Singapore Expats Forum

S-Pass rejected twice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
premierse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 15 Feb 2011

S-Pass rejected twice

Postby premierse » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:46 am

Hello all,

I'm new here but i've read the posts about SP and EP and others which might related.
I would like to have your advices for my current situation.
I hold a bachelor degree of economic management (business) from a reputable university in Indonesia, with satisfied GPA, 3.5 years working experience in administration dept. with last position as assistant manager.

There is one small local company doing import and export wholesale of spare-parts, who would like to hire me as a sales and marketing executive for the region of Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

Their employees are 2 Singaporeans and 1 SPR when they first applied me for S-Pass (SP) with salary SGD2,500 in April 2010, but it was rejected by the MOM, no appeal was submitted. So that time i was just waiting in my home country until they re-apply for my SP end of November 2010, with employees: 2 Singaporeans and 2 SPR, but still rejected with no reason stated, like the first one. (both were rejected in less than 1 hour after application submitted online)

My questions:
1. Is it because the position of Sales and Marketing Executive can't be granted to a foreigner?
2. Is it because my previous job is not related to the one I'm applying?
3. Is it because of the quota of the employees?
4. If it is rejected twice, will there be any black-listed thing of me in their data?i.e. i'll be strictly watched for my next application?
5. Should i ask my company to appeal for my second application, considering the time of last rejection was in November last year and its appeal will be this February? Any chance for approval?
6. Is there any effect if my company submit it by handing over the documents to MOM HQ rather than online?

Thank you in advance for your time and advices.

Regards,
premierse

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: S-Pass rejected twice

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 7:46 am

premierse wrote:My questions:
1. Is it because the position of Sales and Marketing Executive can't be granted to a foreigner?
Maybe MOM sees that a local can do the job equally well

2. Is it because my previous job is not related to the one I'm applying?

Not sure

3. Is it because of the quota of the employees?

Probably

4. If it is rejected twice, will there be any black-listed thing of me in their data?i.e. i'll be strictly watched for my next application?

I do not think so

5. Should i ask my company to appeal for my second application, considering the time of last rejection was in November last year and its appeal will be this February? Any chance for approval?

Yeah go ahead and try. Approval unless there are something more that you can add on from your first application or your skillset is in demand , chances very low. But hey go for it does not hurt to appeal

6. Is there any effect if my company submit it by handing over the documents to MOM HQ rather than online?

NO

Thank you in advance for your time and advices.

Regards,
premierse
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: S-Pass rejected twice

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 9:12 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
premierse wrote:My questions:

6. Is there any effect if my company submit it by handing over the documents to MOM HQ rather than online?

NO

The only effect it will have is that it will take twice as long. Don't know why, but it will. I think it's just a ruse to get everybody to use the paperless online method thereby reducing waste & time.


Thank you in advance for your time and advices.

Regards,
premierse

premierse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 15 Feb 2011

Re: S-Pass rejected twice

Postby premierse » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 5:48 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
premierse wrote:My questions:
1. Is it because the position of Sales and Marketing Executive can't be granted to a foreigner?
Maybe MOM sees that a local can do the job equally well


3. Is it because of the quota of the employees?

Probably

5. Should i ask my company to appeal for my second application, considering the time of last rejection was in November last year and its appeal will be this February? Any chance for approval?

Yeah go ahead and try. Approval unless there are something more that you can add on from your first application or your skillset is in demand , chances very low. But hey go for it does not hurt to appeal



Thank you Mad Scientist for your quick advice, notice it was early morning.. :)
1. If I would say that they need me because of the language they should use when marketing to Indonesia, would it be a plus?

3. I think the quota should not be a problem as it has 2 singaporeans and 2 PRs. Am I correct?

5. I will try to ask them to appeal for me, but i'm not sure what the good reason is. And i think they don't know about the appeal because they didn't appeal for me after the first rejection. Or should I advise them to use agent? any recommendation for the agent?

Actually if i can't get the pass, i would like to apply for PR, but i don't think it is a good time for the application. and it's gonna be more that 12 months for the rejection or approval notice.

Anyone has the same position as me? :) kindly share.
Thank you..
premierse

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 8:36 pm

Speaking Bahasa is not that big of a deal if you consider that most older Singaporean speak Malay (I know, there is a difference between the two and you have to be careful when ordering oxtail soup but basically either will work in a marketing sense). Oh, of course we have lots of Malays here already anyway who could do the same job. No added benefit at all, frankly.

If you are applying for a S pass it depends on the dependency ratio of the company. If the company is a service company, unless you are applying for an EP of at least a Q Pass, The company has already busted it quota as it has an equal number of locals and foreigners (The dependency ration is 50% foreigners for a service company) However, you can only have 1 S passholder for every 2 locals employed. If one of the foreigners is already an S pass holder then you are out of luck.

The dependency ratio is calculated as the average number of local employee over the preceding 3 months (not including the current month).

It don't look good. Even if you apply for Landed PR it is currently taking upwards of 14 months to get approved. You could always apply for an EPEC and if you are successful in getting that, then you will know it was the company with the problem and not yourself.

sms

premierse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 15 Feb 2011

Postby premierse » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:45 pm

Thank you SMS for replying :)

yeah, that makes sense if it's only the language. sigh...

dependency ratio? hum.. the company is a trading company, it's in expanding position now, so they need foreigner who can market to those territories. I think it's because the dependency ration is still based on last few months before they recruited 2 new staffs. then i have to wait for another 2 months i think.

EPEC... i've read through the eligibility, i'm not eligible for that because my university is not in the list, weird, it's one of the best for the economic studies. alas, they only stated 3 universities from Indo.

If my brother is already a PR, would it be a plus if i apply for the LPR with additional statement that my brother is a PR? haha, because from what i've read through the forum, it's likely the govt welcomes the ones who probably will convert to Singaporean.

Or if my brother consult with his MP, and try to get recommendation for LPR, would it be any good side?


I really appreciated your answers and advices

Thank you

premierse

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:00 pm

While LPR is primarily academic qualifications, it couldn't hurt attaching a "sponsorship" letter from your brother as well. But, as I already noted, current processing time is around 14 months or longer at the moment. Bad news about the EPEC, though that is what I suspected before even suggesting it. Are you Indonesian Chinese by chance? If so, you do have a better chance of getting an approval, but again, it will possibly still take a considerable number of months before any action happens.

If you have the disposable means, apply for LPR and continue to try to gain employment to speed up the journey.

premierse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 15 Feb 2011

Postby premierse » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:48 pm

Yes I'm Chinese Indonesian. I'd be encouraged if you say so.. :)

I think I will just ask the company to submit the appeal for me soon. If there is nothing can be done about it, i'll apply for the PR with letter of sponsorship from my brother as additional.

Thank you SMS for your helpful advices and concern. :)

Will update if i get something.. :)

-premierse-

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 16 Feb 2011 7:51 am

premierse wrote:Yes I'm Chinese Indonesian. I'd be encouraged if you say so.. :)

I think I will just ask the company to submit the appeal for me soon. If there is nothing can be done about it, i'll apply for the PR with letter of sponsorship from my brother as additional.

Thank you SMS for your helpful advices and concern. :)

Will update if i get something.. :)

-premierse-


TO add what SMS said if you have the juice this might be worth a shot
If you have the juices this is good.


Investment Programme for Permanent Residence
There are currently two investment schemes available to help foreign investors to immigrate to Singapore. Foreign investors may obtain permanent residence status for their spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age through the Global Investor Program or Financial Investor Scheme.

Global Investor Programme is administered by Singapore Economic Development Board (SEDB). Prospective investors and entrepreneurs may apply for Singapore Permanent Residence (PR) under the Global Investor Programme which has three options as follows

* Invest at least S$1 million in a new business start-up or expansion of an existing business operation
* Invest at least S$1.5 million in a approved Singapore-incorporated venture capital fund or Singapore-incorporated foundation or trust that focuses on economic development (list of company will be provided by EDB)
* Invest at least S$2 million in a property and approved Singapore-incorporated venture capital fund or Singapore-incorporated foundation or trust that focuses on economic development (list of company will be provided by EDB). Residential property can be purchased with not more than 50% of the investment amount.

Supporting eligibility criteria includes

* A substantial business track record
* An entrepreneurial background
* A business proposal or investment plan (for S$1 million investment in a new business start-up or expansion of an existing operation)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests