Singapore Expats Forum

Citizenship application after 1 year as PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
longvega

Citizenship application after 1 year as PR

Postby longvega » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 1:09 pm

Hi,

I am considering applying for citizenship in Singapore and wanted to get some advice on the likelihood of approval.

I am a US citizen, Chinese descent, 23, Male, Single. University graduate from a top-tier university. I work in finance.

I applied for PR after three months of starting work in Singapore on an employment pass and was accepted three months later. Have been a PR for 1.2 years now with regular CPF contribution, etc. No criminal record, did receive a court summons for a parking fine that I never paid, but that is squared away.

Noticed on the ICA website that there is some kind of "preliminary assessment interview" that is available for those seeking citizenship after only one year as PR. Anyone have any experience with that?

My reasons for acquiring citizenship are primarily related to political status and my timeline is a bit urgent for various reasons.

Thanks

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 3:10 pm

A person who is at least 21 years of age and has been a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) for at least 2 to 6 years prior to the date of application. An applicant who wishes to apply on his/her own merits may come for a preliminary assessment interview after 1 year of permanent residence.

Unless you have something to contribute in terms $$$$ or you IQ is above 200 or you are a potential candidate for PAP, the rest of your concerns or timeline will not be inside their protocol.

Most of them will get a pink invitation letter for SG citizenship. It is NOT a given but a CHOSEN ONES
Gahmen looks at what you can offer NOT what you can get

But if you would like to share more of your urgency , I hazard to guess whether your prelim interview will be a success or not
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Police123

Re: Citizenship application after 1 year as PR

Postby Police123 » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 5:06 am

longvega wrote:Hi,

I am considering applying for citizenship in Singapore and wanted to get some advice on the likelihood of approval.

I am a US citizen, Chinese descent, 23, Male, Single. University graduate from a top-tier university. I work in finance.

I applied for PR after three months of starting work in Singapore on an employment pass and was accepted three months later. Have been a PR for 1.2 years now with regular CPF contribution, etc. No criminal record, did receive a court summons for a parking fine that I never paid, but that is squared away.

Noticed on the ICA website that there is some kind of "preliminary assessment interview" that is available for those seeking citizenship after only one year as PR. Anyone have any experience with that?

My reasons for acquiring citizenship are primarily related to political status and my timeline is a bit urgent for various reasons.

Thanks

Do you need to give up your US citizenship then? I thought Singapore dont allow dual citizenship?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 5:52 am

Under the Singapore Constitution, Chap 126, the citizens of SG are not allow dual citizenship
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!