Singapore Expats Forum

Chances of PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Newbie123

Chances of PR?

Postby Newbie123 » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:02 am

I am a Singaporean, earning a reasonably decent income now with a reputable company (more than $100K). My boyfriend is a French, who has been working in Singapore for 4 years with a reputable company as well (more than $200K). He has 2 degrees & 1 Masters in Law and we plan to get married either end of this year/early next year, and buy a property early next year.

Which of the option offers the highest chance of him securing a PR?
1) Applying after we get married? If we are married, does it really bring up his odds significantly? If yes, how much more?
2) Applying after we buy a property in SG? Personally, I prefer for him to get a PR before we buy a property and commit to a long term mortgage loan.
3) Applying after General Election is over? This seem to be the best options but nobody knows when is the GE, so it can be a long wait.

He don't respond well to rejection, so he is only keen to apply when he knows his chance is very high.

The reason I am asking this, even though on the surface, he looks like have a good chance is, I know Germans (here with families) who applied for PR and they did not get the PR. At the same time, his Indian colleagues applied and they received PR. The way this whole PR thing works, don't make much sense to both of us.

The reason for him applying PR (shocking as it sound!) is to stay in Singapore permanently. Not to change job or other reasons. If he get a PR, then we will buy a property to stay. However, if he is unsuccesful in getting a PR, then we will relocate to another country.

I know that nobody can give a definite answer but I would like to know the trend of of the people getting PR recently.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:18 am

Have you read any of the threads here? Did you read the newpaper this morning? The number of PR's given last year was less than half of the number given the year before. You have to application methods. One based on the Professional/Technical Scheme and the other based on family ties (yourself). As he is highly educated (as are you) you will probably not have a problem as the government needs to beef up the gene pool. However, they will also probably weigh the likelihood of him taking up citizenship and that could have a bearing on the outcome. As for quantifying your chances, there is no way that anybody can do that at the moment. Even in the best of times (pre-Sept 2009) it was hard enough but would have had to say it would have been a shoe-in then. Now? The multiple degrees, the local ties and the probability of having genetically superior children might swing it your way. Of course, if you don't have any children while he's PR, he might find himself high & dry on application for Citizenship as it might seem that there will be nothing in it for the gahmen/country. We are only guessing. :-|

Oh, the carrot & stick approach only works for the Government. You probably need to invest here first to show good faith rather than the reverse. :wink:

hellind

Re: Chances of PR?

Postby hellind » Wed, 02 Feb 2011 2:35 pm

Newbie123 wrote:I am a Singaporean, earning a reasonably decent income now with a reputable company (more than $100K). My boyfriend is a French, who has been working in Singapore for 4 years with a reputable company as well (more than $200K). He has 2 degrees & 1 Masters in Law and we plan to get married either end of this year/early next year, and buy a property early next year.

Which of the option offers the highest chance of him securing a PR?
1) Applying after we get married? If we are married, does it really bring up his odds significantly? If yes, how much more?
2) Applying after we buy a property in SG? Personally, I prefer for him to get a PR before we buy a property and commit to a long term mortgage loan.
3) Applying after General Election is over? This seem to be the best options but nobody knows when is the GE, so it can be a long wait.

He don't respond well to rejection, so he is only keen to apply when he knows his chance is very high.

The reason I am asking this, even though on the surface, he looks like have a good chance is, I know Germans (here with families) who applied for PR and they did not get the PR. At the same time, his Indian colleagues applied and they received PR. The way this whole PR thing works, don't make much sense to both of us.

The reason for him applying PR (shocking as it sound!) is to stay in Singapore permanently. Not to change job or other reasons. If he get a PR, then we will buy a property to stay. However, if he is unsuccessful in getting a PR, then we will relocate to another country.

I know that nobody can give a definite answer but I would like to know the trend of of the people getting PR recently.

I would be interested in a comparison between the German and the Indian. What stood out between them? I wonder if ICA has a scoring model that look at numerous factors.

Personally, I would think buying a property would help. Since my parents PR got rejected, we plan to buy a property under their names.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Chances of PR?

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 02 Feb 2011 3:31 pm

Newbie123 wrote:1) Applying after we get married? If we are married, does it really bring up his odds significantly? If yes, how much more?
Yes take a guess

PR approval does not equate to you a given right by the Gahmen. From Gahmen POV, Do you really want the PR or NOT? It is not the other way around

Yes the best option. Not really a long wait. A few more months to go

Who does ? Hmmm ???

This Indian colleagues applied and they received PR. The way this whole PR thing works, don't make much sense to both of us.

There are alot of Caucasian that abuse the system before hence this tightening of rules

The reason for him applying PR (shocking as it sound!) is to stay in Singapore permanently. Not to change job or other reasons. If he get a PR, then we will buy a property to stay. However, if he is unsuccesful in getting a PR, then we will relocate to another country.

Gahmen holds the carrot and stick , unlike other countries where they are open on the PR application and advise you steps to take to improve your approval , SG ICA does not do that. Everything is close to their chest. So take a gamble , life is full of it

I know that nobody can give a definite answer but I would like to
know the trend of of the people getting PR recently.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Feb 2011 3:34 pm

As Singapore's demographics, e.g., racial makeup, is controlled by immigration because Singaporean won't make babies, they tightly control how many of each race they let have PR every year. Unfortunately, in the past 5-7 years, they have also needed large quantities of IT personnel and India is more than capable of providing same, so they let in way more than the demographics could handle. Now, they are overloaded, percentage wise, with Indian EP holder's and PR's, so applications for PR's are particularly stringent for Indians at the moment as they are trying to slow down the increase in that segment of the population and they are also trying to appease the local voters who think foreigners are taking their jobs. As the elections HAVE to be held within the next 12 months (before Feb 2012), we have seen the acceptance rate for Indian PR & citizenship fall into the cellar where we will probably continue to see it until some time after the election.

Apply if you want, but be prepared to be rejected. Don't feel it is necessarily something you can control as we don't know what criteria they are using now. We see some getting it, but it's damned few. Unless you handle rejection extremely well, I'd wait if I were you.

Buying property is partially what got foreigner into the mess in the first place, due mainly to foreigners getting PR and buying resale HDB flats at inflated prices, thereby increasing the prices for the locals as well. Greed will get you every time. Don't you think the gahmen can see what you are doing? Do you think they are fools? Cause if you do, you are in the wrong country. This country didn't get where it is today by being foolish.