Singapore Expats

What exactly is going on in Egypt and what repercussions ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 23 Feb 2011 5:18 pm

JR8 wrote:You meant UK special forces during the Vn war?
Yes! I'll try and find the link, its quite an interesting read.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Feb 2011 5:32 pm

Oh. No, I did not know that!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 23 Feb 2011 6:36 pm

JR8 wrote:Oh. No, I did not know that!
:o

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 2:49 am

ksl wrote:
Actually due to official secrets act and the sensitivity of military operations, these things are rarely discussed. Though it is normal practice for a person doing a tour with SAS, to be sent for combat experience wherever there are operations, otherwise they may not be a reliable force and tested force. Detachments are exchanged between many forces, to get this operational experience. Australia also had many SAS squadrons operating there. Singapore was a rest and recuperation place back in the late 60's & 70's for those serving in vietnam.

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Vietnam/index.htm

The secret war on counter terrorism in the ME and Dhofar is a very similarly operation of what is going on now, speculation of course. Though the time as come for the leaders to be replaced. Anything can happen as the brotherhood is also fighting for survival, especially in Libya. Many mercenaries have been identified shooting the protesters in Libya

http://britains-smallwars.com/Desert_song/index.htm

I just heard gossip in UK that David Cameron is touring the ME with arms manufacturers and Tony Blair may have his finger in the pie too, this is the kind of squaddie gossip that goes on at these times.
Thanks that is very interesting. I've known a few people that operated in that sphere (Borneo, Aden). More recently I have a mate that used to spend the occasional week doing 'target practice' with vehicle mounted 50s down in Western Sahara.

Blair and co can F off as far as I am concerned. Politicians are low, but he is probably the lowest of all of them.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 1:48 pm

JR8 wrote:
ksl wrote:
:-|
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 4:41 pm

The way vets in the UK are treated is shameful. From what I see they are simply left to fend for themselves.

At least in the US they have the Veterans Association, vets housing, crikey even Veterans Day a public holiday

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 7:38 am

ksl wrote:[I just heard gossip in UK that David Cameron is touring the ME with arms manufacturers and Tony Blair may have his finger in the pie too, this is the kind of squaddie gossip that goes on at these times.
It was on the news that the UK sold arms to countries in the ME like Libya. When D Cameron was in Egypt and Kuwait, a journalist asked in front of the world media, isn't it hypocritical of him to be there advising peace when they're simultaneously selling arms? His answer was that they didn't know who the rogues were but now that they do, it would stop. The usual clever answer. One wonders if they mean what they say.
It's shocking how much weapons there seem to be in Libya and frightening what these people'll do to each other.
The protests in Egypt were much more peaceful in comparison but it's all quieten down and there's no more news coming out. As life gets back to normal and the country's back on the mend, it'd be good to have reports about who's in the new govt,, what is it doing and how will they resolve their problem with Mubarak? Will he be called to face justice? One hopes so as that would give the new govt. better credibility and shed better light on the moral issues involved.
tyianchang

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:48 pm

Last edited by ksl on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 4:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:28 pm

I must say the protests surprised me. One wonders if the initial protest in Iran has anything to do with the spate that followed almost like wild fire. Is it all about a struggle between moderate Muslims and the extremists - if that's so, who's who? I used to think a war is justified if it's for self- defence but the moral prerogative of any leader, group or tribe is smudged by this way of enforced protests. Is it all about territorial fights?
I hope the differences can be reconciled and peaceful solutions sought for. Perhaps the more charismatic Arab leaders, impartial to either side, have to come forward to establish a pan Islamic conference.
Is it going to be an all out struggle between Ghadafy and the other tribes in Libya or can the UN peace keeping force play a much need role to restore peace and begin a round of negotiations?
tyianchang

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:34 pm

What?!?

Libyans are protesting because they're fed up with Ghadafi. What war?!?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:39 pm

tyianchang wrote:I must say the protests surprised me. One wonders if the initial protest in Iran has anything to do with the spate that followed almost like wild fire. Is it all about a struggle between moderate Muslims and the extremists - if that's so, who's who? I used to think a war is justified if it's for self- defence but the moral prerogative of any leader, group or tribe is smudged by this way of enforced protests. Is it all about territorial fights?
I hope the differences can be reconciled and peaceful solutions sought for. Perhaps the more charismatic Arab leaders, impartial to either side, have to come forward to establish a pan Islamic conference.
Is it going to be an all out struggle between Ghadafy and the other tribes in Libya or can the UN peace keeping force play a much need role to restore peace and begin a round of negotiations?
I can compare the UN to the Consumer Advice and Protection Agency, no one with any balls to take any action or cannot take action because the rest on the committee cannot decide.

It's a bureaucratic machine that cocks up, just like the rest of them, it can do nothing but stand by and watch, even if they sent troops in.
Last edited by ksl on Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:45 pm

nakatago wrote:What?!?

Last edited by ksl on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:52 pm

ksl wrote:

Well it goes like this Al Qaeda wants the Country, along with all the other groups, including those waving placards saying democracy, equality, and peace...That's the good boys waving the flag for the west (our allies) that have been planted long long ago just waiting for the day to arrive. Libya is a prize to be taken, with its oil :wink: :lol: It's a long way off war yet. But I'll bet a bottom$ that if the wrong people are seen to be winning, like Bin ladens men, then civil war may break out between tribes
I think Ghadafi may not be too far off when he said Al Qaeda gave someone hallucinating pills...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:56 pm

nakatago wrote:
ksl wrote:

I think Ghadafi may not be too far off when he said Al Qaeda gave someone hallucinating pills...
Ouch! :P
Here's what the experts say http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011 ... amily.html

I hope they are able to create change and share their wealth of the oil, with their people, far too many families are suffering at the hands of the rich.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 5:23 am

nakatago wrote:
ksl wrote:

Well it goes like this Al Qaeda wants the Country, along with all the other groups, including those waving placards saying democracy, equality, and peace...That's the good boys waving the flag for the west (our allies) that have been planted long long ago just waiting for the day to arrive. Libya is a prize to be taken, with its oil :wink: :lol: It's a long way off war yet. But I'll bet a bottom$ that if the wrong people are seen to be winning, like Bin ladens men, then civil war may break out between tribes
Latest update from BBC Special Air Service contingent has been put on standby for emergency deployment to parts of Libya, backed up by paratroopers of the Special Forces Support Group.

I'd say that Britain and the USA are really concerned who is going to take over Libya and the oil, the UN is useless