Singapore Expats Forum

Minor Annoyances

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 4:52 pm

prkravi wrote:The first few days anywhere is bound to be different cmon.

Give it a try there are many who love this place for what it is...
I'd like to see how you feel after say 5 months? Thats the time it takes i feel to sink in.

Wait till you been here almost 30 years, it changes back again to how you felt when you first arrived! 8-[

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 5:05 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:People here keep to the left on stairs and escalators, the right are for people to overtake (in a hurry).
But this will only happen on stairs and escalators

This is so not true, people stand anywhere the signs telling them to stand on the left may as well not exist

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 5:09 pm

As one who, via MRT, traverses the entire island 2x every day, transferring 3x in the process each way, I can totally vouch for that!

You can always tell who has their own transport! :lol:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 5:13 pm

JayCee wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:People here keep to the left on stairs and escalators, the right are for people to overtake (in a hurry).

This is so not true, people stand anywhere the signs telling them to stand on the left may as well not exist

I concur! And to add, even if you're walking following a straight line at a leisurely pace, someone will inevitably run into you--and that's with eye contact.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Minor Annoyances

Postby poodlek » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 5:22 pm

Skeeter01 wrote:Okay so I have been here 5 days and I am just getting to know my way around and I have immediately noticed several things

On the stairs and escalators of the MRT/buildings people generally walk on the left or stand left - walk right but in the open spaces in a crowd it seems to be a free-for all with no discernible pattern. Is this like an ant colony and there is organization but I just cannot see it or is it just random ?
Random, as far as I can tell. The idea is to get there first, never mind if it obstructs the "flow".

Personal space when standing or walking seems to be alot closer than I am used to. I am bumping people on the MRT/sidewalk everyday.

I used to think that everyone here was just ignorant and wanted to hog the sidewalks, now I just think they don't really care if they bump into you. Even if I hit someone quite hard, they don't bother to even look up from their iPhone to see who they hit.

In London or NY people seem to walk fast on the sidewalks here they walk painfully slow. I am constantly running up the back of people.

Yep.

If I am in the MRT looking at a map, someone will come up and stand right in front of me. If I was back home I would just push them out of the way - if it happened at all.

This happened to me several times when I was at the Shanghai Expo. My solution was to just move between him/her and the map, even if it meant I practically had my nose pressed up against it :-D

At buildings/malls there are taxi ques. If I don't stand in the exact proper spot people will assume that I am just a moron standing around because its fun and get in a cab in front of me.
\\\
Gotta learn to be quite vigilant and stake your place in the queues. People don't wait long to take advantage, or rarely ask "are you in queue?"

...You'll get used to it here and adapt pretty quickly. It is what it is :-D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 5:27 pm

beppi wrote:I had very similar feelings every time I relocated to a new country (and that has been many times!).
Fact is, there are changes and different habits and human nature seems to see the negative in some of this more than the positive, as a previous poster already pointed out.
The key is to learn to see it as different, not worse.

So when someone shamelessly queue jumps in front of you you are meant to consider that 'different, not worse?'. Sorry I cannot agree with that, and indeed the government have run the Courtesy Campaign for 30 years to try and stamp out such 'differences'. If the government does not accept such 'differences', why should foreigners?

Why should the whole world have the same preferences as you? For all you know, maybe the others see you as rude for some of the things you do as "normal"!

Examples?

In addition, please make a trip to India - you'll never complain about the lack of personal distance again - while here there's usually still a gap between people, there it's always body contact!

But Singapore prides itself on being the Switzerland of Asia, rather than India. So I have difficulty seeing validity in the comparison.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Postby prkravi » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 5:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Wait till you been here almost 30 years, it changes back again to how you felt when you first arrived! 8-[

Dynamic aint it?

vozzie
Regular
Regular

Postby vozzie » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 9:01 am

I've been here a year now. As part of my work, I help people deal with stress, and a lot of that stress is in relation to adjusting to a new country.

BUT, I still haven't been able to "heal myself" in regards to my issues with:
    *Being inside a pinball machine (walking on the sidewalk) :???:
    *Flattening my nose (when people stop at the top of escalators in front of me)
    *Tripping over (as someone stops on the sidewalk in front of me)
    *Being knocked over as I disembark the MRT (as women charge into the MRT, madly scanning for a seat)

But, I'm working on it ....
And, it is balanced by the good things ....

Brah
Manager
Manager

Postby Brah » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 4:49 pm

What he said, and JR8

SMS, maybe you should give this OP that list, it's all covered and then some

JayCee wrote:

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:11 am

poodlek wrote:
Skeeter01 wrote:In London or NY people seem to walk fast on the sidewalks here they walk painfully slow. I am constantly running up the back of people.

Yep.

I am guilty of walking slow. Only because I wear 4 or 5 inches heels that can make walking fast difficult. So Sorry.... walk around me or say excuse me!
Just me

DazzleBabe

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:22 am

dazzlebabe wrote:
poodlek wrote:
Skeeter01 wrote:In London or NY people seem to walk fast on the sidewalks here they walk painfully slow. I am constantly running up the back of people.

Yep.

I am guilty of walking slow. Only because I wear 4 or 5 inches heels that can make walking fast difficult. So Sorry.... walk around me or say excuse me!

One person walking slow is no problem, it's when they walk slowly five abreast that it gets annoying! And I've found "excuse me" often doesn't work here. Even "excuse me" + shoulder tapping sometimes doesn't work.

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:33 am

Poodlek: That day could have been the "five a breast" day, Try "BEEP BEEP" in the same tone as the roadrunner... i do

Dazzlebabe: 4-5 " heels? wow ... Some people walk fast and some slow....
if you are in a hurry, you will think that everyone is slow, and if you are in a relax mood, find that everyone is rushing....Think about it and there are no speed limit / speed traps on our walkways...

x9200

Postby x9200 » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:39 am

dazzlebabe wrote:
poodlek wrote:

Yep.

But then you probably not try to monopolize the whole width of the sidewalk with brownian-like movements, do you? And yes, you are not moving in packs.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:49 am

dazzlebabe wrote:
poodlek wrote:

Yep.

It's funny, but you can easily make the argument that very high heals, the kind tall enough to hinder your ability to walk the speed of the crowd, is a self-inflicted reinterpretation of the bound foot. Perhaps we haven't evolved as far as we think...

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby longstebe » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 1:05 pm

I get it, anyone who has 4-5 inch heels on has the right of way? Walk around ME or say excuse me.

Mmmmmm, what would I look like in a pair of heels? :wink: