Singapore Expats

has anyone filed a complaint against landlord to HDB?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
stardusttt

has anyone filed a complaint against landlord to HDB?

Post by stardusttt » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:31 pm

I rented a room eleven months ago, and my landlord operates a home salon in one of the extra rooms in her flat. This was not made known to be when signing the LOI, and I feel somewhat cheated. But I tolerated anyway, thinking that she was just trying to earn a honest living

Two days ago I told my landlord that I will be moving out ( I gave two months notice, instead of one as stated on contract - thought I'd be a little kind ) and she said that I would have to pay for damages for wear and tear for her furniture with my safety deposit. I find it rather unreasonable of her to do this since it has only been eleven months.

I am considering filing a complaint to HDB on the grounds of her operating a salon at home ( and probably not registering with HDB that she has subletted ) and I'm not really sure of the procedures. Anyone who has done this before?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 9:12 am

Fair wear and tear cannot be deducted from a deposit! Take her to small claims court if she doesn't pay the deposit back. it is very cheap to get this sorted. Though damage must be paid for, it is very easy to see the difference between fair wear and tear and damage.

Put her straight that you intend to take her to the small claims court if she doesn't repay the deposit, and you will also report her to HDB, for running an illegal business. So how does she want to play?