Singapore Expats Forum

want to be free guide for singapore tourist

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:43 pm

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:[
And well, about Ion, you should mention that it used to be Gulong Park :D

And how you used to go there on Sundays and try and pull the senoritas eh squirrel :P :cool:

nope .. it was just amusing to see the various parties in progress and other events-in-progress, when taking a detour via the Gulong park .. from Orchard Boulevard ..

I was never was tempted to gate crash though .. though a few friends of mine visiting Singapore claimed to .. not that I wanna know what happened ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 6:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:nope .. it was just amusing to see the various parties in progress and other events-in-progress, when taking a detour via the Gulong park .. from Orchard Boulevard ..

I was never was tempted to gate crash though .. though a few friends of mine visiting Singapore claimed to .. not that I wanna know what happened ..

I was amazed when riding by on the top deck of a bus to see that so many people could physically squeeze themselves onto a single area of grassland :)

You can imagine the double-take I did the first time I saw it, like what in heaven's name are 5,000 foreign women doing all sitting down on this patch of grass for!? :o

It is details like these that a guide can describe. And one could then connect it to how Ion being built has led to severe flooding problems in that area of Orchard Road (no grassland left for rain to soak away), and how Lucky Plaza is now more than ever Pinay-central :)

Image[/img]

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Postby paulzheng » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 9:15 pm

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:nope .. it was just amusing to see the various parties in progress and other events-in-progress, when taking a detour via the Gulong park .. from Orchard Boulevard ..

I was amazed when riding by on the top deck of a bus to see that so many people could physically squeeze themselves onto a single area of grassland :)

You can imagine the double-take I did the first time I saw it, like what in heaven's name are 5,000 foreign women doing all sitting down on this patch of grass for!? :o

It is details like these that a guide can describe. And one could then connect it to how Ion being built has led to severe flooding problems in that area of Orchard Road (no grassland left for rain to soak away), and how Lucky Plaza is now more than ever Pinay-central :)

Image[/img]

The picture is funning, hehe:)

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Postby paulzheng » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 9:27 pm

JR8 wrote:
paulzheng wrote:
JR8 wrote:Is there an equivalent of Big Apple Greeters in Singapore?

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/

Dear JR8,

Thanks again for your advice the website big apple greeter. It is really a big encourage for me. You will no longer feel lonely since you know in the world, there are still some others also pursue the same dreams with you.

Good luck Paul, it is nice to hear that your ideas are moving along.

On the issue of paid entrance I don't think you can be expected to repeatedly visit the same attractions, so 'waiting outside' is fine. Paid attractions tend to come with paper guides or route-maps, so there really is no need for a guide.

I have seen tour guides taking groups into paid attractions (in Europe), and they seem to queue to buy the tickets for the group, and at the same time use their official certification of status to gain free entry.

I've done free tours where the guide has quite intentionally by-passed the main attractions and instead focused on the more hidden aspects of the city. Sometimes it is the feeling that you are getting insightful details about what is in front of you that you would not get easily get from a guide book that make it so enjoyable. Say like the significance of the colours used at Chinese temples, or why they 'pull' teh-tarik, or when passing Ion mentioning how despite it's modernity many people find the internal lay-out confusing, and why :)

Itineraries would be decided on by guests, (what they're interested in, how jetlagged they are, how much they are used to the tropical heat etc etc), but I would imagine that you could have a range of options (2 or 4 hours in Chinatown, 2 hours in Little India, 2 hours on the Quays, etc) and piece them together in the desired way.

Looks like your new year resolution this year will be easy to decide upon! :)

Dear JR8,

You are so nice to give me so many good suggestions and considerations.

You are right, i also think that i can not go too many time on those attractions places, for example, i already been to Night Safari 10 times. I don't think i will go to those places again and again.

I would like to meet the tourist like what you said, they are more interested to discovery those feature that the other poople don't pay attentions to. I met a old man from Finland, on his only one year stay in Singapore, he already been to Sungei Buloh for 50 times! Amazing, almost once per week.

This is also one of my motivation to be free guide, i think through my free guide, it is also a re-discovery singapore process for me.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:01 am

I suggest that you join Couchsurfing.org - you will always find people looking for someone to take them around Singapore (and you don't have to offer them accommodation).
Cheers
Kim

edit: corrected the website address
Last edited by carteki on Wed, 11 Jan 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Postby paulzheng » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:28 pm

carteki wrote:I suggest that you join Couchsurfers.org - you will always find people looking for someone to take them around Singapore (and you don't have to offer them accommodation).
Cheers
Kim

Thanks for your good suggestions. I jsut check the website which you recommended, but just seems looks not like what you talk about, is there any mistake on the spelling?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 6:09 pm

couchsurfing.org
There are a number of similar organisations (e.g. hospitalityclub.org, google for more).

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Postby paulzheng » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 4:34 pm

beppi wrote:couchsurfing.org
There are a number of similar organisations (e.g. hospitalityclub.org, google for more).

yes, this website is just amazing! I already add it to my favorite folder.

crapped

Postby crapped » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:21 am

Hi Paul,

It's good that you are putting your passion to good use. There is a new free weekly walking tour organised by local university students.

You may want to join them for one of their tours to build on your knowledge for Singapore.

Their website is http://singaporefootprints.com/

Hope this helps :)
More stuff on Singapore at www.sg

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Postby paulzheng » Sun, 25 Mar 2012 4:59 pm

crapped wrote:Hi Paul,

It's good that you are putting your passion to good use. There is a new free weekly walking tour organised by local university students.

You may want to join them for one of their tours to build on your knowledge for Singapore.

Their website is http://singaporefootprints.com/

Hope this helps :)

Dear Crapped, Thanks so much for your kindness to tell me this. I just went to their website, It is really encouraging me that there are still so many many are willing to help each others, i am think to contact them and to join their activites, hehe.

madaboutplastic
Regular
Regular

Postby madaboutplastic » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 11:46 pm

actually... you just need a female picture on a dating site.

i always get weirdos telling me they will be in singapore for a month.. in a couple of weeks, asking me if im available to show them around.

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Postby paulzheng » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 11:50 am

madaboutplastic wrote:actually... you just need a female picture on a dating site.

i always get weirdos telling me they will be in singapore for a month.. in a couple of weeks, asking me if im available to show them around.

Dear madaboutplastic, thanks for your good suggestions. But, it is unfortunately that i am male, and a married fale already, hehe. I don't want the tourist finally find that actually i am not a female and be angry with me, hehe.

paulzheng
Regular
Regular

Postby paulzheng » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:42 pm

The first tourist from china guided by me on 2012 , April , 28

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:49 pm

paulzheng wrote:The first tourist from china guided by me on 2012 , April , 28

\:D/

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 9:21 pm

Paulzheng,

I hope you realize that you need to be licensed to be a tour guide. You can find yourself in serious poo if you are nailed by the authorities.

https://guides-online.yoursingapore.com ... gistration

https://app.stb.gov.sg/Data/pages/342/2 ... Stbact.pdf