Singapore Expats

Scolding in the offices of western Europe

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 4:19 pm

Exactly.

And you're.

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 4:48 pm

Brah wrote:Exactly.

And you're.
A janitor.

anneteoh

Re: Scolding in the offices of western Europe

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 3:02 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
IOP wrote:I work with British and Aussies in the office, and it's high pressure on my ears, because they scolding too much.
So nice looking guys with so bad words in their mouth.
And they tell us they are here to show us what culture and good breeding is :lol:
WIMH, I rather liked the old image but if you're the same person, what's the difference.
The 'better than thou' is mega, which is why it constantly needs to justify its existence in SG. It can kill good discussions, but really, you shouldn't be so 'pi say' - there's always room for better understanding all round lah.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 9:58 am

QRM wrote:If the OP was saying scolding as in swearing then thats happens all the time, every third word from a contractor in the UK is a swear word.

Depend on which part of the word, I find the American very intolerant of swearing, a chum working on one of the big banks in NY was pulled into HR and given a formal warning. A passenger in the office lift overheard his conversation where he describe a another college as a cnut.

I was pulled on a US forum for using the word "retard"! should be mentally challenged or a person with learning difficulties, ha the big irony I was actually calling myself a retard in the post.

No wonder alot of Amercians all got upset with Ricky Gervas stint as MC.
There are certain words that are 10x more offensive to north Americans than to British, the c-word being one of them. It's considered probably to be the most coarse and offensive word a person could utter, aside from racial epithets, so I'm not surprised your co-worker was called out for using it in reference to a colleague. Your co-worker could probably have used the word 'f@cktard' to better effect, I'm guessing, than the other. I believe there may be comparable words used in Britain that don't have the same punch in the USA, like bugger, for instance. In USA it generally means a pest, without any sexual connotations.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:07 am

Yes, exactly so poodlek. This is exactly why offensive language is frowned upon and discouraged in most business settings, especially an international one such as Singapore. Different words have different meanings for different cultures, and no one can understand them all. Better to avoid them and get on with your work rather than risk disrupting everyone's productivity by offending those around you.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:33 am

poodlek wrote:
QRM wrote:If the OP was saying scolding as in swearing then thats happens all the time, every third word from a contractor in the UK is a swear word.

Depend on which part of the word, I find the American very intolerant of swearing, a chum working on one of the big banks in NY was pulled into HR and given a formal warning. A passenger in the office lift overheard his conversation where he describe a another college as a cnut.

I was pulled on a US forum for using the word "retard"! should be mentally challenged or a person with learning difficulties, ha the big irony I was actually calling myself a retard in the post.

No wonder alot of Amercians all got upset with Ricky Gervas stint as MC.
There are certain words that are 10x more offensive to north Americans than to British, the c-word being one of them. It's considered probably to be the most coarse and offensive word a person could utter, aside from racial epithets, so I'm not surprised your co-worker was called out for using it in reference to a colleague. Your co-worker could probably have used the word 'f@cktard' to better effect, I'm guessing, than the other. I believe there may be comparable words used in Britain that don't have the same punch in the USA, like bugger, for instance. In USA it generally means a pest, without any sexual connotations.
I assure that if you call someone c**t in the UK you are likely to get into a lot of trouble. Although it does depend on the context and the setting, if you called one of your mates a c**t in the pub, then its not gonna be an issue.

Bugger means nothing to anyone anymore, its not offensive to anybody as far as I am aware despite its meaning.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:48 pm

How would you feel if I told you that you look like the sole of my foot?
I pissed myself laughing when heard this so called insult.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 7:22 pm

longstebe wrote:How would you feel if I told you that you look like the sole of my foot?
I pissed myself laughing when heard this so called insult.

:D Hahahahaha

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 9:37 pm

it was a correction not a question

but interesting to know nonetheless
longstebe wrote:

And you're.
A janitor.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 24 Jan 2011 9:41 pm

Brah wrote:it was a correction not a question

but interesting to know nonetheless
longstebe wrote:

And you're.
A janitor.
Ooh! Hark at her!

I thoughtful it a delightful witty and self-deprecating riposte.

But then you are a yank so you wouldn't have got it...

:wink: 8-)