Singapore Expats

Pests: ants & geckos

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 9:14 am

the lynx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:One of the girls in the office has bed bugs in her bedroom, I suggested boric powder but I think its banned.
Can someone suggest a remedy to get rid of bed bugs? the girl has 3 children so a poison non toxic to humans would be what I'm looking for.
Complicated. I'd say hire a professional. Look at SMS's link for recommendations.

Whatever she does, she MUST not remove her luggages, bags and other articles out of the infested room, unless she has satisfied herself that there is no single bed bug inside the seams etc. She'd better not create cross-infestation in other rooms at this point of time.
well looks like they are calling the exterminators. Guess the source of these creatures? - her sister who happens to be an air hostess! :|
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 9:28 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
the lynx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:One of the girls in the office has bed bugs in her bedroom, I suggested boric powder but I think its banned.
Can someone suggest a remedy to get rid of bed bugs? the girl has 3 children so a poison non toxic to humans would be what I'm looking for.
Complicated. I'd say hire a professional. Look at SMS's link for recommendations.

Whatever she does, she MUST not remove her luggages, bags and other articles out of the infested room, unless she has satisfied herself that there is no single bed bug inside the seams etc. She'd better not create cross-infestation in other rooms at this point of time.
well looks like they are calling the exterminators. Guess the source of these creatures? - her sister who happens to be an air hostess! :|
Very common.

1. Cabin crew
2. Maids
3. Business travellers
4. Backpackers
5. Anyone coming from bed bug reservoirs (dorms, hotels, motels etc)

For those reasons, I've developed a habit of checking my hotel room, NOT placing my stuff inside the hotel wardrobe, leaving my luggage on luggage rack at all times AND checking my luggage after each trip before I wheel it to my room for unpacking.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:06 am

Unfortunately, even the best 5 star hotels have regular maintenance programs regarding BBs. Travelers are the biggest transporters of BBs worldwide. In NYC it's of epidemic proportions now. It's a major expense, getting rid of the little bloodsuckers and they have to do it virtually every week. Good sniffer dogs are worth a fortune (they are trained just like drug sniffer dogs) and a really bad infestation will smell like almonds or rasberries.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lonewolf88

Re: Pests: ants & geckos

Post by lonewolf88 » Thu, 03 Jan 2019 8:54 am

Anyone facing problem of ants coming in from external wall?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:58 am

lonewolf88 wrote:Anyone facing problem of ants coming in from external wall?
If ants are coming from somewhere externally, there has got to be a nest and a queen somewhere. You are going to have to find this nest if you hope to have success, otherwise, the little buggers are just out to colonize your place.

lonewolf88

Post by lonewolf88 » Thu, 03 Jan 2019 3:42 pm

It is too difficult to find the nest if external, I called TC, even their pest control cannot find. They ended up spraying only.
Strong Eagle wrote:
lonewolf88 wrote:Anyone facing problem of ants coming in from external wall?
If ants are coming from somewhere externally, there has got to be a nest and a queen somewhere. You are going to have to find this nest if you hope to have success, otherwise, the little buggers are just out to colonize your place.