Singapore Expats

Expat divorces on the rise in S’pore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
syamsulstar

Expat divorces on the rise in S’pore?

Post by syamsulstar » Mon, 07 Feb 2011 4:30 pm

Came across this article today. Would love to hear any comments from anyone...

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/02/07 ... -in-spore/

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Mon, 07 Feb 2011 4:45 pm

God, how predictable... Divorces among expats are all down to the white guy getting yellow fever and playing around on the wife? PUH-LEESE.

Are divorces in Singapore not rising in the local population? (Answer: yes, they are). Are divorces in general not rising almost everywhere? (Answer: yes, they are). Are divorces not instigated by the wife in nearly two-thirds of cases? (Answer: yes, they are).

It is probably also worth noting that in many countries, the reasons for the divorce are not mentioned or considered. In Singapore, there has to be a reason cited. It is probably difficult to know whether infidelity is a comparable factor in other countries because of this. If someone is going to cheat, they will, regardless of whether they are living in Asia.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 07 Feb 2011 6:38 pm

k1w1 wrote:Divorces among expats are all down to the white guy getting yellow fever and playing around on the wife?
yep, i know a few yellow fever homewreaker! didnt hang about to move out from their HDB to the condo of the ang moh!

but never the other way round, at least not that i know of. :D

ex-pat
Regular
Regular

Re: Expat divorces on the rise in S’pore?

Post by ex-pat » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 2:19 pm

syamsulstar wrote:Came across this article today. Would love to hear any comments from anyone...

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/02/07 ... Singapore/
When the cat is away the mouse will play.

Well, i did get a indecent proposal from a Western guy ( Aussie). We known each other for 3 years now. He asked me if i fancy going to his place for a a drink as his wifey is traveling for business.
My point here is man does not have to travel to hooked with with some hot chicks, he can do it in his house. And if he dare asking woman to go over and have a chat and drink he can do it anywhere as long as the wife is not looking.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Expat divorces on the rise in S’pore?

Post by JayCee » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 4:29 pm

ex-pat wrote:
syamsulstar wrote:Came across this article today. Would love to hear any comments from anyone...

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/02/07 ... Singapore/
When the cat is away the mouse will play.

Well, i did get a indecent proposal from a Western guy ( Aussie). We known each other for 3 years now. He asked me if i fancy going to his place for a a drink as his wifey is traveling for business.
My point here is man does not have to travel to hooked with with some hot chicks, he can do it in his house. And if he dare asking woman to go over and have a chat and drink he can do it anywhere as long as the wife is not looking.
So asking a friend who you've known for 3 years if they fancy a drink is an indecent proposal is it? :?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 4:53 pm

That was an indecent proposal? I was just thinking the same thing. :???:

Wonder what she would have called an invitation to a have a shag! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 5:10 pm

Going for a drink with a married colleague? A bit dicey. Going to his place for a drink while he has made it clear his wife is away on business is clearly an invitation for sex.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 5:36 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Going for a drink with a married colleague? A bit dicey. Going to his place for a drink while he has made it clear his wife is away on business is clearly an invitation for sex.
Should I not let my wife go out with married male friends then?

Or let her go to his place to karaoke (with wife absent)?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 6:01 pm

One more time :? :

Big difference between going out to a public place and being invited over for drinks to a married colleague's home when he has told you up front his wife isn't home. If you say 'yes' it's because you want to be there when the wife is out.

What you have worked out with your wife is your business, karaoke or no karaoke.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 9:27 pm

Exactly. Also...

If a person in their non-Asian home country has a predilection towards Asian women then they may have this Yellow Fever.

If a foreigner in an Asian country gets involved with an Asian woman, regardless of his or her marital status, more often or not it's just a numbers game, subject to prevailing market conditions and supply and demand.

I think people with insecurities confuse and label things like "Asian Fever" as some sort of cross-pollination / ticket outta here / grass is greener / lure of the exotic / trading up / etc. thingy when it's really not that at all in a lot of cases.

It's just The Call Of The Wild.
k1w1 wrote:God, how predictable... Divorces among expats are all down to the white guy getting yellow fever and playing around on the wife? PUH-LEESE.

If someone is going to cheat, they will, regardless of whether they are living in Asia.
Last edited by Brah on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 9:35 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:One more time :? :

Big difference between going out to a public place and being invited over for drinks to a married colleague's home when he has told you up front his wife isn't home. If you say 'yes' it's because you want to be there when the wife is out.

What you have worked out with your wife is your business, karaoke or no karaoke.
A deeper meaning in your sledgehammer one-liners can be a little impenetrable at times.

No need to be quite so condescending.

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 9:52 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Going for a drink with a married colleague? A bit dicey. Going to his place for a drink while he has made it clear his wife is away on business is clearly an invitation for sex.
So if the guy doesn't say anything about his wife being away and you agree to go, what then?

At least the guy is giving you a heads up.

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 1:47 am

durain wrote:
k1w1 wrote:Divorces among expats are all down to the white guy getting yellow fever and playing around on the wife?
yep, i know a few yellow fever homewreaker! didnt hang about to move out from their HDB to the condo of the ang moh!

but never the other way round, at least not that i know of. :D
Most pale looking expatriates posted to Singapore are men anyway, so there are very few women for Singaporean men to steal. Pale looking women can be very hairy as well, something that is a big turn off for local men.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 2:03 am

breedmon wrote:
Most pale looking expatriates posted to Singapore are men anyway, so there are very few women for Singaporean men to steal. Pale looking women can be very hairy as well, something that is a big turn off for local men.
Well, aren't you a delight.

Let me guess: you joined the forum to make new friends?

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 3:12 am

k1w1 wrote:
breedmon wrote:
Well, aren't you a delight.

Let me guess: you joined the forum to make new friends?
Not to say all pale skinned women are hairy but I have noticed many are. I find it hard to date a woman who has hairy chest and arms. And then there is infidelity to contend with as well.

Different strokes for different folks. If you like to bury your face in a chest full of hair, so be it. :)