Singapore Expats Forum

Filial Piety Revisited

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 11 Feb 2011 4:47 pm

Plavt wrote:
JR8 wrote:p.s. You saying she's not even SGn....

She isn't, she lives here in the UK. I find it ridiculous that someone who claims to be a teacher cannot even get the name of the chancellor correct who in any case is not the leader of the commons as we all should know, hence my smiley earlier. How many times do you hear George Osbourne's name let alond David Cameron's? One would hope somebody in a profession would be amongst the first to stay up to date with the news? I agree with the rest of JR8's post.

Wading through the quagmire one did find the occasional pearl of unintentional humour, such as the Osmand/Osbourne one to which you refer. That's almost the kind of slip of the tongue my decrepit mother might make, but then she would not visit internet forums demanding attention in the same breath.

Oh I thought she was a quitter, not that she wasn't from there in the first place. Jeez, I gave her far too much credit (though her not knowing about the Christopher Lingle libel case etc did set me wondering quite how much she knew about recent times in SG) :)

Anyway, better get the tin-hats on as I expect some more 'incoming' will be on it's way...

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 8:32 am

JR8 wrote:30 years in power, engineering his son to take over. Billionaires.

Mubarak issit?

JR8, now you have done it....... Mubarak resigned last night.
Amazing how a post here can affect a person so far away... :o

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 12:34 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 1:54 pm

:o I didn't do nothink!

:lol:

Brah
Manager
Manager

Postby Brah » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 2:31 pm

Yes. But train wreck is more like where I was going.
JR8 wrote:Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

SMS may be right about intelligence, but when it's used in the way it has been it becomes questionable.

Many of what seem to be intelligent people drive in Singapore.

But when someone is in their way, like when a car is legitimately trying to turn with indicator lights flashing and waiting for a safe time to turn, with that car being "in their way" these same people do that childlike angry horn honking thing. Seen it too many times. Steam coming out of their ears. And if confronted would be able to speak intelligently with arcane references to elegantly support an otherwise weak position.

There may be a parallel here. Living somewhere and being from somewhere area not always the same.

There's intelligence and there's emotional intelligence. And then there's just plain common sense.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 2:50 pm

Yeah'ok, and your point is?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 6:48 pm

Brah wrote:Yes. But train wreck is more like where I was going.

SMS may be right about intelligence, but when it's used in the way it has been it becomes questionable.

But when someone is in their way, like when a car is legitimately trying to turn with indicator lights flashing and waiting for a safe time to turn, with that car being "in their way" these same people do that childlike angry horn honking thing. Seen it too many times. Steam coming out of their ears. And if confronted would be able to speak intelligently with arcane references to elegantly support an otherwise weak position.

There may be a parallel here. Living somewhere and being from somewhere area not always the same.

There's intelligence and there's emotional intelligence. And then there's just plain common sense.

Is there a correlation between Mubarak resigning and your post above ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 6:52 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Brah wrote:Yes. But train wreck is more like where I was going.

Is there a correlation between Mubarak resigning and your post above ?

http://verydemotivational.memebase.com/2010/03/17/demotivational-posters-context/

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Postby tyianchang » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 7:47 pm

ksl wrote:
she usually is pretty well documented, if a tad more long-winded and convoluted than either myself (bad) and ksl (worse! ).
I can feel a slight change in the last month, so I'll give you the honour of being worse than me for once. I've run out of steam! :P :wink:

ksl , Confucius says (for me,haha ) " How honest is Ksl. When the state is with the way, he is like the arrow. When the state is without the way,, he is like the arrow."

You're my always my friend for what's virtual becomes a reality.

Annecdotes - The way refers to the cultivation of the gentleman , one with benevolence, rightouesness and virtue.
Last edited by tyianchang on Sat, 12 Feb 2011 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tyianchang

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Postby tyianchang » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 7:52 pm

Plavt wrote:
JR8 wrote:p.s. You saying she's not even SGn....

She isn't, she lives here in the UK. I find it ridiculous that someone who claims to be a teacher cannot even get the name of the chancellor correct who in any case is not the leader of the commons as we all should know, hence my smiley earlier. How many times do you hear George Osbourne's name let alond David Cameron's? One would hope somebody in a profession would be amongst the first to stay up to date with the news? I agree with the rest of JR8's post.

You're right there, just don't nag on about it or draw judgemental conclusions on such a big scale - poof! I'm not worth it.
Osmond is the nickname we gave G Osbourne (at home), and when typing, I acually forgot what his public name is! BTW, I 've met and chatted with him.
Last edited by tyianchang on Sat, 12 Feb 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyianchang

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Postby tyianchang » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 8:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Anne is extremely intelligent. I won't try to take anything away from her in that respect. She has my respect as she usually is pretty well documented, if a tad more long-winded and convoluted than either myself (bad) and ksl (worse! ;) ). She used to dazzle us with brilliance in her arguments, but lately, she is baffling us with BS instead. Unfortunately, she has recently taken it upon herself, rightly or wrongly, to see shadows where none exist and to assume that Asia & Singapore are the same as she knew it in the '90's or '60's, whenever she taught here for a couple of years.

sms

Conceding now, are you SMS? In actual fact, I'm not half as lwinded (new coinge )as you or ksl - and you know you both lwindle because you want to be explicit. kls goes a step beyond - he's what he is and tells us so. You can trust him.
I was rather worried about your absence for a bit, hoping I didn't scare you with an invocation to my ancestors! But this should go to the right thread and perhaps I'll follow it up.

Now, here's a bit of Confucius when asked about enlightenment. He said,
" To be unaffacted by accumulative slander and nagging grievances can be considered as enlightened. To be unaffected by accumulative slander and naggig grievances can be considered as far-sighted."

But say, thank you guys for following my posts so closely. Phew, I didn't know any of you can care so much!

I do concede I went off tangents now and then in this op to avoid the mundane pettiness of having to detract my specific examples as generalisations. In fact, that's the style in Confucuius' discourses.

What's the 60s or the 90s when something from the 550 BC is revived by the MOE in primary schools today, according to Kiwi? And to think that I started this op without being aware of that... perhaps that's where all the frustrations come from.
Last edited by tyianchang on Sat, 12 Feb 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyianchang

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Postby tyianchang » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 8:33 pm

QRM wrote:Outrageous everyone implying tyianchang is a bag lady who found a laptop, I find her strangely attractive.

You can't imagine - a bag lady? Ha, I won't be carrying a bunch of bananas or a bag of peanuts. If you're seeking fascination, climb up the Batu Caves. You'll meet mny of your kind. Hehe monkeys don't have no hard feelings.
tyianchang

tyianchang
Chatter
Chatter

Postby tyianchang » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 8:40 pm

Plavt wrote:Ksl, a one line post! :shock: :shock: :P

Says who?
Virtue speaks louder than words.
tyianchang

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 9:59 pm

tyianchang wrote:
Says who?
Virtue speaks louder than words.

:???: :???: :???: :???:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:44 pm

Ground control to aunt Batty
Ground control to aunt Batty
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
(Ten) Ground control (Nine) to major Tom (Eight)
(Seven, six) Commencing countdown (Five), engines on (Four)
(Three, two) Check ignition (One) and may gods (Blastoff) love be with you

This is ground control to aunt Batty, you've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose blouses you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

This is aunt Batty to ground control, I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today
Here am I floatin' 'round my tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles, I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my readers I love them very much, they know
Ground control to aunt Batty, your circuits dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, aunt Batty?
Can you...
Here am I sitting in my tin can far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do
Last edited by JR8 on Sat, 12 Feb 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.