Singapore Expats

EP status Pending

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
moelcybers2003

Post by moelcybers2003 » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 5:34 pm

The benefit a P2 holder has is that a P2 holder can sponsor LTSVPs for his parents and his inlaws. Q2 holders cannot. So thats the only impact you will have.
I'm Q1 holder not Q2. If I'm not mistaken nowadys no more Q2 pass as it was changed to S pass.
The logic behind that was that if you are earning less than 3500$(Q2 pass) you wont have enough to support your parents or inlaws. But since you earn 4.5k+, you should be able to support them. Kinda wierd rule. :?

I'll not apply DP pass for my family. Living in Indonesia still ok for me. Maybe sometimes need to bring my family for refreshing..
Maybe there is something about your profession, your profile or employer that makes MOM sniff something fishy and hence they dont think you can sustain that salary for long and hence to be on the safe side you have been given Q2 pass. If you are able to sustain the job and salary for one year, who knows may be your pass will be upgraded.
With 10+ years IT prof experiences + MCITP-Enterprise Admins + sal P2 range, still makes MOM sniff something fishy on me? :shock:
Of course I'll upgrade my skills eventually. Not cuz I'm working in SG, but it will make us more valuable. :wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 5:47 pm

moelcybers2003 wrote:With 10+ years IT prof experiences + MCITP-Enterprise Admins + sal P2 range, still makes MOM sniff something fishy on me? :shock:
Of course I'll upgrade my skills eventually. Not cuz I'm working in SG, but it will make us more valuable. :wink:
Years ago, experience with certificates were good .. but, of late, a lot of people are making up experience .. and certs are being churned out like a printing press - or they say.

And a simple example is a guy I interviewed few years ago - 20 years old, MCSE, CCIE, A+, MCDP .. and a few more ..

Oh, he couldn't figure out the difference between a cross cable and a straight cable, and to boot, he told me "that is not my work - cabling man is paid to do cabling work .. "

And then I had a guy, with 12 years experience, and when I saw him struggling to identify which cable plugs to which end of a router, did I find out he has clocked 10 years in a Electronics production company, and 2 years IT experience, and only a close inspection revealed that two years had been 'purchased' in his country ..

Well .. not sure if MOM became wiser .. and now looks for "University Degree" as a precursor .. or so I am told ..

Cheers

moelcybers2003

Post by moelcybers2003 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 8:40 pm

Damn..the employer has canceled to hiring me after my EP get approved. :x :x They said my EP application process took too long for the outcome, so they had another candidate (local resources). Cannot believe it. Is there a way to sue the employer?? :mad: :mad:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 9:16 pm

If you haven't started work yet, nothing you can do about it. :( :evil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

moelcybers2003

Post by moelcybers2003 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you haven't started work yet, nothing you can do about it. :( :evil:
When I ask the employer to cancel/withdrawn my EP, how is the possibility of getting my new EP in the future?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:35 pm

Has absolutely no effect. Well, it might if they have already vetted your credentials. Then it would be only a matter of the Employer being able to justify the hiring of a foreigner. Not all companies are created equal, you know.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:28 pm

moelcybers2003 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you haven't started work yet, nothing you can do about it. :( :evil:
When I ask the employer to cancel/withdrawn my EP, how is the possibility of getting my new EP in the future?
If your employer was a douche-bag (no - I found that word from a contributer here ..:) ) he / she may - on rare occasion -give some negative comments for withdrawing the applications .. instead of admitting that they found somebody cheaper or so ..

As SMS says, not all employers are equal: smaller companies tend to have a lot of time to make your life miserable, while bigger companies don't care .. been there, seen that, know what to avoid now :)

So - while I am not pessimistic, just watch out for the employer from hell ..

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 1:47 pm

moelcybers2003 wrote:Damn..the employer has canceled to hiring me after my EP get approved. :x :x They said my EP application process took too long for the outcome, so they had another candidate (local resources). Cannot believe it. Is there a way to sue the employer?? :mad: :mad:
The employer was cheapo, that also explains why you were getting only a Q1 pass so its good that you are not joining them. For your qualification and experience(10 yrs+) you deserve much more than the 4.5K salary and a paltry Q1 pass. So consider it a blessing in disguise and regroup your energy and start afresh.

All the best!!

moelcybers2003

Post by moelcybers2003 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 5:03 pm

The employer was cheapo, that also explains why you were getting only a Q1 pass so its good that you are not joining them. For your qualification and experience(10 yrs+) you deserve much more than the 4.5K salary and a paltry Q1 pass. So consider it a blessing in disguise and regroup your energy and start afresh.

All the best!!
Yeah, you're right. Thanks for your nice advice. But I hope there is a way to sue this company to avoid someone else facing same case. :evil: :evil:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 5:53 pm

moelcybers2003 wrote:The employer was cheapo, that also explains why you were getting only a Q1 pass so its good that you are not joining them. For your qualification and experience(10 yrs+) you deserve much more than the 4.5K salary and a paltry Q1 pass. So consider it a blessing in disguise and regroup your energy and start afresh.
I beg to differ .. In the job market, the more people lining up for the job equates to employers (atleast most of the SMEs) reducing the pay .. example: A Big Financial News Company here recruited 6 guys from an Asean country, as Senior Analysts, for 3,000 $ - a job where anybody sane will not accept it for less than 6,000 $ - yes, I know the job scope ..

One of the new recruits was quite happy, considering he was, with his 10 years experience, drawing less than half that back home .. so ??? it is not exactly a employees market, despite the claims to the contrary ..
Yeah, you're right. Thanks for your nice advice. But I hope there is a way to sue this company to avoid someone else facing same case. :evil: :evil:
Well, the answer for that ?? Yes, you can sue them for 'breach of trust' or something .. want a lawyer ? :)

I Know a lawyer who takes up cases as long as you have the dough - case including slandering .. breach of faith .. etc ....

But, the main thing is, while not condoning your employer, do you want to be marked as PNG once the case becomes news, and then all prospective employers start to shun you ?? :) That, my friend, is the million dollar question ..

moelcybers2003

Post by moelcybers2003 » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:02 pm

Since my EP has been withdrawn, should I apply for EPEC pass to start finding jobs in Singapore?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:16 pm

moelcybers2003 wrote:Since my EP has been withdrawn, should I apply for EPEC pass to start finding jobs in Singapore?
My 2 cents - EPEC is not pre-requisite for EP.

You can apply for EPEC, while doing your job search ...