Singapore Expats Forum

Feedback regards to salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
Calmday
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Jurong

Postby Calmday » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 1:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BillyB wrote:.... i.e. is this disposable amount enough to go out, visit orchard towers on a weekly basis


que pasa ?? OT has the cheapest places to eat .. like the Chop Stix and the Thai food place .. : :???: :???:

How did OT turn expensive ?? :mad: :twisted:
Hahaaha I know a guy who spends a boat load of money there. Not on food.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 2:25 pm

Calmday wrote:
BillyB wrote:And its quite ironic don't you think that you are clearly quite aggressive in your nature, and you are the one writing about picking fights!! :wink:
LOL Gangster lingo? Not quite.
Ya I have always been that way. I will bend over backwards to help anyone that I can or to stand up for anyone who seems to be getting bullied (scars and a VA check every month to prove it). Even back in elementary school I was the kid who would stand up to the bully when they picked on other kids. I guess I haven’t really changed and the bullies have just moved on to the internet.
And if you were that concerned saving a company time and money you wouldn’t be surfing message boards at work.
:wink: :wink:

Either way, don’t bother with me. I like sparing on forums and have issues with having to get the last word. :)


I hardly think we fall into the categories of bullies having just spoken our minds!! Harsh criticism yes, bullying certainly not.

And thanks for your concern over my P&L and productivity, but I'm off work today. :wink: :wink: :wink:

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 2:30 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BillyB wrote:.... i.e. is this disposable amount enough to go out, visit orchard towers on a weekly basis


que pasa ?? OT has the cheapest places to eat .. like the Chop Stix and the Thai food place .. : :???: :???:

How did OT turn expensive ?? :mad: :twisted:


I meant the other type of takeaway available from OT. The 'stalls' usually open about 8ish and I've heard the quality of the 'dishes' gets worse the longer the night goes on!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 2:35 pm

Depends on whether or not your are wearing your beer goggles. :shock:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 4:11 pm

BillyB wrote:
Calmday wrote:LOL you guys are like a pack of rabid dogs waiting to pounce. Y'all must lay awake at night worrying about people posting questions that have been asked before. =D>


I disagree. Its called being lazy and taking the easy option. If I was paying a member of staff 60k GBP per year, I'd expect them to have an ounce of intelligence and pro-activeness and to be able understand their expenses, lifestyle and commitments (Given everyone is different on this front its impossible to generalise). Then, go on the internet find some comparison / benchmarks by looking at cost of living indexes for a starting point. Take into account the currency conversion, look at tax rates. Then look on a few accommodation sites, dining sites, this forum to find past threads, and make a judgement based on that.

Then ask more specific questions with figures quoted i.e. is this disposable amount enough to go out, visit orchard towers on a weekly basis, dine at 3 michelin starred restaurants or does it mean I will have to eat rice every night, drink petrol and get my satisfaction off the internet.

It may sound like a rant but this isn't a kindergarten and, like madscientist said, we aren't mindreaders!


Ah, a force 9 gale of sanity! :)

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 4:26 pm

Calmday wrote:LOL you guys are like a pack of rabid dogs waiting to pounce. Y'all must lay awake at night worrying about people posting questions that have been asked before. =D>


Calmday

First of all, JR8 and myself are in the same time zone with Plavt. Hence we are awake while you guys are sleeping. Please do not shoot wildly
IMHO, questions that has not been asked before, deserve attention. The OP questions has been asked N times every week. The search button is the first step to go. That is all . OP needs to help himself and if for some reason he is still unable to look for one, I believe many will come to the rescue if need be.
I resent your manner of describing us as rabid dogs.
It takes one to know one.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 8:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Calmday,

You'd be surprised if you knew how many westerners here who are on P2 Passes with income just under the P1 threshold. In fact, there is a wide band of them in the P1 7-9/mo range (mostly engineers in the civil/building sector). I thing the majority of the ones you are referring to are in the banking/financial sector. Where I tend to get thrown is we tend to still use the SGD 1.50 : USD $1 mindset. A large number of these engineers are working for western contractors and their contracts were in USD so they are taking a beating on the exchange rates now.


There are quite a few us here on P2 passes, and whilst I am not with family, if the guy has to work long hours then 10K should be pretty simple to live on and have a good time too. Its when you have plenty of free time that the spending starts to rise. :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Calmday
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Jurong

Postby Calmday » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 8:19 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Calmday wrote:LOL you guys are like a pack of rabid dogs waiting to pounce. Y'all must lay awake at night worrying about people posting questions that have been asked before. =D>


Calmday

First of all, JR8 and myself are in the same time zone with Plavt. Hence we are awake while you guys are sleeping. Please do not shoot wildly
IMHO, questions that has not been asked before, deserve attention. The OP questions has been asked N times every week. The search button is the first step to go. That is all . OP needs to help himself and if for some reason he is still unable to look for one, I believe many will come to the rescue if need be.
I resent your manner of describing us as rabid dogs.
It takes one to know one.
First let me apologize for the "rabid dog" comment. In my culture it would not be considered that offensive.
I still disagree with flaming people who ask questions that have already been asked. I mean it’s just a friggen message board. Believe it or not, a lot of people don’t sit at work and surf them all day. Some people might not realize that there is certain etiquette or that there is even a search function. People actually search this site out to find help with their questions. If you are too annoyed with their ignorance to help them then don’t. But you don’t need to be rude to them.
I was trying to help my dad gain a little confidence with his computer skills so I set him up on an auto restoration forum (something that he has a strong passion for). Well the first time he logged on by himself the aholes flamed him. Why? Yep you guessed it. He committed the crime of asking a question that had been asked before. He has more knowledge on the subject of classic auto restoration than 90% of the people on that board and is the type that will help anyone and everyone. :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 9:13 am

calmday, I agree with you to an extent. You are looking at it from a single POV, and that's to be expected. I agree with the pile on factor only though. If I or somebody else chastises the OP then there is no real reason for everybody else to "pile on" like it's a player trying to take in through the middle from the two yard line for the TD. However, frustration affects everybody and yes, it's too easy to vent, just like your expletive yesterday. :wink:

However, databases take up space on HDD's and server's are expensive if we want the latency to be something we can live with. Creating useless threads asking the same question so we have to regurgitate the same answers over and over because some "talented" rube is too damned lazy to use the excellent search function built into this software gets up peoples noses as it like reading the same book over and over. Only a very few books are worth reading twice.

I mean it’s just a friggen message board. ................or that there is even a search function


That goes both ways doesn't it? Some people might not know there is even a search function? They found the site didn't they? They are supposed to be foreign "talent" right? Surely they are talented enough to understand and find a search function, especially as most already have put in a signature line and therefore would have had to see not one but two different available search functions (double the reason for not having done a search). Most of it comes down to being lazy and hoping others will use 'their' time to do the OP's work.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 9:40 am

Calmday wrote:Believe it or not, a lot of people don’t sit at work and surf them all day. Some people might not realize that there is certain etiquette or that there is even a search function.


Anticipating some scud missiles, my 2 cents opinion: if you wade into a forum, not knowing how to do search - firstly, my simple logic is what are you doing there - well, it may not rub off rightly .. but .. let me go on to the next one ..

If you want a forum - where people are not paid to answer, to consolidate and search and give you the answer and frown on those who tell you not to ask the same question, you should be going to "Paid" forums where people are paid to do your legwork .. I stopped contributing to some forums where the same question is asked everyday, and I say "rtf" - my hide gets poked with a thousand hot embers ... and I only could wonder what I am doing there - where guys expect answers to be 'searched' and 'presented' in a concise format - and when nobody replies, the newbies start to throw tantrum about the elders not bothering to do what is expected - i.e. to repeat the same answer again, and again ..

heck, maybe that didn't come our nice .. but .. am gonna drown myself in the flak coming my way

Rant off :)

cheers

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:37 am

Calmday wrote:Some people might not realize that there is certain etiquette or that there is even a search function.


That seems to be rather like saying that just because you go to France, you should not be expected to know that they speak French. And that, one didn't know walking around with your pants around one's knees might be an issue.

I sympathise regarding your father's experience, but that said I do not think that you prepared him adequately for the inevitable rough and tumble of joining a forum. Most forums I know are more saloon bar, than tea-room for retirees.

Calmday wrote:I mean it’s just a friggen message board.


Sigh, no it is not. It is a community of people, sharing, learning and growing together. That is typically what a good forum is. We are like a Rotary Club of the web, experienced and happy to give those willing to help themselves a leg up.

Frankly for those who come and ask inane questions ('Is $10k a month enough to live on?'), as SMS says, they are looking to the regulars here to do all their legwork for them and then wipe their butts. Well, guess what?

Calmday wrote: Believe it or not, a lot of people don’t sit at work and surf them all day.


And who's problem is that meant to be, ours?

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:49 am

Maybe the following can be implemented by the forum administrators:
New members (e.g. those with less than 5 posts, like the PM sending threshold) will have to answer "Yes" to the question "Have you searched the forum and made sure that your question is not already answered in other threads?"
This will limit repeat questions to those who cannot (or won't) read, not just those who cannot (or won't) search. (How such people can write a post is unclear to me, but at least we then have even more reason to ridicule them - which is kind of fun.)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:58 am

beppi wrote:Maybe the following can be implemented by the forum administrators:
New members (e.g. those with less than 5 posts, like the PM sending threshold) will have to answer "Yes" to the question "Have you searched the forum and made sure that your question is not already answered in other threads?"


Or - I got a better solution - being Singapore, and nothing being free - just pay me 3 $ per search :) :) :lol: :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:31 pm

beppi wrote:This will limit repeat questions to those who cannot (or won't) read, not just those who cannot (or won't) search. (How such people can write a post is unclear to me, but at least we then have even more reason to ridicule them - which is kind of fun.)


[-X :lol:

User avatar
Calmday
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Jurong

Postby Calmday » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 1:01 pm

OK I concede because my thinking is obviously in the minority but I still disagree. :P
Most of you guys have been a help to me or my family at one time or another and it is appreciated.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests