Singapore Expats Forum

What do you miss most?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 4:54 pm

JR8 wrote:Slightly stranger though, no one, absolutely no one gets up during the movie to go to the loo. Didn't hear one phone in two hours. Nobody texting. Absolutely no chatting. They don't put the lights up until the ending credits have run right through, so everybody stays and sits through them. Weird man :?


Wow, it's like the Stepford movie audience! I always feel weird when I wait for the credits to finish to watch out for bonus clips that I know are there.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 5:05 pm

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:Slightly stranger though, no one, absolutely no one gets up during the movie to go to the loo. Didn't hear one phone in two hours. Nobody texting. Absolutely no chatting. They don't put the lights up until the ending credits have run right through, so everybody stays and sits through them. Weird man :?


Wow, it's like the Stepford movie audience! I always feel weird when I wait for the credits to finish to watch out for bonus clips that I know are there.


Lol, good analogy :lol:

Society here is very ordered (self-perpetuating, rather than via threats and fines). It can be quite funny observing the reaction you get if you break the accepted norm. In that way they are really quite like the Japanese.

Was watching the King's Speech last night. I suspect there was no bonus clip after the credits rather that sitting through them is how it works here!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 7:43 pm

ksl wrote:
Never been tempted to drink beer on the street/park so this somehow does not work for me
Not even the hawker on orchard rd! :lol:

For the hawker and hawkers in general it is just opposite. I am very tempted :)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 8:02 pm

JR8 wrote:Society here is very ordered (self-perpetuating, rather than via threats and fines). It can be quite funny observing the reaction you get if you break the accepted norm. In that way they are really quite like the Japanese.

"There" the society is self-disciplined but not necessarily obedient. Here is obedient but not self-disciplined.

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 8:19 pm

Well, what i miss most, would be some of the traditions, respect for elders, having lesser commercialism, fireworks (banned in 1973), open air cinema (holland village), drive-in cinema (Jurong), lesser traffic, being fitter, work that you had for life, kampong life instead of HDB's apartments, lesser population.... but i am not complaining, cause change is the only constant and tomorrow will always be better.. :D

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 8:34 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Society here is very ordered (self-perpetuating, rather than via threats and fines). It can be quite funny observing the reaction you get if you break the accepted norm. In that way they are really quite like the Japanese.

"There" the society is self-disciplined but not necessarily obedient. Here is obedient but not self-disciplined.




Bwahaha.... good one :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 9:30 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:Well, what i miss most, would be some of the traditions, respect for elders, having lesser commercialism, fireworks (banned in 1973), open air cinema (holland village), drive-in cinema (Jurong), lesser traffic, being fitter, work that you had for life, kampong life instead of HDB's apartments, lesser population.... but i am not complaining, cause change is the only constant and tomorrow will always be better.. :D


And there is the reason which Singapore has such a low Fertility Rate. Getting rid of this place was the worst thing they ever did. I had the ultimate Drive-in vehicle back then - my old 73 Cortina estate wagon! :P :cool:

Image

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:03 pm

JR8 wrote: p.s. Went to the cinema last night (a regular one, nothing high-end) and they sell 0.5l glass bottles of beer to take in. Not only that but bottles of wine and prosecco, with proper wine glasses! 8-)

Slightly stranger though, no one, absolutely no one gets up during the movie to go to the loo. Didn't hear one phone in two hours. Nobody texting. Absolutely no chatting. They don't put the lights up until the ending credits have run right through, so everybody stays and sits through them. Weird man :?


How is that in SG cinema? Continuously going to the loo? mobile phone ringing all the time? texting and chatting? :mrgreen:

Well I have been in a classic open air concert by Philharmonic Nuremberg, more than 6000 people attended that concert. During 3 hours no people talking, no phone etc. only applause after each work played.
It started to rain slightly, but nobody went away.

It was really impressive!!

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:24 pm

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jurong, Singapore: Outdoor Movies at Singapore's Only Drive-In Outdoor Cinema

Outdoor Movies at Singapore's Drive-In Theater in JurongSingapore’s only open-air drive-in cinema, the Jurong Drive-in, was opened by the then Minister of Culture, Jek Yuen Thong, on 14 July 1971. The brainchild and pride of Cathay Organisation, it was located at Yuan Ching Road, next to the Japanese Gardens. Built on a 5.6 ha site leased from the Jurong Town Corporation (JTC), the cinema could accommodate 900 cars and an additional 300 people in its walk-in gallery for outdoor movies. The Drive-in closed on 30 September 1985 due to poor attendances and increasing competition from video pirates.
History of the Outdoor Cinema

Cathay Organisation adopted the drive-in outdoor cinema concept from the O’Halloran Hill cinema in Adelaide, Australia, and opened Singapore’s first and only drive-in theater in Yuan Ching Road, Jurong (next to the Japanese Garden) on 14 July 1971. Also the largest in Asia, the opening of the Jurong Drive-in was officiated by the then Minister of Culture, Jek Yuen Thong. Premiering at the opening night of outdoor movies was Ralph Thomas’ Doctor in Trouble. Box-office proceeds for the opening were donated to Jurong Town Creche and Jurong Town Community Centre.

On the opening night, about 880 cars packed the 5.6 ha drive-in with an additional 300 patrons occupying its walk-in open gallery. They viewed the outdoor movie on a giant screen measuring 47 ft by 100 ft. Tilted at an angle of six-and-a-half degrees, the screen was raised 25 ft above ground. The movie soundtrack was played over 899 speaker stands on the drive-in grounds and special car speakers attached to individual cars. Patrons munched on snacks and ate ice cream sold during the outdoor film screening.
Description of the Drive-In

The drive-in theater attracted thousands during its heyday in the 1970s. Outdoor movies were screened daily at two time slots 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm. Tickets were priced at S$2 for adults and S$1 for children under 12 years. It featured mainly first-run English language films and Hong Kong action movies. For instance, films starring Bruce Lee were very popular with patrons. His movie, The Big Boss, broke the drive-in cinema’s box-office record, collecting S$12,000 for one night.

The popularity of the Drive-In owed to the experience of watching a giant outdoor screen in the privacy of the car. It was also one of the few outings in which the whole family could go to. But the novelty slowly wore off as the open air cinema was at the mercy of tropical weather conditions, especially heavy downpours. Patrons complained that prolonged use of their windshield wipers throughout the shows when it rained was hazardous to their car’s ignition system. The open-air screening was also harder to manage and led to chaos as patrons who were impatient when car queues leading to the Drive-in became too long got off their vehicles and walked. Gate-crashers also added to the unruliness and many who turned up did not pay for their tickets. Getting audiences to settle down led to delayed screening of shows. Plans to open other drive-in cinemas never materialised, leaving Jurong as Singapore’s only drive-in theater.
Outdoor Movies: Winding-up

As early as 1981, Cathay Organisation was already musing about closing the Drive-in. Dismal attendance and illegal racing activities were their major concerns. For the past several years before it closed in 1985, on average only 200 people or 100 cars turned up for its daily outdoor film screenings, occupying only a fraction of its 900-car capacity lot. The drastic drop in cinema attendance was attributed mainly to video piracy. The large vacuum invited unwelcome guests as motorcyclists were reported to use the drive-in site for illegal racing activities after the shows ended. In view of these factors, Cathay Organisation decided not to renew its lease from Jurong Town Corporation (JTC). On 30 September 1985, Jurong Drive-in theater screened its last outdoor movies and closed its chapter after 15 years of operation.
Drive-in Theater Revival

Through the years, drive-in cinemas were periodically revived. As part of the 1996 arts festival fringe, the People’s Association Paya Lebar carpark was transformed into a temporary drive-in from 31 May to 1 June, screening family-oriented outdoor movies on both days. In 2003, Kallang carpark was the venue for a drive-in movie organised during the Romancing Singapore Festival. Currently, outdoor films are held once a month at Carpark B, Downtown East, an NTUC Club at Pasir Ris.

From “Jurong Drive-in cinema”

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:42 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:Read full article at: http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_478_2005-01-22.html.


The link does not function. :-|

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:03 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
JR8 wrote: p.s. Went to the cinema last night (a regular one, nothing high-end) and they sell 0.5l glass bottles of beer to take in. Not only that but bottles of wine and prosecco, with proper wine glasses! 8-)

Slightly stranger though, no one, absolutely no one gets up during the movie to go to the loo. Didn't hear one phone in two hours. Nobody texting. Absolutely no chatting. They don't put the lights up until the ending credits have run right through, so everybody stays and sits through them. Weird man :?


How is that in SG cinema? Continuously going to the loo? mobile phone ringing all the time? texting and chatting? :mrgreen:

Well I have been in a classic open air concert by Philharmonic Nuremberg, more than 6000 people attended that concert. During 3 hours no people talking, no phone etc. only applause after each work played.
It started to rain slightly, but nobody went away.

It was really impressive!!


It's a shame they aren't like that after they lose at footie! :cool:

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 12:10 am

Eau2011 wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:Read full article at: http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_478_2005-01-22.html.


The link does not function. :-|


This is where i got the article....

http://www.openaircinema.us/blog/2009/j ... or-cinema/

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 12:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:And there is the reason which Singapore has such a low Fertility Rate. Getting rid of this place was the worst thing they ever did. I had the ultimate Drive-in vehicle back then - my old 73 Cortina estate wagon! :P :cool:


73 Cortina? Check out my old 73 Malibu (24k original miles on purchase in '00!). Chromed, waxed and ready to go! :) :love:
Image

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 12:18 am

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:And there is the reason which Singapore has such a low Fertility Rate. Getting rid of this place was the worst thing they ever did. I had the ultimate Drive-in vehicle back then - my old 73 Cortina estate wagon! :P :cool:


73 Cortina? Check out my old 73 Malibu (24k original miles on purchase in '00!). Chromed, waxed and ready to go! :) :love:
Image


Really a nice antique!

But I will have problems because of no servo steering.

As woman, I don't like diamond, don't like jewelry, but cars. :mrgreen:

But I never had an antique. It looks great!

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 12:29 am

My old 69 Opal GT, which i let go in 2004 when i moved to Singapore, http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/764/caredited.jpg

Purchased a 1 owner 1970 Merc from a pensioner in immaculate condition for 1K sterling, diesel 69k on clock with all service records, have the picture somewhere, I went back for a months holiday and was looking for a run around, it was taxed and tested, my mate in the auto business connected me with the owner. A real beauty I let it go after a month for double money, really sad :cry: . That was in 2007.

No idea what's wrong with image shack these days tried all links.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests