Barber for Blacks

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 1:49 pm

BillyB wrote:Tried these guys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4y1U3jrBTI

this is better yet :D

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11650
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 6:36 pm

GeeJay wrote:Did anyone ever manage to find a decent barber for afro-carribean hair?
I've been here for 4 years, trying a different barber almost every week.

The standard of barbery? barberism?..........hairdressing here is generally poor, but there MUST be some diamonds in the dirt?

There was a period of 6 months, where I went to one guy in Little India who was of a reasonable standard. Unfortunately, he's returned to Malaysia, so am back in this predicament. Tried a few of the salons, where they have no clue what they are doing, trying to cut my hair with scissors!!!!!!!!!

Afro carribean/West Indian/African American hair + Scissors = NO NO NO!!

I just need to find someone who can do a regular high or low fade, with decent shape up that can trim me religiously every week. The shape up is more important than the fade.. I have pictures of the desired look if necessary :)

Does anyone have any success stories?

Thanks in advance chums
Not being black I cannot attest to success stories but I can attest to a hair dresser who has clicked on how I want my hair cut, and does it as I ask... I get the "Caesar" look every time... and no, not Sid.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 7:02 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Not being black I cannot attest to success stories but I can attest to a hair dresser who has clicked on how I want my hair cut, and does it as I ask... I get the "Caesar" look every time... and no, not Sid.
Do you go in dressed in a toga? :lol:

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11650
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 7:11 pm

JR8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: Not being black I cannot attest to success stories but I can attest to a hair dresser who has clicked on how I want my hair cut, and does it as I ask... I get the "Caesar" look every time... and no, not Sid.
Do you go in dressed in a toga? :lol:
Shalwar Kameez... Asian style. :cool:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 8:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: Not being black I cannot attest to success stories but I can attest to a hair dresser who has clicked on how I want my hair cut, and does it as I ask... I get the "Caesar" look every time... and no, not Sid.
Do you go in dressed in a toga? :lol:
Shalwar Kameez... Asian style. :cool:
Ooh la la! :lol:

GeeJay
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:40 am
Location: City Square

Post by GeeJay » Mon, 16 May 2011 11:50 am

Big shout out to Sensouth! I owe you a drink buddy..

Pointed me in the direction of Selvam in Upper Bukit Timah

Bit of a trek from the City, but worth it.

For the first time ever, there was no need for me to draw my own haircut on a napkin, show a catalogue of pictures i've downloaded from the internet, or repeat instructions 100 times..

He gave me a decent trim, no fuss, no taking my hairline back to the top of my head and I wasnt there all day.

If I closed my eyes, I couldve been in a barbershop back in London somewhere (North or West me thinks), minus the extortionate pricing, mindless banter or intimidating stares from 'the mandem'. Even had Dax on the counter ready for my waves. Nice touch.

Good job Selvam
7 out of 10 for my first visit
[right]....the ramblings of an inquisitive british expat[/right]

Post Reply

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests