Singapore Expats

Filial Piety Revisited

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 8:58 pm

ksl wrote:
Addadude wrote:How about adding an "Ignore list" button to the user profile?

Alternatively - if you see a thread started by someone you don't admire, just ignore and get on with your life.
Yes I have seen this on some forums....or a I LOVE ANNE button :lol: I LOVE SMS :P I HATE THAT IMABICILE, we could just have smiley's and non smiley's, No text :lol: Block buttons :-| I don't mind that you all block me, I just want to rant :lol: :P as I've nothing better to do at my age. Crikey my wheelchair is stuck immobile i'll be here all day now!
Blimey, ksl, you deserve a BIG KISS for handling everything so well. Are you really on a wheelchair?
Can we take turns to look after your daily walks as a way of practicing our FP , and hence, (tongue in cheek) scoring good karma? Afterall, twas you who revived this thread designated to RIP before the second act -
SMS's intermission statement.
tyianchang

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 9:03 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:I have not posted on this topic much, and have been reading all from the sidelines, I feel the same way WIMH feels, that there are some people here, that are taking this too personally, with personal attacks on Anne, let us agree to disagree, everyone here have different backgrounds and status, and if we all meet face to face, we will better understand each other. Peace.

x9200 wrote:Ok, got it. I think I had one beer too many yesterday and not thinking that clearly now.
Were you watching the Liverpool - Man U match last night? I was with 5 of my mates at Wala, watching too. Great to see the REDS win.
Thanks for posting all the same. I bet the current bizarre turn of events's giving you a headache. It is to me, in fact, I've got a little swell at the back of my head ( not from this lah) which I hope is not a Cancer blob! EEEks - let me see SG before I go to heaven, or hell. lol
tyianchang

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 9:15 pm

Addadude wrote:How about adding an "Ignore list" button to the user profile?

Alternatively - if you see a thread started by someone you don't admire, just ignore and get on with your life.
Good advice Addadude. That's what I mostly do but sometimes, one tries to practise equality by giving attention to all, and then, one also is a bit soft-hearted. As always, curiousity can kill the cat - by this I mean, one can't avoid reading even a nasty thread to see how far a poster would go! But it's best to follow your advice as it's all virtual anyway.
tyianchang

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:43 pm

JR8 wrote:
One would think that they could take hints, even hints like socks filled with birdshot don't even seem to get through. #-o ](*,) Both want the last word which is a shame because eventually, if they don't grow up a bit, some moderator will get the last word.

ksl, in a wheelchair! :o That, I can assure you isn't happening yet. However, I have seen him virtually legless! :lol:

To be honest, I weren't too far behind either! :oops:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:20 pm

JR8 wrote: Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJKVKglIRs

and the remake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

@SMS: is this the new "The Last One to Post Wins" thread now?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:32 pm

JR8 wrote:Sounds like the typical advice given from ‘old and wise heads’ on a forum for how to deal with a troll.
Who you calling old? :x

Am I the winner? Am I the winner? As of now I'm the last to post, woohoo!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:38 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
JR8 wrote:Sounds like the typical advice given from ‘old and wise heads’ on a forum for how to deal with a troll.
Who you calling old? :x

Am I the winner? Am I the winner? As of now I'm the last to post, woohoo!
Nay nay and thrice nay! For it is me!

I meant to infer experience rather than agedness; so you can keep your wig on and teeth in for now dear :wink: :P

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:52 pm

JR8 wrote:Nay nay and thrice nay! For it is me!

I meant to infer experience rather than agedness; so you can keep your wig on and teeth in for now dear :wink: :P
Nay, your dear I'm not, you Chaucer-sounding fossil.

And I lent my wig to SMS. Lordie knows he needs it more than me.

And I win again!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:04 am

Wind In My Hair wrote: And I lent my wig to SMS. Lordie knows he needs it more than me.

And I win again!
:tongue: :devil: Well, you won for a little while. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:25 am

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote: Image

@SMS: is this the new "The Last One to Post Wins" thread now?
wow Johnny Cash, was he really only 71 when he passed on, if that's him in the video, he looks really old I thought 80 or 90.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 1:22 am

ksl wrote: wow Johnny Cash, was he really only 71 when he passed on, if that's him in the video, he looks really old I thought 80 or 90.
Johnny Cash suffered from a form of Parkinson's disease and diabetes maybe that's why.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 2:25 am

Plavt wrote:
ksl wrote: wow Johnny Cash, was he really only 71 when he passed on, if that's him in the video, he looks really old I thought 80 or 90.
Johnny Cash suffered from a form of Parkinson's disease and diabetes maybe that's why.
Oh dear, his music was great!
Last edited by ksl on Tue, 08 Mar 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 3:53 am

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote: [picture]
If the original text was kept together with that graphic, it might have been easier to see that it was intended as a rye observation on the theme of apparent hopelessness.

An interesting choice of musical accompaniment there, and I happen to really like it in both versions. The NIN I saw live in London c.'90-92(?) and they blew me away, that was before they did a mass Brian Wilson type career shift. Jonny Cash, I think my conscience was scalded early by Ring of Fire so otherwise he never entered my conscious. Then I heard him do that version of Hurt, and well, the poignancy of it alone blew me away all over again.

Do I get to sleep with the Last Post trophy at least overnight? :lol: :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 4:02 am

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote: [picture]
If the original text was kept together with that graphic, it might have been easier to see that it was intended as a rye observation on the theme of apparent hopelessness.

An interesting choice of musical accompaniment there, and I happen to really like it in both versions. The NIN I saw live in London c.'90-92(?) and they blew me away, that was before they did a mass Brian Wilson type career shift. Jonny Cash, I think my conscience was scalded early by Ring of Fire so otherwise he never entered my conscious. Then I heard him do that version of Hurt, and well, the poignancy of it alone blew me away all over again.

Do I get to sleep with the Last Post trophy at least overnight? :lol: :wink:
Yes Okay :wink:

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tyianchang » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 7:22 pm

And here I am, musing about the after life and the great FP of those guys as they discussed the latest SMS for their parents as how FP Conquers space these days. The high numbers of readers in this thread might be a sign of youngsters reading up about FP and what'll they think about this lapse into bunfights and ego preening? A typical way , err, to relax; or a sign that the topic's mundane nature is a subject for the shelf??

A new thought flashed through. The structural framework for FP practice is all the way TOP DOWN ( like the way the Mods raise their big sticks) which is the same as Honour thy Father and thy mother. The minions must look up to the respectable experienced and take it all from them. Is that an ancient custom needing reforms?
The break away from that age encrusted structure have started with the cultural revolution in China; and who knows when elsewhere. Was the GCR a good thing, an inevitable course of events or a necessity to put the balance right?
Hmm, not intending to invite another spate of hot-headed acrimonies but in today's situation, esp in the UK, all children know their RIGHTS and some will throw that in the face of their parents and teachers ( from informed cases at parental consultations). Some become competely unteachable, but glad to say, that's only a handful. Still, it could be a sign of the things to come.
I met a few in SG too, ( sigh of relief ) children going against the grip their parents have on them and reacting by making big statements - cultivating deliberate disruptive nature, smoking, not studying, truanting, littering and showing off such anti-social acts.
In most families today, parents live for their children - ensuring the best for them, looking after every potential or whim a child might have and basically, tailoring their lives round the needs of their children like moving to a house near the best school or catchment area; selecting jobs that match with the demands of children's needs etc. Recently somebody thinks it's funny when he says, "My parents give me all the support and I give them all the trouble" as a quote for mother's day that's coming.
Have our expectations tipped the other way in the sense that children expect a lot from their parents while parents, being mostly self-sufficient and of independent means have freed all expectations from their children?
Is society too child-centred at the expense of parents' own needs? Can FP be practised in small families or does it need the support of extended families?
tyianchang

Return to “General Discussions”