Singapore Expats

NS confused

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
maraniki

NS confused

Post by maraniki » Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:33 am

This post may be confusing but bear with me.

I was born in Singapore 1991 and had dual passports (Japan and Singapore), but moved to Australia in 1992. My father is Singaporean but my mother is not. Since then i traveled to Singapore around once a year to visit family and friends then returned back to Australia, this stopped around 2000 due to my parents divorce, my father returned to Singapore and i remained in Australia with my mother. My Singaporean passport expired around 1997 (guessing). Since then i have been using my Japanese passport. I am and have been a Australian Permanent Resident since 1993.

Due to the lack of communication and knowledge of the laws in Singapore, i am very confused to whether i would be allowed to enter the country as i did not complete my national service as i was not a citizen of Singapore at the time (16.5 yrs of age).

If anymore information is needed i will provide it as my father is now sick and i would like to see him as soon as possible.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:49 am

If you never filed exit permits, have not done NS and are 20 years old, you will be classified as a deserter and possibly picked up at immigration. However, as you are traveling under a Japanese passport it's a possibility that you would be flying under the radar, but be prepared to have problems if they do a check as your dual parentage would be recorded in the birth records and the fact that there are probably not a lot of people with the same type of parentage of NS age and male who have NOT done NS, so it's a good possibility that your name would be on the "wanted" list. Read the various threads in the Strictly Speaking threads on NS for more details
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: NS confused

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 7:16 am

I just picked this up
maraniki wrote:This post may be confusing but bear with me.

I was born in Singapore 1991 and had dual passports (Japan and Singapore), but moved to Australia in 1992.

Japan and SG does NOT allow dual citizenship. Period. How did you managed to squeeze thru at both border control ? You are taking a gamble on this

My father is Singaporean but my mother is not. Since then i traveled to Singapore around once a year to visit family and friends then returned back to Australia, this stopped around 2000 due to my parents divorce, my father returned to Singapore and i remained in Australia with my mother. My Singaporean passport expired around 1997 (guessing). Since then i have been using my Japanese passport. I am and have been a Australian Permanent Resident since 1993.

How did you travel into SG and Japan ? Which PP did you use?

Due to the lack of communication and knowledge of the laws in Singapore, i am very confused to whether i would be allowed to enter the country as i did not complete my national service as i was not a citizen of Singapore at the time (16.5 yrs of age)

The law has change . It is now 13 yrs age guideline not 16.5 . I would be inclined to advise you to apply for OZ PP and travel with that while visiting SG. Make sure you drop all names linked to your DAD when applying for OZ Citizenship and PP. A deed poll will do the trick.
If you can do that, I would dare say you are scot free.
Or else even while travelling with Japanese PP, your DOB sticks out like a sore thumb as you are a dual citizen of both country and it has come to age for you to renounce one by the turn of 21.

If anymore information is needed i will provide it as my father is now sick and i would like to see him as soon as possible.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PhantomX

Re: NS confused

Post by PhantomX » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 7:32 pm

maraniki wrote:This post may be confusing but bear with me.

I was born in Singapore 1991 and had dual passports (Japan and Singapore), but moved to Australia in 1992. My father is Singaporean but my mother is not. Since then i traveled to Singapore around once a year to visit family and friends then returned back to Australia, this stopped around 2000 due to my parents divorce, my father returned to Singapore and i remained in Australia with my mother. My Singaporean passport expired around 1997 (guessing). Since then i have been using my Japanese passport. I am and have been a Australian Permanent Resident since 1993.

Due to the lack of communication and knowledge of the laws in Singapore, i am very confused to whether i would be allowed to enter the country as i did not complete my national service as i was not a citizen of Singapore at the time (16.5 yrs of age).

Technically you are liable whichever way you slice and dice it. Any measures you take of obviating NS just remember they are at best obviating measures. If at some point any of these measures develop cracks whilst you are at it then you will face the inevitable consequences of those who avoid NS.
The alternatives open to you re fail save measures at this point all revolve round avoiding passing through Singapore for the rest of your life.
How achievable or palatable that is to you is best known or discovered by yourself.
X

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:36 pm

As far as I know, one does NOT lose the citizenship because of an expired passport. You are thus still Singapore citizen and cannot renounce that before you are 21 years of age AND have done your NS duties.
I guess (MS might be able to confirm) if you contact CMPB now and tell them the whole story (and that it's due to your parents' ignorance - you had no choice in the matter!), together with your willingness to renounce your Japanese citizenship and come to do NS in Singapore as soon as possible, they might be lenient.
The alternative, as PhantomX pointed out above, is avoiding Singapore forever (or, as MS mentioned, becoming Australian with a different name).

maraniki

Post by maraniki » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks alot everyone i got something to think about now. Some ground work anyway.