Singapore Expats

Exporting scrap car parts after COE expires

Discuss about COE and how you can make a good decision in buying your next vehicle.
angmohbeng

Exporting scrap car parts after COE expires

Post by angmohbeng » Fri, 04 Feb 2011 4:17 pm

Hi, has anyone here tried exporting used car parts to eg. the US?

Scenario: COE is expiring on a considerably modded old car. Exporting the car as a driveable vehicle, then converting to LHD, would be way too expensive. So it seems to make sense to ship over only the "special" parts and transfer them to a same-model car chassis in the US. Parts would include engine, gearbox plus other mechanical components and body panels.

I'm hoping you can basically pack them into a container like any household item and ship it, without restrictions stemming from the fact they are car parts...

Thanks in advance,
Scott

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Exporting scrap car parts after COE expires

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 3:00 pm

angmohbeng wrote:Hi, has anyone here tried exporting used car parts to eg. the US?

Scenario: COE is expiring on a considerably modded old car. Exporting the car as a driveable vehicle, then converting to LHD, would be way too expensive. So it seems to make sense to ship over only the "special" parts and transfer them to a same-model car chassis in the US. Parts would include engine, gearbox plus other mechanical components and body panels.

I'm hoping you can basically pack them into a container like any household item and ship it, without restrictions stemming from the fact they are car parts...

Thanks in advance,
Scott
A lot of countries don't look happily at the idea of used car parts, especially considering the legal aspect of safety .. and the other countries in Asia, are wisened up and restrict used car parts to be only imported by agent ..

You could try Africa though .. :D :D

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 4:16 pm

I believe you only have two choices: Scrap the vehicle here or export it. You can put your vehicle information in at OneMotoring (https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/p ... eforeDeReg) to see what difference there might be.

If you scrap the vehicle here, you must take it to an authorized scrap operator. See http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... ators.html. You might talk to one of them about buying back your parts for export.

Your other option is to export the vehicle but if you go this route you must provide shipping details for the whole car, not parts. You'd probably want to find someone in JB to export it to who could break it down and ship it.

More detail here: http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... ister.html

IMHO, this will not be cost effective any way you look at it. You have to pay to export it somewhere and have it broken down, then shipped, or (if legal), work a deal with a scrap operator to get your own car broken down and shipped. I dunno... by the time you get through parting out, crating, and shipping a used engine, I don't see where that will be more cost effective than just buying a used engine wherever you are going.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Exporting scrap car parts after COE expires

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:43 am

ecureilx wrote:
angmohbeng wrote:Hi, has anyone here tried exporting used car parts to eg. the US?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
A lot of countries don't look happily at the idea of used car parts, especially considering the legal aspect of safety .. and the other countries in Asia, are wisened up and restrict used car parts to be only imported by agent ..

You could try Africa though .. :D :D
Old post, so i deleted all my helpful information :lol: :P Trade secrets!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 6:53 am

You mean I've gotta start locking all the threads against the regulars now? You've turned out to be a lot of help. :mad:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 8:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You mean I've gotta start locking all the threads against the regulars now? You've turned out to be a lot of help. :mad:
Crikey you are up early!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 9:08 am

I log on around 6:30 every morning (work days anyway) for around 20-30 minutes while I'm havin' brekky before catching the bus. Time enough to delete all the spammers that JR8 & Nak's PM me about overnight. ;-)

You start deleting useful information here, this board doesn't work as a useful reference very much does it. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SpawnyWhippet

Post by SpawnyWhippet » Mon, 11 Apr 2011 11:30 am

I think you'd be better off selling the valuable parts on ebay and scrapping the rest