Singapore Expats Forum

Fact or Fiction Regarding Obtain DP or PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kitsura

Fact or Fiction Regarding Obtain DP or PR

Postby kitsura » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:44 am

My fiancee is a foreigner and I'm deliberating on means to get her to Singapore. I heard from one of my colleagues that once a foreigner previously obtained an employment pass or student pass to enter Singapore it would be very difficult to get a DP or PR once married. Based on all your experiences how true is that? So would it be better to get married before bringing her to Singapore or does it really matter?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:11 pm

If she was here on a WP (work permit) not an EP (Employment or S Pass). She needs to get permission from MOM to marry any Singaporean. Without express permission given from MOM she will never get DP/LTVP/PR. Student pass I have not idea on but it still might be difficult if ICA views the new marriage as a marriage of convenience. If she is clear with MOM, no reason why she cannot get married here in Singapore but if she is from another Asean country, be prepared to possibly have to wait.