Singapore Expats

Do I have any chance?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nutz_85

Do I have any chance?

Post by nutz_85 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 8:40 am

Hello everybody!

I’m new here and I’m seeking some advice.

I am planning to move to Singapore at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012.

My plan is to just come there and look for a job, since it seems to me that it is impossible to find one from my home country, Italy.

I am 26, hold a m.sc. in international economics, speak Italian, French and English fluently, have 1 year experience in international sales and some experience in translating. I’ve worked 9 months as an intern in Bangkok (government agency + white appliances company).

Do you think there is any chance for me to get any job, or should I review my plan?

Thanks for the constructive advice!

Alex

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 9:24 am

A healthy review might be in order, truth be known. But then again, occasionally, stranger things have happened.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Re: Do I have any chance?

Post by revhappy » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 1:28 pm

nutz_85 wrote:Hello everybody!

I’m new here and I’m seeking some advice.

I am planning to move to Singapore at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012.

My plan is to just come there and look for a job, since it seems to me that it is impossible to find one from my home country, Italy.

I am 26, hold a m.sc. in international economics, speak Italian, French and English fluently, have 1 year experience in international sales and some experience in translating. I’ve worked 9 months as an intern in Bangkok (government agency + white appliances company).

Do you think there is any chance for me to get any job, or should I review my plan?

Thanks for the constructive advice!

Alex
Why not try London? UK is more welcoming to EU citizens and its closer to your home as well?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 6:51 pm

Yes, you wouldn't even need a work permit to get a job in the UK. Would sure be easier that way, unless you really want to come here due to other reasons (good climate, etc.) then give it a go and see what comes out of it.

nutz_85

Post by nutz_85 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 10:35 pm

Well, the point is that I want to move to Asia and make a big change in my life. London is close, I can still go there in the future!

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:26 am

If this is where you want to be then go for it, I'm just not sure whether it's better to scout out the job market while you're visiting here on a tourist basis, or to try to secure something before you need to travel.

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 3:50 pm

nutz_85 wrote:Well, the point is that I want to move to Asia and make a big change in my life. London is close, I can still go there in the future!
Dude, this is the same reason I want to move to Singapore too. It's not a matter of money, I just want to change my life radically. But have you been there, have you spent some time there to see do you like the people, the surroundings, their way of life?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 3:55 pm

Most of all, do you want to be a hated minority? Can you live with that day in and day out? Will you be able to deal with the fact that everyone on this island considers you a rube and a target to be fleeced for all you have if they can get it? If so, bring it on! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 5:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most of all, do you want to be a hated minority? Can you live with that day in and day out? Will you be able to deal with the fact that everyone on this island considers you a rube and a target to be fleeced for all you have if they can get it? If so, bring it on! :cool:
Oh yeah, to be perfectly honest with you, I'd love to be treated like that. :) To be even more honest, I've been treated exactly the way you describe all my life here in my country, so I wouldn't care if I am treated the same way in Singapore. Having spent more than 40 days over there in the last 4 months, I can only say that I've never felt better and happier in any other country, although all the 3 times I was on social visit pass. I find it very easy for me to communicate with the people and even if some of them clearly don't like me because I'm a f*cking angmoh stranger, I faced a lot more friendliness and appreciation than in my country. Having been reading this depressing forum for the last few months as well, I know that my chances for getting job there are almost zero but I will do anything possible to get there and I mean really. I am ready to give a finger from my left hand for being given a chance to start, so I won't stop trying.

Btw, SMS, I love your style. :wink:

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 8:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most of all, do you want to be a hated minority? Can you live with that day in and day out? Will you be able to deal with the fact that everyone on this island considers you a rube and a target to be fleeced for all you have if they can get it? If so, bring it on! :cool:
SMS, you rotten old cynic!! :shock:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:30 pm

BillyB wrote:
SMS, you rotten old cynic!! :shock:
29 years here will do that to you...... :cry:

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:38 am

If you worked for a government agency in Bangkok, do you have any contacts who can help you get something there?

Bangkok is much more fun than Singapore :D

adione
Regular
Regular

Post by adione » Tue, 22 Feb 2011 4:39 pm

bobypf wrote:
nutz_85 wrote:Well, the point is that I want to move to Asia and make a big change in my life. London is close, I can still go there in the future!
Dude, this is the same reason I want to move to Singapore too. It's not a matter of money, I just want to change my life radically. But have you been there, have you spent some time there to see do you like the people, the surroundings, their way of life?
"big change", "radically"
are u guys sure? maybe u don't want to move to SG then
what about indonesia? That would be different...
SG it's the safest and easiest place to relocate but the ang mo are still too many if u wanna that CHANGE in life...
IMHO at least

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Tue, 22 Feb 2011 5:02 pm

adione wrote:
bobypf wrote:
"big change", "radically"
are u guys sure? maybe u don't want to move to SG then
what about indonesia? That would be different...
SG it's the safest and easiest place to relocate but the ang mo are still too many if u wanna that CHANGE in life...
IMHO at least
Oh come on, dude. Indonesia is nice to go on vacation but I don't see myself working there. It's a poor country, it's dirty, crime is quite high, the public transport is as bad as in my country... Yeah, you're right that the change would be even more radical, but Singaporean lifestyle is radical enough for me since I live in a poor, dirty and extremely corrupted country. I think it depends on which country you currently live in and what kind of life you're used to.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 22 Feb 2011 5:03 pm

Gee's, give the guy a break. If he likes the lifestyle in Singapore lets be encouraging rather than trying to put the poor sod off coming here!!