Singapore Expats

Getting a second UK passport?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sing_sling77

Getting a second UK passport?

Post by sing_sling77 » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 2:26 pm

Hi, I have recently found myself travelling frequently and often times having to plan around my passport being sent off for visa applications ... then I just heard that some business travelers from the UK actually have 2 passports for this exact reason.

Can anybody enlighten me on the quickest and easiest way for me to obtain another passport from the British High commission in Singapore?

Please note I am only interested in answers on doing this as a UK Citizen ...

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 3:06 pm

The British High Commission in Singapore no longer deal with Passport applications/renewals, all done in HK. Normally Brits get a duplicate passport when they have an Israeli visa in your passport and need to travel to another Arab country as you'll be refused entry! Whether they would issue a 2nd Passport just to get around visa times I'm not too sure.

Probably best to call the careline service number which is the UK, see the link below.

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/resource ... rvices.pdf

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 3:06 pm

You need to call, and then go to (probably) the British High Commission here in Singapore, bringing with you a letter from your company stating why you need a second passport (frequent travel conflicts with visa processing). You should get the second passport without issue.

But, hey... why listen to me... call the BHC... they have a telly.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 4:35 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
They might have a telly but they no longer respond to Passport queries.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 4:51 pm

Saint wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Interesting. When did this change take place? I think it has been about two years since I made a call.

Cheers.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 5:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Saint wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Interesting. When did this change take place? I think it has been about two years since I made a call.

Cheers.
Middle of last year

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 6:51 pm

let me get this right... you are british and holding a british passport, and you want a second british passport?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 8:15 pm

durain wrote:let me get this right... you are british and holding a british passport, and you want a second british passport?
This is not uncommon and not limited to British passports.

You might have to fly to India next week. Or China. You must leave your PP with them for a visa. Even the US requires that you leave your passport for more pages.

Meanwhile, you need to make a day flight to KL... or BKK... what's a body to do? Get a second passport!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 10:23 am

I got a second UK passport shortly before they shifted the application procedure to Hong Kong.

I needed a letter from the company stating i was required to travel to countries such as China, India, Vietnam and Indonesia where a visa takes several days to organise and it would leave me unable to travel anywhere else on short notice, even Malaysia.

The counter staff couldn't approve the request herself and had to ask Mr. Consulate after a review of my passport, which already had visas for China and Indonesia inside.

You'll need to call the BHC here in Singapore and insist on some kind of answer how to get this approval before submitting the application to HK.

The trickiest thing is getting the first......um..... second passport since after that it is very easy. All you have to do then is do a regular application replacing an old one with a new one.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Using second UK passport

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:10 am

Hi All,

Sorry to dredge an old thread, but I was wondering how people with second UK passports manage to use them?

I obtained my second one for extensive business travel reasons. However, the MOM told my company only 1 passport can be registered per EP, and so I would not be able to use my second passport until the first expired or became exhausted.

The EP application agency that my company uses also has no solutions, so I was wondering how people managed to register the second passport for use when the first is held up for visa processing?

Perhaps this is a new regulation?

Thanks!
There's always room for one more

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:31 am

I have not had any issues. Sure only one passport is actually registered with MoM but I have traveled on my second passport many times without issue.

Why do you feel the need to register the second passport?

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Using second UK passport

Post by Saint » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:37 am

BBCDoc wrote:Hi All,

Sorry to dredge an old thread, but I was wondering how people with second UK passports manage to use them?

I obtained my second one for extensive business travel reasons. However, the MOM told my company only 1 passport can be registered per EP, and so I would not be able to use my second passport until the first expired or became exhausted.

The EP application agency that my company uses also has no solutions, so I was wondering how people managed to register the second passport for use when the first is held up for visa processing?

Thanks!
Your 2nd Passport, the one not registered with MOM, is used for visa processing, your 1st Passport, the one registered with MOM, is used to exit and enter Singapore

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Using second UK passport

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:56 pm

BBCDoc wrote:Hi All,

Thanks!
Why don't you just keep the second passport exclusively for those visas where the consulate sits on it for a long time, and use your primary passport for everything else?

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks for your kind suggestions. My concern would be that if I use the second one for visa processing, I would have to carry 2 passports out of Singapore to visit those countries.

I suppose that might have to be the only way...unless the embassies cross-check all passports with the ICA...
There's always room for one more

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 2:08 pm

BBCDoc wrote:Thanks for your kind suggestions. My concern would be that if I use the second one for visa processing, I would have to carry 2 passports out of Singapore to visit those countries.

I suppose that might have to be the only way...unless the embassies cross-check all passports with the ICA...
I carry 2 passports now, never had an issue. I do this because I want to avoid stamps in one of them, few pages left and want to make it last.