Singapore Expats Forum

How do you look at china and future of china

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

paulzheng
Regular
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon, 14 Feb 2011

How do you look at china and future of china

Postby paulzheng » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:29 am

As china bebcome the world second large econonic country, how do you look at china and the future of china?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:55 am

Twenty years ago the writing was already on the wall. When my eldest child started Kindergarten I had her take Mandarin as her Second Language (I'm a Yank & my wife is an Indian). She is fluent in the language as is my son. I figured, of all the languages in the world, aside from English (which ever flavour you prefer) Mandarin would shortly become the most valuable second language in the world. Who knows, not in my lifetime, but eventually it may well become the de facto international business language as English did in the 1960's (replacing french).

However, while China is increasing it's economic footprint worldwide, in SE Asia and for that matter East Asia, she will be viewed with suspicion for a very long time.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:38 pm

...just dropping by to keep the 50 Cent Army from astroturfing this thread.

"Tiananmen Square"

"Jasmine Revolution"

There. This thread is now blocked in PRC. You may now resume discussions.

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Twenty years ago the writing was already on the wall. When my eldest child started Kindergarten I had her take Mandarin as her Second Language (I'm a Yank & my wife is an Indian). She is fluent in the language as is my son. I figured, of all the languages in the world, aside from English (which ever flavour you prefer) Mandarin would shortly become the most valuable second language in the world. Who knows, not in my lifetime, but eventually it may well become the de facto international business language as English did in the 1960's (replacing french).

However, while China is increasing it's economic footprint worldwide, in SE Asia and for that matter East Asia, she will be viewed with suspicion for a very long time.


Interesting thoughts on Mandarin as I am teaching my little one it but I dont think it willl catch on in the same way mainly because english as a business language dosent have the slight inflections with totally different meanings mandarin has which can spell trouble in business dealings, enlish language is supported by english law or avriants of an important point in business dealings and china dosent have satellite provinces all speaking english around the world except, HK and Singpore. So although its got cash and will attract business I dont think it has the fundamentals supporting it. As to china theres some good forward looking books that study how empires grow or dissolve and most of them come up with the same conclusion on china that it wis dissolve which is interesting. I think they will be around flexing muscle for awhile.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:53 pm

nakatago wrote:...just dropping by to keep the 50 Cent Army from astroturfing this thread.

"Tiananmen Square"

"Jasmine Revolution"

There. This thread is now blocked in PRC. You may now resume discussions.


To be honest, I don't think Paul knows about the incidents. Naka, you're quite familiar with 50 Cent Army, (better say 50 Cent party, in a way of the quantities of members, you can call them army), that surprised me. 8-)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 1:05 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
nakatago wrote:...just dropping by to keep the 50 Cent Army from astroturfing this thread.

"Tiananmen Square"

"Jasmine Revolution"

There. This thread is now blocked in PRC. You may now resume discussions.


To be honest, I don't think Paul knows about the incidents. Naka, you're quite familiar with 50 Cent Army, (better say 50 Cent party, in a way of the quantities of members, you can call them army), that surprised me. 8-)


If China's gonna be a major world power, I might as well get familiar with it...and that's why I'm nervous about that.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 1:28 pm

nakatago wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:
nakatago wrote:...just dropping by to keep the 50 Cent Army from astroturfing this thread.

"Tiananmen Square"

"Jasmine Revolution"

There. This thread is now blocked in PRC. You may now resume discussions.


To be honest, I don't think Paul knows about the incidents. Naka, you're quite familiar with 50 Cent Army, (better say 50 Cent party, in a way of the quantities of members, you can call them army), that surprised me. 8-)


If China's gonna be a major world power, I might as well get familiar with it...and that's why I'm nervous about that.


Without a polictal reform that they are going to be a major world power? I don't think it works out this way. That's why we are humans. After having enough to eat and wear, they are going to ask more, e.g. rights and freedom and so on. I trust that people in China will do the same, ask what they should have and deserve as human, then CCP has to consider to start political reform, that Wen already said in the interview with CNN, though he's got not much power, some old guys from Mao generation still have the last words. But next generation (?) of Wen and Hu is going to do it...if not, the people will start it from bottom-up.

So don't be nervous. Stay cool. :cool: Do you doubt the universal values, for which the mankind has fought for thousands of years, will not exist anymore? Come on.... I'm optimistic. 8-)

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 2:01 pm

Actually I'm with SMS on this one Mandarin will be the leading language in commerce for the Chinese people, though I suspect another 20 years. I have heard the UK have adopted Mandarin as a second language in some schools, not all.

Also the reason it will lead is due to its population size 1,330,141,295 in the commercial world that's a lot of potential consumers compared to any place else, though manufacturing will gradually move to cheaper locations like Vietnam. India's growth is still on the increase but a long way from China.

The future will most certainly be in the hands of the Chinese as all nations fight for business. Hence the reason that children would be wise to learn Chinese if they are aiming to be employed by any industries or services dealing with China. I specifically married a Taiwanese Chinese, with business skills 10 years ago, with the idea of building business and operating from Singapore.

My 10 year old daughter is welcome to choose her own profession but we hope she will take interest in an expanding global business. We are in Taiwan, Malaysia, and Singapore with chosen Chinese health related foods, with no preservatives, with a focus on natural health. We import & export as well as manufacture food & beverages. Long term planning is part of our strategy to reach our global partners. Under estimating China would be a mistake as most USA, UK and Europeans search out alternative locations for manufacturing, with the aim of penetrating China consumer market.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 2:06 pm

USSR was supposed to supersede US. It failed and Russia is a mess now.
Japan was supposed to supersede US. It failed and is in a mess as well.

During the hay days of both these countries, nobody could have predicted that. I believe the same thing will happen with China. At this time we dont know what would that thing be that will trigger its collapse. So I am one who like to take a contrarion call on this one :wink:

Expat_guy
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Postby Expat_guy » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 2:39 pm

In my opinion, it depends on how they do the transition from one party autocratic rule to multiparty democracy. They did a wonderful job transitioning from communism to capitalistic economy and once the people have got money, enough food, stable jobs they will start asking for more. If the communist party of china and the army understands this and facilitate a smooth transition then we can see a China dominating the world otherwise, they may have a bloody revolution or a civil war which will take them back by few decades.

paulzheng
Regular
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon, 14 Feb 2011

Postby paulzheng » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 2:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Twenty years ago the writing was already on the wall. When my eldest child started Kindergarten I had her take Mandarin as her Second Language (I'm a Yank & my wife is an Indian). She is fluent in the language as is my son. I figured, of all the languages in the world, aside from English (which ever flavour you prefer) Mandarin would shortly become the most valuable second language in the world. Who knows, not in my lifetime, but eventually it may well become the de facto international business language as English did in the 1960's (replacing french).

However, while China is increasing it's economic footprint worldwide, in SE Asia and for that matter East Asia, she will be viewed with suspicion for a very long time.


you really have a long term view for the whole situation since you start do some preparation twenty years ago.

by them way, it is the first i know that english replace french in 1960's, so lately?...

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 3:16 pm

revhappy wrote:USSR was supposed to supersede US. It failed and Russia is a mess now.
Japan was supposed to supersede US. It failed and is in a mess as well.

During the hay days of both these countries, nobody could have predicted that. I believe the same thing will happen with China. At this time we dont know what would that thing be that will trigger its collapse. So I am one who like to take a contrarion call on this one :wink:


Never underestimate sheer numbers. With most of manufacturing based in China right now, China is holding a lot of cards though I think it's not in their best interest for the US economy to collapse as that debt will go poof and who'll buy all that stuff?

@Nath21: I read somewhere that the CCP elders are already clamoring for more freedom. The politburo, however, is holding on tooth, fang and claw. I read somewhere that even Hu Jintao has some frustrations, in spite him being a member or something. They already took steps to prevent what happened and is happening in the Middle East from happening to them (e.g. filtering "Egypt" and currently "Jasmine Revolution"). Question now is, how long will the Chinese bear with this? It has to reach critical mass--the police can't arrest everyone.
Last edited by nakatago on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulzheng
Regular
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon, 14 Feb 2011

Postby paulzheng » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 3:16 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
nakatago wrote:...just dropping by to keep the 50 Cent Army from astroturfing this thread.

"Tiananmen Square"

"Jasmine Revolution"

There. This thread is now blocked in PRC. You may now resume discussions.


To be honest, I don't think Paul knows about the incidents. Naka, you're quite familiar with 50 Cent Army, (better say 50 Cent party, in a way of the quantities of members, you can call them army), that surprised me. 8-)


Haha, i will sorry to say, i know quite much about the Tiananmen Square, and i am keep to care about this issue...

There are two picture shocked me in recent Egypt affair.

1) tens of thousands Egypt people knelt down to the same diretion in Cairo when pray
2) Tank in Cairo become Bus, people sit on the Tank

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 4:05 pm

nakatago wrote:
revhappy wrote:USSR was supposed to supersede US. It failed and Russia is a mess now.
Japan was supposed to supersede US. It failed and is in a mess as well.

During the hay days of both these countries, nobody could have predicted that. I believe the same thing will happen with China. At this time we dont know what would that thing be that will trigger its collapse. So I am one who like to take a contrarion call on this one :wink:


Never underestimate sheer numbers. With most of manufacturing based in China right now, China is holding a lot of cards though I think it's not in their best interest for the US economy to collapse as that debt will go poof and who'll buy all that stuff?

@Nath21: I read somewhere that the CCP elders are already clamoring for more freedom. The politburo, however, is holding on tooth, fang and claw. I read somewhere that even Hu Jintao has some frustrations, in spite him being a member or something. They already took steps to prevent what happened and is happening in the Middle East from happening to them (e.g. filtering "Egypt" and currently "Jasmine Revolution"). Question now is, how long will the Chinese bear with this? It has to reach critical mass--the police can't arrest everyone.


ha... their filtering has never stopped. The words "Norway" and "empty chair" have been filtered as well.

How long? :roll: that's the question...
Last edited by Eau2011 on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 4:06 pm

paulzheng wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:
nakatago wrote:...just dropping by to keep the 50 Cent Army from astroturfing this thread.

"Tiananmen Square"

"Jasmine Revolution"

There. This thread is now blocked in PRC. You may now resume discussions.


To be honest, I don't think Paul knows about the incidents. Naka, you're quite familiar with 50 Cent Army, (better say 50 Cent party, in a way of the quantities of members, you can call them army), that surprised me. 8-)


Haha, i will sorry to say, i know quite much about the Tiananmen Square, and i am keep to care about this issue...

There are two picture shocked me in recent Egypt affair.

1) tens of thousands Egypt people knelt down to the same diretion in Cairo when pray
2) Tank in Cairo become Bus, people sit on the Tank


I'm sorry then.. :oops:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests