Singapore Expats

who else is sick of

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

who else is sick of

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 3:54 am

hearing about what the USA ( although it should match the IQ and be i n small caps ) cares about.
Stop it ...youre not particulary good at wars ( you've won none) and nobody wants you to be in charge of anything, Stop assuming the role thats in your imagination and just get on being fat.... its all good

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 4:49 am

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 6:06 am

Hahahaaaha Jealousy is a biotch. :-({|= :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 8:09 am

It'll be China that we'll be soon hearing of a lot once they finally decide to throw their weight around... :o
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: who else is sick of

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 8:59 am

bigfilsing wrote:hearing about what the USA ( although it should match the IQ and be i n small caps ) cares about.
Kinda like your nick, yeah? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 1:18 pm

Too much tv me thinks.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 1:55 pm

longstebe wrote:Too much tv me thinks.
I think he/she will enjoy watching one particular channel. I was surfing through the channels the other day and came across channel called Russia Today which is CH 151 in starhub and you just watch the channel for half an hour and you will feel you are still in those cold war days :D

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 2:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:hearing about what the USA ( although it should match the IQ and be i n small caps ) cares about.
Kinda like your nick, yeah? :lol:
Ouch :D

I'm just tired of hearing Mrs Clinton this and Obama that. When most of us know you cant touch the real issues any-more for fear of upsetting the Chinese.

On a more positive note. i have to bow to the producers of Shameless US. It's rare that a TV series can be ported across the ocean and be any good. Life on Mars was pretty damn good but Shameless US is top top stuff especially with William H Macy in the lead role. The music used in the episodes is exceptional

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 3:20 pm

I like watching 24hrs, and The Unit, brings back a lot of nostalgic feelings of how it used to be in US and UK, now they are more or less bankrupt, and cutting back on the Countries only defence....UK is down to 1 military hospital with very limited bed space for trauma patients.

It's a bloody disgrace to read that 20,000 British soldiers are locked up in jails in the UK, with over 4000 actually suffering mental problems, because they haven't been getting rehabilitated into civilian street including myself, though i refused to sign my discharge book, it doesn't help as the MOD is legally protected by the crown. Though MP's can destroy their lives forever.

It really pisses me off that i know people on 50k a year welfare benefits, British families as well has Foreign refugees driving new mobility cars every 3 years and my tax was supporting it, until i put 2 fingers up

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 9:34 pm

Stop it ...youre not particulary good at wars ( you've won none) and nobody wants you to be in charge of anything, Stop assuming the role thats in your imagination and just get on being fat.... its all good
Let me see... the US is still, by far, the largest world economy. Like it or not, it is still the world's reserve currency. Like it or not, it still has the largest and best trained military, the world's largest military budget, and has bases/intervenes in more places in the world than any other country.

It still produces the largest number of qualified college graduates. It still educates more foreigners at the college level than any other country, by far. It's foreign aid and humanitarian aid contributions (leaving out military aid) are far ahead of any other country.

It is still the most vibrant democracy, current machinations notwithstanding. In short, the influence, military, economic, and philosophical aspects of the US are such that you would be a fool to ignore what this country does.

How much alcohol did you ingest when you wrote this post?

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:07 pm

...sick of.....USA bashing?

That was So last decade......

It went out before Windows XP, Lehman, and GWB did
Last edited by Brah on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:12 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Let me see... the US is still, by far, the largest world economy. Like it or not, it is still the world's reserve currency. Like it or not, it still has the largest and best trained military, the world's largest military budget, and has bases/intervenes in more places in the world than any other country.

It still produces the largest number of qualified college graduates. It still educates more foreigners at the college level than any other country, by far. It's foreign aid and humanitarian aid contributions (leaving out military aid) are far ahead of any other country.

It is still the most vibrant democracy, current machinations notwithstanding. In short, the influence, military, economic, and philosophical aspects of the US are such that you would be a fool to ignore what this country does.

How much alcohol did you ingest when you wrote this post?
You left out that whenever the sh!t hits the fan, the US is expected to step in and help cool things down.

The world was watching the US when Cairo went to hell in a handbasket. I don't always agree with US policies (I've learned many Americans don't either!), but at some point I think it becomes a case of "step up or sit down".

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:23 pm

I think if there's one thing the Wikileaks diplomatic cables leak did, is it actually painted the US as one of the good guys. Sure, it has its unflattering reports (the spying on diplomats, etc), but generally it showed that the US is sincere in policing the world because nobody else would or somebody asked them to (KSA, Yemen). The US being able to keep doing that job other countries are expecting them, however, is another story. We all know the US got its own massive share of problems right now.

Now, before somebody accuses me of being pro-US, I have a lot of things I don't agree with the US as well and wouldn't currently want to live there.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:11 am

Bilfilsing is just teasing, it's a wind up, he's just pissed that his green card application has been rejected :P :lol: Though I must admit everyone is tiring of wars, so lets all have a pow wow make love and look at the stars 8-) Besides competitiveness needs two teams, we love each other really, SMS i didn't mean that literally speaking :P :wink:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:42 pm

well not so much a wind up as a alcohol (yes SE) induced outlet of frustration following a Friday night "with the boys" Of late "with the boys" has turned into a discussion group and the US's foreign policy is always a good un.

k1w1 > Exactly who expects the US to step in ? Aside from the occasional dictator who is losing power to the masses and bleats like a school girl ( while shifting their amassed millions offshore) . The US have assumed the role of world police , usually only when their interests are threatened.
I get it ...its a big place with a lot of people . Reserve currency mmmmmh can you say bankrupt in Chinese :D

My rant isn't generic USA bashing ...i have visited many times and its a fantastic place with many great people , i am just tired of the US wadding in uninvited to try and bring people the US idea of democracy and values when its clear many dont want it and often the flavour of democracy wont/doesn't work in other countries.

Egypt burst and is calming down without foreign involvement ...my guess (hope) is Libya, Algeria and Iran will do the same. Leave them to it. Maybe not ideal but just how many un-win-able wars do you want to be involved in.