Singapore Expats

Citizenship rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
chichi14

Citizenship rejected

Post by chichi14 » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:34 am

I received a reply from ICA, after 9 months stating that my citizenship applicatuon is not succesful. I need your opinion, if any, regarding my case ( just wanna get enlightened a bit)

Im under spousal sponsorship. Husband income abt 80k annually.
Married for 3 years
PR for almost 3 years
Son is a Singapore Citizen
HDB flat owner ( cpf loan )
Worked under SIA for a year and half, now in retail field
No criminal record
Paid tax and been contributing fair amount of cpf
Diploma holder only

Just to give u more info abt me-
Met my Singapore-citizen born husband in my country where he used to work for some MNC
We got married in Singapore by ROM followed by pregnancy after barely a year
He's chinese

I am honestly disappointed right now cos i dont know what could go wrong given my current state is pretty much stable. Hope i can get decent replies here, i just wanna hear your matured views regarding my situation.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 5:43 am

I sympathise with you but you should be thankful that you are a PR when you got married to him. In some cases, the spouse did not even manage to attain an LTSVP.
Try after another two years. PR guideline and SG citizenship is totally two different set of criteria.
Citizenship by invitation would be ideal but thru application route needs more "staying power"
Relax, do not be too overly upset. Be grateful of your current situation as others are in worse and precarious situation even just to just to get married. They have to bent backwards just to get ROM in Singapore.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:45 am

Citizenship is not normally give after so little time in Singapore, without having the invitation to apply. Some Countries put PR time limits before being eligible for example Denmark used to be 7 years. I would think Singapore are more choosy in the selection process. Though first you have to meet there criteria, which you clearly don't after so little time in Singapore. Keep smiling there may come a time when they force you to take citizenship or lose your PR status.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:01 am

Your Son is already a Singapore Citizen, you are already paying tax and CPF, no additional benefit to the Gahmen by granting your Citizenship. Might sound harsh but probably true

chichi14

Post by chichi14 » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 5:01 pm

Mad Scientist- I agree with you. PR status isnt also that easy to obtain so I should be thankful. Part of me is just a little worried of holding just a PR status, it isnt as stable as being a Citizen. After 5 yrs, what? Not that I dont really feel secure, just that you know? My life is here, my husband and son. Can't imagine myself anywhere else. Thanks for your view regarding this, really appreciate.

KSL- Yes, it is slowly sinking in. Maybe it was just too early for me to apply. Just being silly here, their website should say "strictly by invitation only" rather than you may apply after 2 years of PR lol. Thanks for your reply, appreciated!

Saint- Haha, you have a point there! Its not harsh, maybe thats just how practicality works for them. Family ties or contributing a little to booze up the low birth rate don't really matter to them at all hehehe! Thanks for your reply.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 3:09 am

chichi14 wrote:Part of me is just a little worried of holding just a PR status, it isnt as stable as being a Citizen. After 5 yrs, what? Not that I dont really feel secure, just that you know? My life is here, my husband and son. Can't imagine myself anywhere else. Thanks for your view regarding this, really appreciate.
I can understand your concern. The Gahmen targetted those that likes to have alot of PR status in many countries to fallback in case the PR status country is not going or doing well in its economy, these poeple will scoot, hence the word quitters came to light.
If you have been living in SG and continues to live there as what Saint has said, your PR REP will be renewed after 5 years with no issues at all.
You need to stay in SG for the last 3 yrs of your PR validity and paying taxes in SG in order to get it renewed. These are some of the conditions laid before you by ICA.
Hence you have no issued at all on renewal of PR REP. So..... relax .... do not be too worried about issues that has no ground to be worried about.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!