Singapore Expats Forum

Filial Piety Revisited

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue, 25 Jan 2011
Location: uk

Postby tyianchang » Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:01 pm

JR8 wrote:If that is the problem, simple answer...

Copy and paste the message to which you wish to reply into a new e-mail [say Outlook]. Insert your reply. Add formatting.

Open Explorer again and this forum, and the post to which you are replying. Copy and paste as a reply. Preview to check formatting. Post.

If it fails, you still have all of your original in Outlook as a back-up.


I really mean this - thanks for your effort JR8. You know, you really do have some very fine thinking, but it depends on where it comes from. Will it take a lot more menacing teasing to get you on your feet again? Or do you just do the Bacchanalian thing and pxxx your head off trying to break down the wall or whatever.
Don't be silly darling, just be good. The world's in the throes of revolutions so you really should stay close to home and practise a bit more FP, yeah? No offence, however prodigal. And even if I ignore your coming jibes, (gosh it's really tiring) just know this - you're a great guy and it makes a difference to have you around.
tyianchang

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 1:33 am

JR8 wrote:Ground control to aunt Batty
Ground control to aunt Batty
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
(Ten) Ground control (Nine) to major Tom (Eight)
(Seven, six) Commencing countdown (Five), engines on (Four)
(Three, two) Check ignition (One) and may gods (Blastoff) love be with you

This is ground control to aunt Batty, you've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose blouses you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

This is aunt Batty to ground control, I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today
Here am I floatin' 'round my tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles, I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my readers I love them very much, they know
Ground control to aunt Batty, your circuits dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, aunt Batty?
Can you hear me, aunt Batty?
Can you hear me, aunt Batty?
Can you...
Here am I sitting in my tin can far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do


Now I understood it finally where she appears, there is a fight. This is the first time I read this post.

She is just another kind of breedmon, what a waste of time. #-o

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 1:54 am

I like that song.

To me it symbolises someone spinning off into space, and losing any connection with earth, bound up in their own personal version of reality.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 4:01 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Damn! What happened to my post? :???:

Well here's the gist of it:

anneteoh you are basing your premise on two gross stereotypes:

1. That a benevolent version of filial piety is practiced by 'most if not all youngsters' here in Singapore, and

2. the concept of filial piety is 'unheard of in the West'.

As I understand it, filial piety has more to do with respect and obedience and less to do with pocket money. Money means nothing without respect. I think children in Confucius's day treated their parents exactly as they do today ~ as they were taught to by their parents, regardless of geography.

Honor they mother and father is a universal concept.

=D> =D>
Last edited by Eau2011 on Thu, 03 Mar 2011 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Re: Filial Piety Revisited

Postby Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 4:04 am

nakatago wrote:
anneteoh wrote:I mean, imagine getting such returns from your children - all of which goes without saying. A good culture to continue?


This is a very dangerous mindset from parents. I know some people who have children just because they want good returns from them in the future and not because they want children to reach their full potential. They start really early to depend on the children. These children, in turn, fail to establish lives for themselves which further prevents them from properly taking care of their parents and doom their children's futures as well.


She treated her children probably as assets. (Dang, how can I miss this thread! Well I have just been here not long enough!)

She has calculated her whole life the return of inverstment, opportunity cost for bearing children and raising them, and expected good return and has thought if it's worth to have children or rather to buy some stocks.

What a horror!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 4:16 am

If I had parents that like I'd be more inclined to fund assisted suicide than 'filial piety' and coach trips.

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue, 25 Jan 2011
Location: uk

Re: Filial Piety Revisited

Postby tyianchang » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 4:28 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
anneteoh wrote:I mean, imagine getting such returns from your children - all of which goes without saying. A good culture to continue?


This is a very dangerous mindset from parents. I know some people who have children just because they want good returns from them in the future and not because they want children to reach their full potential. They start really early to depend on the children. These children, in turn, fail to establish lives for themselves which further prevents them from properly taking care of their parents and doom their children's futures as well.


She treated her children probably as assets. (Dang, how can I miss this thread! Well I have just been here not long enough!)

Such malicious bad mouthing without any grounds sounds similar. The game's over, masquerader Rogue Girl from the Malaysian Forum. You're certainly no mainlander Chinese. Makes me cringe now to think of reading about all those scandals couched in similalry vile moral and langauge. You just can't wait to show your real self. What a waste of time - the ulterior motive; obviously you're still hanging round the drinks lounge. You should learn some respect for the elderly especially when you're an old single girl. What a pretense.

Eeeks! Confucius attacked by vicious virus!!!! We have yet to hear much more unimagined nastiness from such who live their lives in the way they're describing.
[/color]

She has calculated her whole life the return of inverstment, opportunity cost for bearing children and raising them, and expected good return and has thought if it's worth to have children or rather to buy some stocks.

What a horror!


How utterly boring. Where does that hideous mouthful, so alien to me, come from? You are what you say. You probably think you'd impressed others with your language skills.
Nothing but market talk again in SG now? Sorry guys the standard's plumetting.
Phew, such gross vitriol and what a history from where it brewed. I wouldn't waste my time getting down to this level. Your post to this OP is unacceptable scandal mongering. Try the jokes and rubbish section.
tyianchang

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:11 pm

Image

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Re: Filial Piety Revisited

Postby Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:31 pm

tyianchang wrote: She treated her children probably as assets. (Dang, how can I miss this thread! Well I have just been here not long enough!)

Such malicious bad mouthing without any grounds sounds similar. The game's over, masquerader Rogue Girl from the Malaysian Forum. You're certainly no mainlander Chinese. Makes me cringe now to think of reading about all those scandals couched in similalry vile moral and langauge. You just can't wait to show your real self. What a waste of time - the ulterior motive; obviously you're still hanging round the drinks lounge. You should learn some respect for the elderly especially when you're an old single girl. What a pretense.


Auntie Anne, that's what you wrote (see blow). You must the most horrible mother in the world I have ever seen. Old single girl? I'm married very happily with my husband. I came to SG with him because he's a delegate of a German MNC here. :P

You have problem with Malaysian girl? For me, everybody is equal, I don't know what the Malaysian girls do , but I guess I would still pay respect to them too if they are upright persons.

I guess you never had a good education and you are wasting your time in Europe and did not learn some more civilization during your decades stay, so you still use your superior Singaporean Chinese eyes to look your Malaysian neighbours.

I think most Singaporeans are great, at least I know e.g. WIMH, EV-D, MS and our door guard of our condo, a nice uncle, but there are bad exceptions, you are one of them.


tyianchang wrote: That's a good question. Obviously, I can't stop my children from what they want to do. I'd hope nothing violent would happen but if they're at the stage for a struggle of power with the authorities, then they've taken everything in their own stride. I might be for or against but I would'nt blame anyone for the death of my children who took up the challenge to fight for changes. As a reference point for the Tainanmen protest, the government wanted a discussion but the student leaders refused to budge. I wouldn't follow leaders of any kind if I wanted things changed because I need to chnge myself first.
Last edited by Eau2011 on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:34 pm

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Be nice people..... no point getting angry, and say angry words, we just all have different points of view... that's all. Peace.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:37 pm

@JR 8,

What is "masquerader Rogue Girl from the Malaysian Forum" which Auntie Anne mentioned?

Does a native-born British know about this term if he/she has never lived in SG or Southeast Asia?

Or a typical slang from Singaporean to show their condescending attitude?
Last edited by Eau2011 on Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Filial Piety Revisited

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:39 pm

tyianchang wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
anneteoh wrote:I mean, imagine getting such returns from your children - all of which goes without saying. A good culture to continue?


This is a very dangerous mindset from parents. I know some people who have children just because they want good returns from them in the future and not because they want children to reach their full potential. They start really early to depend on the children. These children, in turn, fail to establish lives for themselves which further prevents them from properly taking care of their parents and doom their children's futures as well.


She treated her children probably as assets. (Dang, how can I miss this thread! Well I have just been here not long enough!)

Such malicious bad mouthing without any grounds sounds similar. The game's over, masquerader Rogue Girl from the Malaysian Forum. You're certainly no mainlander Chinese. Makes me cringe now to think of reading about all those scandals couched in similalry vile moral and langauge. You just can't wait to show your real self. What a waste of time - the ulterior motive; obviously you're still hanging round the drinks lounge. You should learn some respect for the elderly especially when you're an old single girl. What a pretense.

Eeeks! Confucius attacked by vicious virus!!!! We have yet to hear much more unimagined nastiness from such who live their lives in the way they're describing.
[/color]

She has calculated her whole life the return of inverstment, opportunity cost for bearing children and raising them, and expected good return and has thought if it's worth to have children or rather to buy some stocks.

What a horror!


How utterly boring. Where does that hideous mouthful, so alien to me, come from? You are what you say. You probably think you'd impressed others with your language skills.
Nothing but market talk again in SG now? Sorry guys the standard's plumetting.
Phew, such gross vitriol and what a history from where it brewed. I wouldn't waste my time getting down to this level. Your post to this OP is unacceptable scandal mongering. Try the jokes and rubbish section.


Er so can we take it that you disagree with Eau2011?

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Postby Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:47 pm

tyianchang wrote: Eeeks! Confucius attacked by vicious virus!!!! We have yet to hear much more unimagined nastiness from such who live their lives in the way they're describing. [/color] [/color]



Coufucius said: Ji suo bu yu, wu shi yu ren. 己所不欲,勿施于人。
Do not do unto other what you do not want others to do unto you."

Think about it, Auntie Anne, why I say this. You have just got what you deserved. :P

I suppose you never understood Confucius. Confucius believed humanity to be good at its very core and therefore considered rén仁 to be a part of everyone. Rén仁 was believed to be a natural quality inside of every person. Have you even had it or you just lost it? :P

You need to put the word 仁 on the wall in your bedroom and read it everyday 100 times. :P
Last edited by Eau2011 on Thu, 03 Mar 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 6:51 pm

Eau2011 wrote:@JR 8,

What is "masquerader Rogue Girl from the Malaysian Forum" which Auntie Anne mentioned?

Does a native-born British know about this term if he/she has never lived in SG or Southeast Asia?

Or a typical slang from Singaporean to show their condescending attitude?



That is a good question. I believe the insinuation is that you have come to this forum from another and that you are in fact Malaysian, and not Chinese as you have said.

I presume that this is why the OP believes you are 'against her', as she cannot accept that someone 100* more Chinese than she'll ever be might be. Ergo [therefore] by definition you must be some non-Chinese, Chinese hating foreigner.

Hey, I was accused of being an 'anti-Chinese agent', so no big deal. There just seems to be some kind of paranoia going on that's all. Sometimes there is no point trying to make sense of something, where none exists :)

Best wishes for a nice day Eau! :)

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed, 09 Feb 2011

Re: Filial Piety Revisited

Postby Eau2011 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 7:09 pm

tyianchang wrote: How utterly boring. Where does that hideous mouthful, so alien to me, come from? You are what you say. You probably think you'd impressed others with your language skills.
Nothing but market talk again in SG now? Sorry guys the standard's plumetting.
Phew, such gross vitriol and what a history from where it brewed. I wouldn't waste my time getting down to this level. Your post to this OP is unacceptable scandal mongering. Try the jokes and rubbish section.


Alien to you? no, Auntie Anne, exactly the echo of what you wrote on which nobody agreed with you.

Filial piety is never meant to give parents pocket money and those BS. Your thread should really be categorized to the section of rubbish and joke.

What I also agree in an European way (see below) Yes, money means nothing without respect! Honor their mother and father is a universal concept.


Eau2011 wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Damn! What happened to my post? :???:

Well here's the gist of it:

anneteoh you are basing your premise on two gross stereotypes:

1. That a benevolent version of filial piety is practiced by 'most if not all youngsters' here in Singapore, and

2. the concept of filial piety is 'unheard of in the West'.

As I understand it, filial piety has more to do with respect and obedience and less to do with pocket money. Money means nothing without respect. I think children in Confucius's day treated their parents exactly as they do today ~ as they were taught to by their parents, regardless of geography.

Honor they mother and father is a universal concept.

=D> =D>
Last edited by Eau2011 on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 6:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • The tips thing, revisited
    by Brah » Sat, 17 May 2014 10:59 pm » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    47
    7772
    by zzm9980 View the latest post
    Sun, 08 Jun 2014 3:24 am

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests