Singapore Expats

TV reception in bomb shelter

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
mules
Regular
Regular

TV reception in bomb shelter

Post by mules » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:36 pm

Need some advice, as I purchased a small LCD TV for my maid to watch whilst she does the ironing. She usually does the ironing in the evenings in the 'yard' area as she is not comfortable standing in the living room whilst we are watching tv. The closest point to connect the tv is the bomb shelter, but the reception is really poor despite connecting the cable directly to the tv point in the shelter. We can't pickup channel 5 for instance. This is a new condo, so not sure whether it is a poor tv point installed, or whether there's a lot of metal in the shelter interfering - although given the advice of the govt is to hook up a tv and radio in the shelter anyway, am surprised it is so poor.
Any suggestions?

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:57 pm

Maybe your small LCD TV's tuner is a lemon. Perhaps try plugging the TV into a working socket to rule that out?
It's common sense - if you try to come in before I go out, I can't go out. And you can't come in! Lose-lose!

mules
Regular
Regular

Post by mules » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks, tried this already. It tunes fine in socket of other rooms, so am trying to ascertain if it is due to the bomb shelter itself causing problems, or a poor socket. If it is because of the structure of the bomb shelter, there's no point me returning this tv for another model. Guess I may have to call someone out to take a look, but also hesitant having just purchased a tv we may not now be able to use, then to pay a few $$$ to be told 'cannot' because it is the shelter.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 1:55 am

mules wrote:Thanks, tried this already. It tunes fine in socket of other rooms, so am trying to ascertain if it is due to the bomb shelter itself causing problems, or a poor socket. If it is because of the structure of the bomb shelter, there's no point me returning this tv for another model. Guess I may have to call someone out to take a look, but also hesitant having just purchased a tv we may not now be able to use, then to pay a few $$$ to be told 'cannot' because it is the shelter.
Its more likely to be the splitter, which tend to get oxidized and or sediment. I have just had the same problem in the bedrooms.

It cannot be the bomb shelter as the feed is by cable from the splitter, a new splitter should do the trick or just try changing the splitter around with another one first.

mules
Regular
Regular

Post by mules » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks all for your advice. Issue resolved, after all your feedback, I took another look at the socket, it has a FM point and TV point, so I tried the FM point just in case, and guess what, perfect reception and all channels. Likely they have just put the face plate on wrong, as the plate has FM and TV both upside and downside.

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:46 pm

-_-
It's common sense - if you try to come in before I go out, I can't go out. And you can't come in! Lose-lose!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:56 am

mules wrote:Thanks all for your advice. Issue resolved, after all your feedback, I took another look at the socket, it has a FM point and TV point, so I tried the FM point just in case, and guess what, perfect reception and all channels. Likely they have just put the face plate on wrong, as the plate has FM and TV both upside and downside.
That figures!

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”