Singapore Expats Forum

Give me advice about moving to USA

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
longstebe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 24 Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby longstebe » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 6:32 pm

Give it a go I say. You'll never know until you try.

IOP
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat, 21 Aug 2010

Re: Give me advice about moving to USA

Postby IOP » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 9:20 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
IOP wrote:
With your racial attitudes, you'll love the deep south.


Is it because I said I'm white? Very narrow-minded.
I simply like to live with European-style people.


No, it's because of statements like, "UK boys want to work with UK boys (and they pay 3 times more to themselves)" or "French with French, Chinese with Chinese and Indians with Indians".

It shows that YOU believe people are generally racially motivated, and that in turn, turns you into the racist.


Chinese - prefer to work with Chinese. It's what my Chinese colleague said.
They still call themselves Chinese and not Singaporeans.
What about recent gov. statement that Malays are not integrated into society? What society? Of course, Chinese.
Last edited by IOP on Mon, 14 Feb 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

IOP
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat, 21 Aug 2010

Postby IOP » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 9:21 am

longstebe wrote:Give it a go I say. You'll never know until you try.


Well, I agree, but in my case it may be very expensive.
If I were 22, then I would try, of course without any doubt.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:24 am

Yes, go to USA - the sooner you leave, the better for Singapore!
I doubt, though, that somebody as racist and white/christian supremacist as you would fare much better in USA (or anywhere else), but maybe you can find a fittingly narrow-minded spot in the bible belt.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:05 am

That or with the neo-nazi skinheads in the backwoods of Montana.

User avatar
Calmday
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Jurong

Re: Give me advice about moving to USA

Postby Calmday » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:17 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
IOP wrote:I'm really in doubt should I move to US.
Firstly, I'm doing my studies here in SG and some other stuff, so perfectly I will be able to move out of the city when I will be 33-34 years old.
Now, here I work as Software Engineer for Investment bank, and of course I like good money and good bonuses.
Will I be able to get good (compare to SG) salary in US? What are my chances? It's not necessary for me to work for "House of Morgan", but maybe some European investment banks or companies like Microsoft or Google.
Will I be able to have better lifestyle in US then here, in SG?
How much money after taxes may I expect in US? Will I be able to buy a good house there?


Only what I have from pluses: good working experience and also I'm very clever.
And also I'm Christian, that is why I want to live in country where more Christian's thoughts live.
Minuses: Originally I'm not from a rich country, but I'm white.
I don't like to fight for my career path in SG anymore, because UK boys want to work with UK boys (and they pay 3 times more to themselves), French with French, Chinese with Chinese and Indians with Indians. From my nationality we have maybe 40 people on this island only
:?
Anyway, what I expect from US - that they will take me as I'm and we will work equally: if I perform better then native Americans, then I want to get more - it's not the cause for SG if you work better then UK guys.


Will moving to US work for me?


With your racial attitudes, you'll love the deep south. But you won't get there. a) They don't like foreigners... and that is anybody born more than 50 miles away, and b) you'll never get a work permit.
Dude your a freak idiot. Why would you even say something this stupid?

User avatar
Calmday
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Jurong

Postby Calmday » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:30 pm

The USA is still the land of opportunity. The US was built by immigrants like my grandparents (who, by the way lived in the south) and yourself. The only animosity I see is towards ILLEGIAL immigrants. Do it right and I’m 100% sure that you will be welcomed.
Wages are better than those of comparably qualified Singaporeans in Singapore. You can buy a brand new 900+ square meter home for $200,000. You can get out on the road and drive for what seems like forever. You can speak your mind without the threat of being deported or jailed.
The US has anything that you want. If you want urban you can live in NY, Beaches= Florida, Mountains=Colorado.
There is a reason that so many people around the world dream of living there.
Don’t listen to some of these people. They are just blowing a puff up your backside or they really don’t have a clue.

User avatar
Calmday
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Jurong

Postby Calmday » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:39 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
IOP wrote:
With your racial attitudes, you'll love the deep south.


Is it because I said I'm white? Very narrow-minded.
I simply like to live with European-style people.


No, it's because of statements like, "UK boys want to work with UK boys (and they pay 3 times more to themselves)" or "French with French, Chinese with Chinese and Indians with Indians".

It shows that YOU believe people are generally racially motivated, and that in turn, turns you into the racist.


But yet you say.

Strong Eagle wrote:
With your racial attitudes, you'll love the deep south. But you won't get there. a) They don't like foreigners... and that is anybody born more than 50 miles away, and b) you'll never get a work permit.


Which one are you? A trash talking bigot or a sensitive type who doesn’t like people talking about others based on race or where there from. Either way I certainly do know why you don’t live in the US.

IOP
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat, 21 Aug 2010

Postby IOP » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:47 pm

Calmday wrote:The USA is still the land of opportunity. The US was built by immigrants like my grandparents (who, by the way lived in the south) and yourself. The only animosity I see is towards ILLEGIAL immigrants. Do it right and I’m 100% sure that you will be welcomed.
Wages are better than those of comparably qualified Singaporeans in Singapore. You can buy a brand new 900+ square meter home for $200,000. You can get out on the road and drive for what seems like forever. You can speak your mind without the threat of being deported or jailed.
The US has anything that you want. If you want urban you can live in NY, Beaches= Florida, Mountains=Colorado.
There is a reason that so many people around the world dream of living there.
Don’t listen to some of these people. They are just blowing a puff up your backside or they really don’t have a clue.


thanks, quite useful comment.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10841
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 1:51 pm

"Calmday"... now that's a good one!

You've obviously not been to the deep south. Yes, the cities with their inmigration from other parts of the country and world are much less racist than the countryside... and the countryside is still very racist.

Southerners quit voting for Democrats (whom they had elected for decades) because it was the Dems who pushed through integration, voting rights, and a lot more. It is Republicans like Haley Barbour who are busy trying to rewrite deep south history, who see nothing wrong with the confederate flag flying over a statehouse, who see nothing wrong with the racially tinged Arizona laws, and who continue to insist the civil war was about states rights, when in fact, the evidence clearly shows, the south did not want to give up on slavery.

I wish you made a bit more sense. I merely pointed out that he would fit in with a lot of the racial attitudes in the south.

And BTW, I'd bet money that he will not get the H1B necessary to work in the US... and that has nothing to do with racism... well, actually it does but on a different level and for a different reason.

User avatar
Calmday
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Jurong

Postby Calmday » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 2:10 pm

LOL Ya I guess that you are right about that racist Arizona law that tried to make you show ID whenever you were pulled over. I mean just how racist can you get?

Illegal immigration is not a racist issue. It’s about the law period.
Bush had some great ideas before 911 but that will never happen now.

I’m from the south and can tell you that I have never flown the confederate battle flag and don’t really approve of it. Especially on gov property. As for Barber and other politicians, A politician is a politician but remember that it was the republicans that freed the slaves.

The original poster was asking about opportunities in the US. I’m sure that he isn’t interested in all of the ignorant comments about south. Heck I can rag on yankees or liberals all day long (as you know) but that’s not the point of this thread. No one can honestly dispute that the US still provides more opportunity for success, for more people than any other country on earth.

Skeeter01
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 21 Jan 2011
Location: Singapore

Moving

Postby Skeeter01 » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 4:47 pm

Having just gone the other way I could make some observations.

-Expect a much more dynamic work environment in the US - esp in software development. The pace will likely be faster.
-Workplace atmosphere differs by company and location - if you work in a big city expect very cosmopolitan employees. The center of the US will be quite provincial with the East and West Coasts quite dynamic.
There will likely be lots of foreigners in that segment in US but not as many expats, the difference being they probably plan to stay.
Your Std of living should be the same or better - certainly your going to be able to afford a better car and house/apt.
There are no shortage of congregations to join in the US if this is what you want. You can probably find like-minded individuals there (and I thought programmers were all godless)
At your age its probably now or never so better to try and know yourself rather than stay here till the end.

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 6:40 pm

Calmday wrote:You can speak your mind without the threat of being deported or jailed.
The US has anything that you want.


Right, but you can't walk down the street while sipping a beer in hand, or drink in the back seat of a car as a frigging passenger.

And can you even buy a beer once you turn 18? Nope. But you can get drafted into the army and sent to Iraq. You're old enough for that. :)

It's a give and take situation, every country has its pluses and minuses. I haven't been in the US since 2000/01 and I don't exactly miss anything. But I can see how some would like to make the move there, just like I can see why people would have reason to live in dozens of other countries out there.

User avatar
Sad Panda
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 16 Feb 2011
Location: US

Postby Sad Panda » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:37 am

@Aster,

For what it is worth the draft hasn't been reinstated. At this point the only thing the selective service form is for is if you want gov't assistance to attend college.
And you can blame MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) for all the silly alcohol rules we have here stateside.

That said you haven't really missed much worth missing since you left.
"The problem with quotes online is that you never really know if they are real." ~ Abe Lincon

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Bedford Falls

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 8:00 am

Sad Panda wrote:And you can blame MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) for all the silly alcohol rules we have here stateside.


Ya, the 6,000 people who aren't killed each year are really bummed out about that.

Silly, indeed.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests