Singapore Expats Forum

Cooking Class

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

Cooking Class

Postby Silky » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 9:49 pm

Hi there.

Does anyone know where I can learn basic Italian cooking?

Re: Cooking Class

Postby JR8 » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 11:06 pm

Silky wrote:Hi there.

Does anyone know where I can learn basic Italian cooking?

Italy? No seriously though I'm unaware of any techniques-based courses in Singapore. Most recreational courses (for any cuisine) are 1 day long and just cook a menu of say 3 dishes for one meal. Fun, but I don't think you're learning much other than how to cook that one meal. Plus note that cooking courses in SG are extremely expensive.

Have you considered doing say one weeks worth of techniques based course abroad? By techniques I mean rather than learning specific recipes (example: how to cook spaghetti bolognaise) you learn techniques (example: how to cook pasta). So you learn about roasting, smoking, frying, marinading, making dressings, fresh egg mayo, flavour palettes, grilling, poaching etc. The benefit is then you understand what each process does, 'how it works'. And when you understand that you can apply the theory of say roasting to any roast recipe, and in time come to rely on intuition as much as the recipe.

I know there are very good schools in New York (the one I went to has a staggering 1500 different classes, incl. 70 on Italian cuisine!). Or London, or Italy. I expect that you could find a school in Australia too. I think it important though if considering this route, that you pick a professional chef school that does recreational courses, rather than a pure recreational school. That way you are learning from pro chef instructors not 'keen home cooks'.

So, how about taking a week away and making a holiday of it?

Edit to add, p.s.

This is ICE's Italian Techniques course, so you can see the kind of approach I am advocating

Postby timtams » Mon, 07 Feb 2011 1:41 pm

You can try Palate Sensations

Italian/French trained chef willing to help.

Postby loli7347 » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 7:34 pm

Hi there,
I am a New Yorker, trained at French Culinary Institute
and I have worked in the kitchens of Mario Batali, April Bloomfield, Anita Lo
and others, some Michelin rated restaurants. Including at James Beard House.

Currently here on DP, looking to widen my circle of friends and really looking
for someone with a nice kitchen that would like to have me come over and give them some pointers, show them some techniques and just have a good time. I can bring my husband too and we can make an evening gathering of it, if you like or just a one on one lesson if that's better for you.

Also would like to get some ideas and info from Asian folks about Asian cooking as I don't have much experience with local foods and would like to learn.

So, if you would like, you can contact me at

Anyone else interested, please send email also. Thank you. -Talia

Postby sebasok » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:52 am

had any luck looking for home-based teaching? say going to the teacher's place?