Singapore Expats Forum

Minor Annoyances

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 4:00 pm

The pace at which some people walk hints that they might be trying out to be extras in the next season of "The Walking Dead." :)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 4:36 pm

aster wrote:The pace at which some people walk hints that they might be trying out to be extras in the next season of "The Walking Dead." :)

not just the pace but the general lack of direction and spatial awareness!

saturdaynitespecial

Nanny state?

Postby saturdaynitespecial » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 1:19 am

>>>On the stairs and escalators of the MRT/buildings people generally walk on the left or stand left - walk right but in the open spaces in a crowd it seems to be a free-for all with no discernible pattern. Is this like an ant colony and there is organization but I just cannot see it or is it just random ? <<<<

We are up to our necks with rules and regulation in Sg. It is well known internationally that Sg is becoming a nanny state among other things.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Nanny state?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 6:45 am

saturdaynitespecial wrote:It is well known internationally that Sg is becoming a nanny state among other things..

Wrong. Always has been would be the correct phrase.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 1:08 pm

saturdaynitespecial wrote:>>>On the stairs and escalators of the MRT/buildings people generally walk on the left or stand left - walk right but in the open spaces in a crowd it seems to be a free-for all with no discernible pattern. Is this like an ant colony and there is organization but I just cannot see it or is it just random ? <<<<

We are up to our necks with rules and regulation in Sg. It is well known internationally that Sg is becoming a nanny state among other things.

Are you by chance a member of this extended family Nakatago has mentioned?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 1:25 pm

saturdaynitespecial wrote:>>>On the stairs and escalators of the MRT/buildings people generally walk on the left or stand left - walk right but in the open spaces in a crowd it seems to be a free-for all with no discernible pattern. Is this like an ant colony and there is organization but I just cannot see it or is it just random ? <<<<

If the government has to impose norms, manners and etiquette, then that society has deeper issues than being a nanny state. I've criticized the SG gahmen for a lot of things but I empathize with them with how they have to have courtesy and graciousness campaigns. It's not just part of their jobs functions but alas, it seems that they have to do it.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 1:39 pm

And, if that's not bad enough, after 33 years of courtesy campaigns, there's been negligible changes....... :(

Which leads me to another conclusion......

Maybe it's a results of Leeky's social engineering experiments (smacks of germany in '39) and is the result of a genetic gene deficiency which causes them not to be able to either learn or be conditioned (as in Pavlov's response).

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 2:24 pm

It is partly a side effect of the social engineering. Not the incidental experiments, the main approach. I guess people have not gotten the chance to spontaneously evolve (courtesy is not a natural thing) within these 2 generations. They are told to this or that but they do it only if there is an imminent punishment for the failure. Hard to punish for not being courteous on a private ground so not surprisingly this whole campaign is rather futile. On the other hands not much else can be done (under the circumstances).

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 2:57 pm

While it might not be natural, it's funny, but the old folks who lived in the kampongs knew and practiced courtesy. So it might not be natural, but it was here before the advent of HDB. Could it be the general scrambling up of communities that have made everybody wary of everybody else that is the root cause of it today? I know my local family's elders and most everybody else that were around when I first got here in the early '80's were still very courteous from what I could observe. And certain courtesies still remain today but they are little small things that go unnoticed but it's still there somewhat, like the removing of shoes before entering somebody's house. Some say that's cultural but I'm not so sure.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 3:00 pm

x9200 wrote:It is partly a side effect of the social engineering. Not the incidental experiments, the main approach. I guess people have not gotten the chance to spontaneously evolve (courtesy is not a natural thing) within these 2 generations. They are told to this or that but they do it only if there is an imminent punishment for the failure. Hard to punish for not being courteous on a private ground so not surprisingly this whole campaign is rather futile. On the other hands not much else can be done (under the circumstances).

+1

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 3:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:While it might not be natural, it's funny, but the old folks who lived in the kampongs knew and practiced courtesy. So it might not be natural, but it was here before the advent of HDB. Could it be the general scrambling up of communities that have made everybody wary of everybody else that is the root cause of it today?

Could be well I think or at least contributing. Yet another is probably the very stressful environment (I think Singaporeans tend to explain it this way - explains some part but not everything IMO).
And I have exactly the same experience with the old people. Maybe they live their lives on a slower pace, do not need to compete with anyone or show the world how successful they are?
Likely a mixture of many things.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 3:35 pm

x9200 wrote:. Yet another is probably the very stressful environment (I think Singaporeans tend to explain it this way - explains some part but not everything IMO).

I never find the environment in SG stressful, well, apart from the rude people!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 3:53 pm

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:. Yet another is probably the very stressful environment (I think Singaporeans tend to explain it this way - explains some part but not everything IMO).

Agreed, Singapore life is pretty easy, life in London is much more stressful what with the higher-paced work (in banking anyway, can't comment on anything else), crappy weather and equally crappy public transport

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 3:59 pm

JR8 wrote:

Me neither, but we are not the Singaporeans, are we? Are we close to a heart attack just because we need to talk to our boss or think he may think that we may think critical about him? :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:55 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:

Me neither, but we are not the Singaporeans, are we? Are we close to a heart attack just because we need to talk to our boss or think he may think that we may think critical about him? :)

LOL :lol: