Scolding in the offices of western Europe

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Brah » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 4:19 pm

Exactly.

And you're.

User avatar
longstebe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by longstebe » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 4:48 pm

Brah wrote:Exactly.

And you're.
A janitor.

anneteoh

Re: Scolding in the offices of western Europe

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 3:02 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
IOP wrote:I work with British and Aussies in the office, and it's high pressure on my ears, because they scolding too much.
So nice looking guys with so bad words in their mouth.
And they tell us they are here to show us what culture and good breeding is :lol:
WIMH, I rather liked the old image but if you're the same person, what's the difference.
The 'better than thou' is mega, which is why it constantly needs to justify its existence in SG. It can kill good discussions, but really, you shouldn't be so 'pi say' - there's always room for better understanding all round lah.

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 9:58 am

QRM wrote:If the OP was saying scolding as in swearing then thats happens all the time, every third word from a contractor in the UK is a swear word.

Depend on which part of the word, I find the American very intolerant of swearing, a chum working on one of the big banks in NY was pulled into HR and given a formal warning. A passenger in the office lift overheard his conversation where he describe a another college as a cnut.

I was pulled on a US forum for using the word "retard"! should be mentally challenged or a person with learning difficulties, ha the big irony I was actually calling myself a retard in the post.

No wonder alot of Amercians all got upset with Ricky Gervas stint as MC.
There are certain words that are 10x more offensive to north Americans than to British, the c-word being one of them. It's considered probably to be the most coarse and offensive word a person could utter, aside from racial epithets, so I'm not surprised your co-worker was called out for using it in reference to a colleague. Your co-worker could probably have used the word 'f@cktard' to better effect, I'm guessing, than the other. I believe there may be comparable words used in Britain that don't have the same punch in the USA, like bugger, for instance. In USA it generally means a pest, without any sexual connotations.

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:07 am

Yes, exactly so poodlek. This is exactly why offensive language is frowned upon and discouraged in most business settings, especially an international one such as Singapore. Different words have different meanings for different cultures, and no one can understand them all. Better to avoid them and get on with your work rather than risk disrupting everyone's productivity by offending those around you.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:33 am

poodlek wrote:
QRM wrote:If the OP was saying scolding as in swearing then thats happens all the time, every third word from a contractor in the UK is a swear word.

Depend on which part of the word, I find the American very intolerant of swearing, a chum working on one of the big banks in NY was pulled into HR and given a formal warning. A passenger in the office lift overheard his conversation where he describe a another college as a cnut.

I was pulled on a US forum for using the word "retard"! should be mentally challenged or a person with learning difficulties, ha the big irony I was actually calling myself a retard in the post.

No wonder alot of Amercians all got upset with Ricky Gervas stint as MC.
There are certain words that are 10x more offensive to north Americans than to British, the c-word being one of them. It's considered probably to be the most coarse and offensive word a person could utter, aside from racial epithets, so I'm not surprised your co-worker was called out for using it in reference to a colleague. Your co-worker could probably have used the word 'f@cktard' to better effect, I'm guessing, than the other. I believe there may be comparable words used in Britain that don't have the same punch in the USA, like bugger, for instance. In USA it generally means a pest, without any sexual connotations.
I assure that if you call someone c**t in the UK you are likely to get into a lot of trouble. Although it does depend on the context and the setting, if you called one of your mates a c**t in the pub, then its not gonna be an issue.

Bugger means nothing to anyone anymore, its not offensive to anybody as far as I am aware despite its meaning.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
longstebe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by longstebe » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:48 pm

How would you feel if I told you that you look like the sole of my foot?
I pissed myself laughing when heard this so called insult.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 7:39 pm
Location: East Coast, Singapore

Post by snowqueen » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 7:22 pm

longstebe wrote:How would you feel if I told you that you look like the sole of my foot?
I pissed myself laughing when heard this so called insult.


:D Hahahahaha

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Brah » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 9:37 pm

it was a correction not a question

but interesting to know nonetheless
longstebe wrote:
Brah wrote:Exactly.

And you're.
A janitor.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 9:41 pm

Brah wrote:it was a correction not a question

but interesting to know nonetheless
longstebe wrote:
Brah wrote:Exactly.

And you're.
A janitor.
Ooh! Hark at her!

I thoughtful it a delightful witty and self-deprecating riposte.

But then you are a yank so you wouldn't have got it...


:wink: 8-)

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests