Singapore Expats Forum

Getting a second UK passport?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

sing_sling77
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu, 15 May 2008

Getting a second UK passport?

Postby sing_sling77 » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 2:26 pm

Hi, I have recently found myself travelling frequently and often times having to plan around my passport being sent off for visa applications ... then I just heard that some business travelers from the UK actually have 2 passports for this exact reason.

Can anybody enlighten me on the quickest and easiest way for me to obtain another passport from the British High commission in Singapore?

Please note I am only interested in answers on doing this as a UK Citizen ...

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 3:06 pm

The British High Commission in Singapore no longer deal with Passport applications/renewals, all done in HK. Normally Brits get a duplicate passport when they have an Israeli visa in your passport and need to travel to another Arab country as you'll be refused entry! Whether they would issue a 2nd Passport just to get around visa times I'm not too sure.

Probably best to call the careline service number which is the UK, see the link below.

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/resource ... rvices.pdf

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 3:06 pm

You need to call, and then go to (probably) the British High Commission here in Singapore, bringing with you a letter from your company stating why you need a second passport (frequent travel conflicts with visa processing). You should get the second passport without issue.

But, hey... why listen to me... call the BHC... they have a telly.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 4:35 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
But, hey... why listen to me... call the BHC... they have a telly.


They might have a telly but they no longer respond to Passport queries.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 4:51 pm

Saint wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
But, hey... why listen to me... call the BHC... they have a telly.


They might have a telly but they no longer respond to Passport queries.


Interesting. When did this change take place? I think it has been about two years since I made a call.

Cheers.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 5:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Saint wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
But, hey... why listen to me... call the BHC... they have a telly.


They might have a telly but they no longer respond to Passport queries.


Interesting. When did this change take place? I think it has been about two years since I made a call.

Cheers.


Middle of last year

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 6:51 pm

let me get this right... you are british and holding a british passport, and you want a second british passport?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Feb 2011 8:15 pm

durain wrote:let me get this right... you are british and holding a british passport, and you want a second british passport?


This is not uncommon and not limited to British passports.

You might have to fly to India next week. Or China. You must leave your PP with them for a visa. Even the US requires that you leave your passport for more pages.

Meanwhile, you need to make a day flight to KL... or BKK... what's a body to do? Get a second passport!

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 10:23 am

I got a second UK passport shortly before they shifted the application procedure to Hong Kong.

I needed a letter from the company stating i was required to travel to countries such as China, India, Vietnam and Indonesia where a visa takes several days to organise and it would leave me unable to travel anywhere else on short notice, even Malaysia.

The counter staff couldn't approve the request herself and had to ask Mr. Consulate after a review of my passport, which already had visas for China and Indonesia inside.

You'll need to call the BHC here in Singapore and insist on some kind of answer how to get this approval before submitting the application to HK.

The trickiest thing is getting the first......um..... second passport since after that it is very easy. All you have to do then is do a regular application replacing an old one with a new one.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

BBCDoc
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

Using second UK passport

Postby BBCDoc » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:10 am

Hi All,

Sorry to dredge an old thread, but I was wondering how people with second UK passports manage to use them?

I obtained my second one for extensive business travel reasons. However, the MOM told my company only 1 passport can be registered per EP, and so I would not be able to use my second passport until the first expired or became exhausted.

The EP application agency that my company uses also has no solutions, so I was wondering how people managed to register the second passport for use when the first is held up for visa processing?

Perhaps this is a new regulation?

Thanks!
There's always room for one more

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:31 am

I have not had any issues. Sure only one passport is actually registered with MoM but I have traveled on my second passport many times without issue.

Why do you feel the need to register the second passport?

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: Using second UK passport

Postby Saint » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:37 am

BBCDoc wrote:Hi All,

Sorry to dredge an old thread, but I was wondering how people with second UK passports manage to use them?

I obtained my second one for extensive business travel reasons. However, the MOM told my company only 1 passport can be registered per EP, and so I would not be able to use my second passport until the first expired or became exhausted.

The EP application agency that my company uses also has no solutions, so I was wondering how people managed to register the second passport for use when the first is held up for visa processing?

Perhaps this is a new regulation?

Thanks!


Your 2nd Passport, the one not registered with MOM, is used for visa processing, your 1st Passport, the one registered with MOM, is used to exit and enter Singapore

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Using second UK passport

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:56 pm

BBCDoc wrote:Hi All,

Sorry to dredge an old thread, but I was wondering how people with second UK passports manage to use them?

I obtained my second one for extensive business travel reasons. However, the MOM told my company only 1 passport can be registered per EP, and so I would not be able to use my second passport until the first expired or became exhausted.

The EP application agency that my company uses also has no solutions, so I was wondering how people managed to register the second passport for use when the first is held up for visa processing?

Perhaps this is a new regulation?

Thanks!


Why don't you just keep the second passport exclusively for those visas where the consulate sits on it for a long time, and use your primary passport for everything else?

BBCDoc
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby BBCDoc » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks for your kind suggestions. My concern would be that if I use the second one for visa processing, I would have to carry 2 passports out of Singapore to visit those countries.

I suppose that might have to be the only way...unless the embassies cross-check all passports with the ICA...
There's always room for one more

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 2:08 pm

BBCDoc wrote:Thanks for your kind suggestions. My concern would be that if I use the second one for visa processing, I would have to carry 2 passports out of Singapore to visit those countries.

I suppose that might have to be the only way...unless the embassies cross-check all passports with the ICA...


I carry 2 passports now, never had an issue. I do this because I want to avoid stamps in one of them, few pages left and want to make it last.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests