Singapore Expats Forum

Boyfriend is on student visa. I am a Singaporean.

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

Teatree
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 15 Jan 2011

Postby Teatree » Sat, 05 Feb 2011 4:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Teatree, I hate to have to be the one to tell you, but your leaves have wilted. A fresh graduate foreigner is not going to get a job under the current scenario with MOM as there will be sufficient Local/PR to do the same job (with no experience) therefore, MOM will not approve fresh foreign graduates. In the past, yeah, possibly. Today? Nyet! Nada, No.
Well, I'm a foreigner and fresh grad and I've just got my first job here. All of my friends who found a job here got the pass too. I don't know whether if it's because our skill is on demand or something. What I noticed is that if the company is big scale and really wants to hire you, they can get the pass for you.

I don't understand why you are so negative...

Before I confirmed on a job, I got very worried if I get the pass or not while reading people's posts on this forum. But in fact, it's nothing to really worry about. My application was even approved on the same day my hr applied. It was fast.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3475
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 05 Feb 2011 5:36 am

[quote="Teatree"[/quote] Well, I'm a foreigner and fresh grad and I've just got my first job here. All of my friends who found a job here got the pass too. I don't know whether if it's because our skill is on demand or something. What I noticed is that if the company is big scale and really wants to hire you, they can get the pass for you.

I don't understand why you are so negative...

Before I confirmed on a job, I got very worried if I get the pass or not while reading people's posts on this forum. But in fact, it's nothing to really worry about. My application was even approved on the same day my hr applied. It was fast.[/quote]


Alas, you have not read the papers nor have you feel the rumbling on the grounds. Many of those who got their passes would not have post it here , would they ? Alot more that were rejected for one reason or another came here to look for answers.
Yes, I agree if your skillset is in demand and your HR has enough quota for foreigners, it will be a breeze but that will be a gamble as nobody knows if your application is a success or not. Your employer may want to employ you but it is up to MOM to approve it
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Teatree
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 15 Jan 2011

Postby Teatree » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:02 am

Yeah. So you actually agree that fresh grads still have a chance.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35517
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Feb 2011 11:52 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Alas, you have not read the papers nor have you feel the rumbling on the grounds. Many of those who got their passes would not have post it here , would they ? Alot more that were rejected for one reason or another came here to look for answers.
Yes, I agree if your skillset is in demand and your HR has enough quota for foreigners, it will be a breeze but that will be a gamble as nobody knows if your application is a success or not. Your employer may want to employ you but it is up to MOM to approve it


As I said before, and MS basically said the same thing, the odds are against you. Nobody is saying it's impossible, just improbable.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Postby FaeLLe » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 4:51 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Teatree wrote: Well, I'm a foreigner and fresh grad and I've just got my first job here. All of my friends who found a job here got the pass too. I don't know whether if it's because our skill is on demand or something. What I noticed is that if the company is big scale and really wants to hire you, they can get the pass for you.

I don't understand why you are so negative...

Before I confirmed on a job, I got very worried if I get the pass or not while reading people's posts on this forum. But in fact, it's nothing to really worry about. My application was even approved on the same day my hr applied. It was fast.



Alas, you have not read the papers nor have you feel the rumbling on the grounds. Many of those who got their passes would not have post it here , would they ? Alot more that were rejected for one reason or another came here to look for answers.
Yes, I agree if your skillset is in demand and your HR has enough quota for foreigners, it will be a breeze but that will be a gamble as nobody knows if your application is a success or not. Your employer may want to employ you but it is up to MOM to approve it


Hi SMS,

I agree with your point of view but I must give you a perspective from my firm, an MNC that I am currently employed with.

It doesnt seem to be problem for this firm to be hiring fresh graduates (not SG educated), recruit them from India and bring them to work here on EP P2's.

They have hired several such people over the past few months.
Indeed the quota must be vast because we hire quite a lot of locals as well.

But the point of view of MOM tightening up just seems to be something that is not truly reflecting for anything but small firms.

Teatree
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 15 Jan 2011

Postby Teatree » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 5:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
Alas, you have not read the papers nor have you feel the rumbling on the grounds. Many of those who got their passes would not have post it here , would they ? Alot more that were rejected for one reason or another came here to look for answers.
Yes, I agree if your skillset is in demand and your HR has enough quota for foreigners, it will be a breeze but that will be a gamble as nobody knows if your application is a success or not. Your employer may want to employ you but it is up to MOM to approve it


As I said before, and MS basically said the same thing, the odds are against you. Nobody is saying it's impossible, just improbable.
Oh really? What happened to "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" "Nyet! Nada, No."?

Teatree
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 15 Jan 2011

Postby Teatree » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 5:54 am

FaeLLe wrote:But the point of view of MOM tightening up just seems to be something that is not truly reflecting for anything but small firms.
I agree. My company is a MNC too.

User avatar
AstroGal
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 15 Feb 2011

Postby AstroGal » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 7:53 pm

Dunno, would be hard.

I was in the same boat as you almost a decade ago.

Singapore is a dog eat dog place. You can't fight for survival and come out alive, no one really gives a crap, or rather, no one really would feel very sorry for you or be able to help much.

Ended up settling in another country together with my partner and getting married there after he finished his studies in Singapore.
We were young and wet behind the ears back then so weren't competitive/smart enough to be able to get him any work.

Lots of potential scammers happy to cash in on a desperate couple who wants to stay together though, so be careful on too-good-to-be-true offers of middlemen who will do XXX for you in return for upfront payment.

Best bet is to get him to try his best to find a job. Don't be desperate, people smell desperation a mile away. Try to create a contingency plan just in case.

If you two really are in it for the long run, you will find a way to stay together, even if it means having to sacrifice a little.

Look at me, 3rd finger to the Gahmen, but at the same time appreciation for making me tough as nails, independent and well traveled. :)
-- AstroGal

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35517
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 9:14 pm

Teatree wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
As I said before, and MS basically said the same thing, the odds are against you. Nobody is saying it's impossible, just improbable.
Oh really? What happened to "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" "Nyet! Nada, No."?


Last time I checked Highly Unlikely and improbable meant the same thing near enough. I am curious though, as to where are you from, your credentials and what type of pass are you are on.

Additionally, do you think, after reading of all the rejections on this board, we would be doing a service telling all and sundry that getting an EP is a cakewalk and they've got absolutely nothing to worry about? We wouldn't have too much credibility would we. People don't hold it against you if your are wrong and the outcome is good, but if you promise them the moon, and the results are crap?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3475
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 16 Feb 2011 8:03 am

Teatree wrote:
sms wrote:
As I said before, and MS basically said the same thing, the odds are against you. Nobody is saying it's impossible, just improbable.
Oh really? What happened to "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" "Nyet! Nada, No."?


TEATREE ; I am not mad at what you said nor upset, you have a point too BUT the rate of rejection is more than the rate of approval. I hazard to guess maybe about 70% even with renewal itself.

You are the lucky few but you are the exception rather than the norm at this present time. If we , the regulars, whom are alway here to help , paint a picturesque view of the current employment as what you said and turned out it is NOT true, alas this forum will not hold any water at all.
We tried our best to tell them what we know as close to the current climate as possible.
The regulars here have alot of contacts to tell you what is the TRUTH nothing but the Truth.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests