Singapore Expats Forum

average salary for a waiter

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
andreasitaly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 21 Jan 2011

average salary for a waiter

Postby andreasitaly » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:47 am

hi! i'm andreas and i'm from italy.
I was thinking to move to SG and working as waiter or as bartender for few months, i have experience and good skillis.

Someone knows how is the salary per hour?
The salary is paid every week or once a month?

thanks! :wink:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:27 pm

$7/hour, tips if you are lucky. This is not a country with a tipping culture. In addition to that the businesses automatically tack on a "service" charge of around 10%. That ends up in a pool with the owner keeping the lion's share of it and occasionally divvying it up among ALL the staff evenly, which lead to hohum to "it sucks" service by the staff because it doesn't matter how attentive they are, they are going to have to give up part of their tips to the freeloaders. Most pay monthly. That way they are able to keep the staff for at least a month.

User avatar
andreasitaly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 21 Jan 2011

Postby andreasitaly » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:39 pm

thanks for the fast reply!

wow, only 7$ per hour! it's a very low pay! :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:42 pm

Asians don't like to work in industries where they are "servants" to others. It's work only the lower echelons of the society perform. To them, it's not considered a "profession", but a job that, if absolutely necessary, they will do until they can find a job.

User avatar
andreasitaly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 21 Jan 2011

Postby andreasitaly » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:57 pm

i understand what u mean.
Also for me working as waiter or bartender is not a real job. I would like working as waiter only to understand how the SG life is.
i'd work only for few months, just the time to understand if i could live in this city or not.

Probably is better if i save some money in my country and then i come to sg as tourist

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 1:40 pm

andreasitaly wrote:i understand what u mean.
Also for me working as waiter or bartender is not a real job. I would like working as waiter only to understand how the SG life is.
i'd work only for few months, just the time to understand if i could live in this city or not.

Probably is better if i save some money in my country and then i come to sg as tourist
Its okay having dreams, bringing them to reality is a little different, what makes you think Singapore will let you work here?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 2:01 pm

If he's young enough and has the right tertiary eduction he can come here on a work/holiday program for 6 months. (most end up working down on Robertson Quay as waiters/waitresses/bar jockeys)

User avatar
andreasitaly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 21 Jan 2011

Postby andreasitaly » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:09 pm

ksl wrote:Its okay having dreams, bringing them to reality is a little different, what makes you think Singapore will let you work here?


i'm not dreaming man...
i already told that i come to Sg just to see how sg life is. My idea is to open a business and i know that i can do it.
I'd work as waiter or bartender just to understand better the society. easy.

ah, i'm gratueded... :wink:
Last edited by andreasitaly on Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
andreasitaly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 21 Jan 2011

Postby andreasitaly » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If he's young enough and has the right tertiary eduction he can come here on a work/holiday program for 6 months. (most end up working down on Robertson Quay as waiters/waitresses/bar jockeys)


6 months work holiday program? sound good

i'm 29 y.o. and i'm graduated.. i hope that i can use that kind of visa. should be cool

User avatar
adione
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon, 28 Dec 2009
Location: east

Postby adione » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 5:17 pm

andreasitaly wrote:..
i already told that i come to Sg just to see how sg life is. My idea is to open a business and i know that i can do it.
I'd work as waiter or bartender just to understand better the society. easy.

ah, i'm gratueded... :wink:


Ciao Andreas,
which kind of business are you willing to open here in SG?

User avatar
andreasitaly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 21 Jan 2011

Postby andreasitaly » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:20 am

ciao,

i'd like to open something about the food... :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andreasodi and 2 guests