Singapore Expats

Former PR wants its status back? Help and advice pls.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Police123

Former PR wants its status back? Help and advice pls.

Post by Police123 » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 4:27 am

Hey guys, i am 18, born in Singapore. But i am not Singaporean, i was awarded SG PR. I canceled my PR two years ago and went overseas to continue to study, and i was wondering if i can get it back my Singapore PR status somehow. Do i need to apply for PR as foreigners? Or is there other methods? And i was wondering of this process if this whole process is from the ministry of manpower? or ministry of foreign affairs? Or?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 6:53 am

Need to know more of your situation like

1. Where were your family from ?

2. Your Parents are first Gen PR

3. How do you come about relinquishing your PR two years ago.

4. Where did you go for further studies and what level : Uni ? or ???

5. Is this a question of "what if" or it has already happened

6. Where are your parent now ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Police123

Post by Police123 » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 7:28 am

1) I am from Indonesia. Indonesian nationality.

2) My grandparents are now Singaporean, but when my grandparents are Singaporeans, my father is already over 21, so my father is a PR but does not "convert" it to a "Singaporean passport?".

3 & 4)I don't understand this question but i revoke my PR so that i can USA to study university.

5 & 6)Yeah it happened already. One in Indonesia and one in Singapore for "can say so holiday".

I have a friend in the US who is in the same boat as me. But he is US citizen. Grandparents are Singaporeans. But father & mother US citizens too. He is 19. I heard that dual citizenship is not possible in Singapore; or is there a way around it?

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 1:48 pm

Hi, I am facing the predicament now.

My background in point form (long story) :

- I am a Malaysian Chinese in my 30s
- was a SPR from age 2 to 16 years old, revoked my SPR status upon receiving the NS enlistment letter
- continued to stay in Singapore with my parents (first gen SPR) on student pass and later, on EP.
- currently on EP P2 and working for a MNC for the past few years
- am married to a Singapore citizen for 12 years
- have two children (a boy and girl) who are born singapore citizens.

In 2008, my EP's renewal was rejected and it scared the wits out of me as I thought I had to leave the country and leave my family. I appealed through my company and a MP. It was subsequently approved.

After that scare, I decided to re-apply for SPR. It was rejected after a 7months wait. I appealed twice through MPs and each time, the same standard rejection letter was received - rejected due to failure to fulfil NS obligation.

In my appeal letters to ICA, I proposed "paying" back the two years of NS in what ever way I can, eg be enlisted, sign on Army etc.... Apparently it didn't work.

I was advised by some to get my wife to sponsor my SPR application. We submitted the application last Oct and we received the same rejection letter last week.

We are at a loss now. We know we have to appeal but what else can we include in our letter to enhance my chances of getting back my SPR? The staff at ICA told me that there's no point in going to a MP to get an appeal letter.

:cry: would appreciate if anyone can give me your views on my situation.

TIA :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 3:27 pm

Unless MS can pull a rabbit, nobody else have been able to find, out of his hat, I'm afraid you are up the proverbial creek with the proverbial paddle. I have been warning people on the site for the past 6 years (those trying to get their PR son's out of Singapore) that when they do it, they are screwing the child's future completely. Singapore has always be adamant about that, If you screw around with NS you will ultimately be the one to pay. The gahmen have a long, long memory. I'm afraid your's is a classic case, so please don't hold your breath.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 3:51 pm

Yes, it was an obvious mistake which my parents made almost 20years ago. Then, my parents didn't know the adverse effect it would had on us. My brother who's one year my senior also revoked his SPR status together with me. He was however luckily. He reapplied for his SPR a few years ago and was granted back his SPR status. He received his NS enlistment letter soon after obtaining the approval and he served his two years in the Army.

I am just sincerely asking to be given a second chance. I know it's gonna be tough but I have to keep trying for the sake of my family.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 5:51 pm

Police123 wrote:1) I am from Indonesia. Indonesian nationality.

2) My grandparents are now Singaporean, but when my grandparents are Singaporeans, my father is already over 21, so my father is a PR but does not "convert" it to a "Singaporean passport?".

3 & 4)I don't understand this question but i revoke my PR so that i can USA to study university.

5 & 6)Yeah it happened already. One in Indonesia and one in Singapore for "can say so holiday".

I have a friend in the US who is in the same boat as me. But he is US citizen. Grandparents are Singaporeans. But father & mother US citizens too. He is 19. I heard that dual citizenship is not possible in Singapore; or is there a way around it?
Correct me if I am wrong. You went to US when you are 16. Have you completed your Uni or not.
If you have not when will you complete your Uni ?

If you can complete it before 21, then contact ICA and CMPB of your intention to serve NS. Only by serving NS if they still allow you , will you regain your SPR. If you have reach the age of 25 by the time you finish your Uni then your chance is good as gone.
You can still look for employment here if your skillset meet the requirement.Easier said than done as MOM and ICA will realise that you skip NS hence to get employment pass will be tough.Employer may want to hire you but it is MOM that issues the passes.
Forget about regaining your PR if you chose not to serve NS. Mindef and ICA will consider your request thoroughly in order to accede to your request in serving NS but at least there is still hope if you are under 25.
I know under the Indonesian Law that one cannot serve another country military as I am Indonesian too but I still did my NS duties and till now no harm has come to me from Indonesia side of law
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 6:08 pm

leeboy wrote:Yes, it was an obvious mistake which my parents made almost 20years ago. Then, my parents didn't know the adverse effect it would had on us. My brother who's one year my senior also revoked his SPR status together with me. He was however luckily. He reapplied for his SPR a few years ago and was granted back his SPR status. He received his NS enlistment letter soon after obtaining the approval and he served his two years in the Army.

I am just sincerely asking to be given a second chance. I know it's gonna be tough but I have to keep trying for the sake of my family.
Your EP has a validity of two years I think. If that fails on renewal, apply for LTSVP from ICA . At least this allows you to stay with your family. You have a son and SG spouse that account for something. They cannot break the family unit for the citizen. This is the family law enacted years ago.
Now on your predicament as you are already above the age of 25, there is not much room to maneuver.
Keep on appealing if you must but I think it is futile. Best step forward look for alternative country Or apply for LTSVP if EP fails then apply for PR going forward. Wife needs to be able to support you with a minimum income of $2.5K.
If my memory serves me correctly there were two cases whereby the husbands renounce their own citizenship for SG in order to stay with own family. The details were a bit sketchy and how they come about to that stage.
Another way is to set up a business and have you employed by the company as a director of the company. At least you can still be with your family
Read ICA website of LTSVP criteria to get yourself prepared of "what if" scenarios.
Honestly to regain PR, if you have already been informed my ICA that you skipped NS , looks very bleak. This route has already closed for you.
You need to go another way where you can have a better chance of approval.

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 6:26 pm

Hi MS, really appreciate your views and advice on my case. Will still go ahead and appeal under my wife's sponsorship. Even though knowing the chances may be bleak, that's the only option we have for now. Still cracking our heads on what to write for our appeal. Hmm.....

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 6:35 pm

leeboy wrote:Hi MS, really appreciate your views and advice on my case. Will still go ahead and appeal under my wife's sponsorship. Even though knowing the chances may be bleak, that's the only option we have for now. Still cracking our heads on what to write for our appeal. Hmm.....
It is not about what you need to write. ICA only see if there is anything new to add. You need to change your strategy.
I have ex Sg Friend , an Ozzie. Brought their children(boys) out to skip NS. Everything done by the book. Years later , family cannot get use to Ozzie ways of living. Apply to regain SG citizenship. That was 20 years ago !!
Till now rejected. Now lives in NZ. Regret and cursing their luck.
Unless the Gahmen change the law, there is a big sticker on your forehead that is difficult to remove. You need to understand this

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 8:04 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:If that fails on renewal, apply for LTSVP from ICA . At least this allows you to stay with your family. You have a son and SG spouse that account for something. They cannot break the family unit for the citizen. This is the family law enacted years ago.
Unfortunately, ICA has absolutely no qualms about breaking up families, citizens or not. If they did, then there would be people like me taking care of both my nephew and his 3 year old daughter (both citizens) because they won't let the mother return to Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Sat, 26 Feb 2011 9:07 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
leeboy wrote:Hi MS, really appreciate your views and advice on my case. Will still go ahead and appeal under my wife's sponsorship. Even though knowing the chances may be bleak, that's the only option we have for now. Still cracking our heads on what to write for our appeal. Hmm.....
It is not about what you need to write. ICA only see if there is anything new to add. You need to change your strategy.
I have ex Sg Friend , an Ozzie. Brought their children(boys) out to skip NS. Everything done by the book. Years later , family cannot get use to Ozzie ways of living. Apply to regain SG citizenship. That was 20 years ago !!
Till now rejected. Now lives in NZ. Regret and cursing their luck.
Unless the Gahmen change the law, there is a big sticker on your forehead that is difficult to remove. You need to understand this
I do understand that it may be useless. But no harm trying as my EP is still valid until 3rd qtr of 2012. This time, at the suggestion frm someone, we are writing to SM Goh. We are from his constituency. Hope he will help us write an appeal letter to ica. Just trying, heehee. In the meantime will look at other possible avenue - eg applying for PR elsewhere. Will see how it goes.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 1:53 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Unfortunately, ICA has absolutely no qualms about breaking up families, citizens or not. If they did, then there would be people like me taking care of both my nephew and his 3 year old daughter (both citizens) because they won't let the mother return to Singapore.
SMS; Is the mother under EP or WP before getting married ? There are reasons behind why she was not allowed to stay.
Is your nephew able to support her during LTSVP application ?

Police123

Post by Police123 » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 4:11 am

I think i will finish uni by roughly 21. So there is no way that i can be seen as a complete outsider/ foreigner applying for PR? Does a complete foreigner who have taken the PR subjected to do NS? I have a "friend" who is in MOM, can i ask him to write a letter of recommendation? Would that help me?

How about my US citizen friend? Same procedure as me?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 5:45 am

Police123 wrote:I think i will finish uni by roughly 21. So there is no way that i can be seen as a complete outsider/ foreigner applying for PR? Does a complete foreigner who have taken the PR subjected to do NS? I have a "friend" who is in MOM, can i ask him to write a letter of recommendation? Would that help me?

How about my US citizen friend? Same procedure as me?
If you are classified as complete foreigner then you can only apply PR thru LPR scheme via SMC. If you are first gen PR , the answer is NO you will NOT do NS time.
For your case, you cannot go this route as your name is already there for kipping NS. No amount letter either from your friend or MP will make ICA allows you to get your PR back. If you can finish your Uni before 21, then contact them nearing that age . If this fails employment pass is the way to go