping in behind the building.

Keep Up? Why aren't you creative enough to be ahead? If your entire goal is just to keep up, you're pretty worthless. I want people that strive to get ahead, not keep up.

And Shut Up? Could there be more worthless advice? I deal with teams everyday, where everyone must be mute... they never say sh*t about anything... they are worthless when it comes to being problem solvers. I need people to speak up with ideas.

And FWIW, if your tagline is your attitude, you'll never make PR... Singapore is looking for workers to help them break out of the box.

okdone

Post by okdone » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:27 pm

Okay then. Let me explain it....
Strong Eagle wrote:I want you to come to work every day because you are challenged, and you want to make a difference. People that 'show up' are the ones sleeping in behind the building.

Well I said before, with Show Up, I mean Do your Job well. The ones sleeping behind the building are already out of context from my statement coz they got no worth to "Show Up". or "they got nothing worthwhile in them to Perform". And if you can't perform, you aren't eligible for success, not only in singapore - any place in the world.

Those who haven't anything worth in them to Perform, can never dare to "Show Up". Coz even if they ever "Show Up", they won't be able to sustain it for long. Even when you wear an outfit - if you've got no confidence to carry it, you shouldn't wear it.
Strong Eagle wrote: Keep Up? Why aren't you creative enough to be ahead? If your entire goal is just to keep up, you're pretty worthless. I want people that strive to get ahead, not keep up.
Keep Up again in my quote mean - sustain the performance to the best level. Achieving small goals does make you happy for some time, but unless you sustain your achievements, you'll just remain where you are. That is why it is said "success is journey, not destination". Successful people are able to sustain performance for a longer course of time, even if it isn't necessary.

This means you compete with your own self. This means healthy competition because each of competitor performs to the best of his abilities, while keeping up to the standards of mutual competition.

Strong Eagle wrote: And Shut Up? Could there be more worthless advice? I deal with teams everyday, where everyone must be mute... they never say sh*t about anything... they are worthless when it comes to being problem solvers. I need people to speak up with ideas.
Have you heard about, "Empty vessels make much noise." So its better to concentrate on delivering more than committing. Undercommit and overdeliver - that's what makes customer happy.

:wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:51 pm

okdone wrote:Okay then. Let me explain it....
Strong Eagle wrote:I want you to come to work every day because you are challenged, and you want to make a difference. People that 'show up' are the ones sleeping in behind the building.

Well I said before, with Show Up, I mean Do your Job well.

Obviously English is not your first language. Why don't you say what your mean. The two aren't even related. I can Telecomute and do my job better that you do by just showing up. :roll:

The ones sleeping behind the building are already out of context from my statement coz they got no worth to "Show Up". or "they got nothing worthwhile in them to Perform". And if you can't perform, you aren't eligible for success, not only in singapore - any place in the world.

Those who haven't anything worth in them to Perform, can never dare to "Show Up". Coz even if they ever "Show Up", they won't be able to sustain it for long. Even when you wear an outfit - if you've got no confidence to carry it, you shouldn't wear it.
Strong Eagle wrote: Keep Up? Why aren't you creative enough to be ahead? If your entire goal is just to keep up, you're pretty worthless. I want people that strive to get ahead, not keep up.
Keep Up again in my quote mean - sustain the performance to the best level. Achieving small goals does make you happy for some time, but unless you sustain your achievements, you'll just remain where you are. That is why it is said "success is journey, not destination". Successful people are able to sustain performance for a longer course of time, even if it isn't necessary.

What your write and what you mean are two entirely different things. I'm beginning to believe you have absolutely no concept of what your are writing.

This means you compete with your own self. This means healthy competition because each of competitor performs to the best of his abilities, while keeping up to the standards of mutual competition.

Strong Eagle wrote: And Shut Up? Could there be more worthless advice? I deal with teams everyday, where everyone must be mute... they never say sh*t about anything... they are worthless when it comes to being problem solvers. I need people to speak up with ideas.
Have you heard about, "Empty vessels make much noise." So its better to concentrate on delivering more than committing. Undercommit and overdeliver - that's what makes customer happy.

As your already have the first two wrong, there is no way you will ever accomplish the third which again what you mean as absolutely nothing to do with what you wrote.

Frankly, I'd say you were wasting both your time and with the apparent attitude you write with, your employer's time as well. PR? Nah, not anytime soon.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

okdone

Post by okdone » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Obviously English is not your first language. Why don't you say what your mean. The two aren't even related. I can Telecomute and do my job better that you do by just showing up. :roll:

What your write and what you mean are two entirely different things. I'm beginning to believe you have absolutely no concept of what your are writing.

As your already have the first two wrong, there is no way you will ever accomplish the third which again what you mean as absolutely nothing to do with what you wrote.

Frankly, I'd say you were wasting both your time and with the apparent attitude you write with, your employer's time as well. PR? Nah, not anytime soon.
Well it is my employer's decision to keep me or not, not yours. Even still, each and every company has definite set of performance parameters. And particularly for contract employees, with no job security at the end of year, there is no other way than to perform well.

If I wouldn't be able to perform(as per your hallucinations), I would have been off here. I had been awarded as a junior scientist at District Level which is in itself a great achievement in our place. I had been a consistent performer in academics as well as in my previous jobs, that's why I was selected after 100 interviews for a multidimensional profile which I hold.

And English not being my first language!!! How does that make me inferior by the way?

Its already very late so I wanted to finish that reply fast. Didn't bothered to look at it grammatically just trying to convey what is intended.

"TWO WRONGS!!!", by the way where did you prove me wrong? This is your presumption, not a fact. Please go through the writing again. I think primary school children will be able to understand what I want to convey above. Not you!!! ( I guess English is not your primary language.)

:twisted:

Ginner-Sg

Post by Ginner-Sg » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:24 am

okdone wrote:

Well it is my employer's decision to keep me or not, not yours. Even still, each and every company has definite set of performance parameters. And particularly for contract employees, with no job security at the end of year, there is no other way than to perform well.

If I wouldn't be able to perform(as per your hallucinations), I would have been off here. I had been awarded as a junior scientist at District Level which is in itself a great achievement in our place. I had been a consistent performer in academics as well as in my previous jobs, that's why I was selected after 100 interviews for a multidimensional profile which I hold.

And English not being my first language!!! How does that make me inferior by the way?

Its already very late so I wanted to finish that reply fast. Didn't bothered to look at it grammatically just trying to convey what is intended.

"TWO WRONGS!!!", by the way where did you prove me wrong? This is your presumption, not a fact. Please go through the writing again. I think primary school children will be able to understand what I want to convey above. Not you!!! ( I guess English is not your primary language.)

:twisted:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Lol I think you should just give up now. :roll:

okdone

Post by okdone » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:37 am

Ginner-Sg wrote:Lol I think you should just give up now. :roll:
Whatever.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:57 am

You are obviously not an IIT graduate. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

okdone

Post by okdone » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You are obviously not an IIT graduate. :roll:
What does that mean? Not being an IIT graduate still doesn't qualify me to be unproductive/under-productive. In any case your Idea of carrying forward the legacy of imperialist colonial psychology of categorizing "Native English Speaking Population" as the only superior assemblage, isn't a practical hypothesis at all.

English today is probably the third largest language by number of native speakers, after Mandarin Chinese and Spanish.

Overall in the 20th century, Asia was seen as the area with most growth. The trend is expected to continue into the 21st century, with the majority of economic growth in the region being powered by the rapidly expanding economies of China and India, coupled with significant growth occurring in certain parts of South,South-East and especially East Asia. Out of the 10 fastest growing countries in the world, half of that number are located in Asia.
2009 Growth Rate:- China(8.7%), India(7.4%), East-Timor(7.2%),Laos(6.4%),Bangaladesh(5.6%).
(Please note, these countries are not Native English speakers. English is second language in these countries.)

Talk of history, present or future. Productivity does not relate to being a "Native English Speaker" at all as your delusive hypothesis seek to impose.

The expansion of the British Empire and—since World War II—the influence of the United States have spread English throughout the globe. Because of that global spread, English has developed a host of English dialects and English-based creole languages and pidgins. Several educated native dialects of English have wide acceptance as standards in much of the world, with much emphasis placed on one dialect based on educated southern British and another based on educated Midwestern American.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_la ... stribution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... rowth_rate

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:33 am

All that, still doesn't obviate the fact that your signature means one thing but you want it to means something else entirely different. Hope your comprehension of Spanish and Mandarin are better than your comprehension of English, Native speaker (your mention, not mine) or not, you are still wrong. Maybe that's why you are on still on a Q1 Pass?

Anyway, this is a useless conversation, as "you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" as the old saying goes, so good luck with your PR application. I feel you might need it.

okdone

Post by okdone » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Native speaker (your mention, not mine)
This is your comment not mine:-
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Obviously English is not your first language.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hope your comprehension of Spanish and Mandarin are better than your comprehension of English. Maybe that's why you are on still on a Q1 Pass?
Your delusions are surpassed by nothing else but your delusions only. My being in Q1 Pass is not related to my English verbatim either. Having English as first language does not certify you to be more successful or guarantees you a success in PR application.
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Anyway, this is a useless conversation, as "you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" as the old saying goes, so good luck with your PR application. I feel you might need it.
When your prejudices have crippled your comprehension of simple facts and plain language, I don't think anybody can help you.

Now I am really amazed at how you've sustained in Singapore for so long, obsessed with your prejudices & crippled from understanding of any facts. You should voluntarily retire instead of wasting your and your employer's time & money.