Singapore Expats Forum

Enquiries for long term visa application! Advice Needed

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
xtrene123

Enquiries for long term visa application! Advice Needed

Postby xtrene123 » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:03 pm

Hi All,

I need some advice for my mother in law long term visa application. I am singaporean and my wife (PRC)is currently a PR. We have a 15mth old son and we try to apply long term visa for my mum in law. Visa rejected when my wife is the sponser, ICA allowed me to appeal and changed me to be the sponsor. I earn around 65k annually. My wife doesnt work. ICA asked me to write appeal explanation stating reason why my mum in law need to help to take care of my son and why my family memebers in singapore are unable to do so. I expain everything questions with valid reason, all family members working full time, maid is not hire as we do not feel safe for maid to care for son. We plan to have 2nd child and need mum in law to care for son and household. ICA took 2 mths and then reject without explanation. Does anyone have any advise. Thanks. We do not have any criminal records, finacially stable. Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:13 pm

It would appear that the fact that your wife is a housewife may be causing the problem. I'm not sure why they would reject though as you are a Singaporean and your wife is a PR so there is some problem somewhere, but I'm at a loss to say way.

xtrene123

Postby xtrene123 » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:10 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple,

Thanks for replying. I am confused too as to why the rejection. Is there any way that i can find out the reasons for the rejection. If my wife is a housewife is the reason, then in the first place ICA would have rejected my appeal instead of allowing me to become the sponsor and asking for the explanation letters. Thanks and appreciate any advise. Thanks...

tagheuer4

Postby tagheuer4 » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 5:21 pm

You are in the exact same situation as myself. I came across this post while googling and had to create an account to post.

My in-laws (PRC) are in Singapore right now and were unable to get the Long Term Social Visit pass the first time around. What I did was that I went to speak to the MP of my district and he sent an appeal letter to ICA for me.

However, it is not smooth sailing after that. They only approved my mother-in-law's pass but not my father-in-law's. I have tried appealing again, but received the rejection letter yesterday. Now I'm more or less stuck. Considering a visa run to JB, however, after reading some posts about it here, I'm worried about getting stuck at customs on the way back.

Since you are looking to only get the pass for your mother-in-law, try speaking to your MP and it should hopefully do the trick. Hope that I was of some help!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 6:10 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but does a foreigner getting PR essentially mean they then have a right to move their parents over to SG as well?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 6:27 pm

Actually, this is one of the latest pieces of criteria that ICA is using to determine rejections from what I've been given to understand. e.g., if you come from a large family, the gahmen aren't quite so willing to give you PR/citizenship if it means a large influx of maybe not-so-desirable siblings, inlaws, outlaws, etc. might be tagging along......

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 6:27 pm

JR8 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but does a foreigner getting PR essentially mean they then have a right to move their parents over to SG as well?

Surely not a right. A request that might be granted

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 6:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, this is one of the latest pieces of criteria that ICA is using to determine rejections from what I've been given to understand. e.g., if you come from a large family, the gahmen aren't quite so willing to give you PR/citizenship if it means a large influx of maybe not-so-desirable siblings, inlaws, outlaws, etc. might be tagging along......

On the face of it I'd have imagined it would be everyone on their own merits, rather than one child has won the lottery (got PR) and now the whole clan are all moving to SG.

I can understand having an in-law over for a few months to help with a new baby - if mum works. But I'm surprised the rather apparent 'move the family in' is tolerated at all...

For example if you are a quitter on your PR or citizenship than there is no way back. But if you quit a foreign country and take PR ICA are saying, must be tough for you, here they can all come, despite them making no contribution to the economy... ?

hmmm confused, and surprising.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 9:23 pm

As I said, it's basically hearsay as I don't have any anecdotal evidence one way or the other. But when a lot other other stuff isn't making any rhyme nor reason, who knows. I won't discount it. :-|

tagheuer4

Postby tagheuer4 » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:39 pm

JR8 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but does a foreigner getting PR essentially mean they then have a right to move their parents over to SG as well?

I think our (mine and threadstarter's) aim is not to move the whole clan over so to speak. It is more to provide adequate care for our child without having to hire outside help, thus avoiding the problems that come along with it.

With both my wife and myself working, and my kid only 3 months old, we would prefer to have someone we trust. So unfortunately the gahmen is not really that pro-family, and there they are wondering why the birth rate is so low...

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:51 pm

tagheuer4 wrote:

I think our (mine and threadstarter's) aim is not to move the whole clan over so to speak. It is more to provide adequate care for our child without having to hire outside help, thus avoiding the problems that come along with it.

With both my wife and myself working, and my kid only 3 months old, we would prefer to have someone we trust. So unfortunately the gahmen is not really that pro-family, and there they are wondering why the birth rate is so low...

I am not speaking -ve. Should you be happy that they supported you by approving one LTSVP (mother in law) to support your child?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:34 am

PR's are not allowed to move their parents over to Singapore without fulfilling strict criteria.

They can qualify for STVP only, if the sponsors can fulfill the criteria which is not easy.

To get LTVSP is rare. The only ones with LTVSP that i know of are divorced families, and the mother is working full time, then maybe they will allow one parent on a LTVSP, only if she is earning enough to support them too.
If the parents are of retirement age, they will let both in on LTVSP if the spouse is divorced, though the sponsor is liable for all costs.

I don't see the OP having much chance at all for LTVSP, they may allow two parents to come on STVP if they can support them. The rules are on ICA though i don't know if they have changed.

You will have to do what everyone else does, hire a maid, you do not qualify for preferential treatment on the grounds your wife is expecting or giving birth. LTVSP is a no no for sure that is from how I see it, from other families experience and my own.
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 3:39 am

ksl wrote:PR's are not allowed to move their parents over to Singapore without fulfilling strict criteria.

They can qualify for STVP only, if the sponsors can fulfill the criteria which is not easy.

KSL; PR or Sger can apply for LTSVP for parents and yes , if you are divorce, you will need to support that document too.
Both parents can apply for LTSVP

http://ltpass.ica.gov.sg/eltsvp/FAQ.html

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=175&secid=171.

I hazard to guess it is not on your mean income as the link showed all the criterias needed. However this is what I can think of why it is rejected
1. Your documents was not filled in properly i.e there are some with gaps in it
2. When your wife apply for PR, she did not include her parents names as future applicants of passes.

Another way to do it if you have the dough is to apply on their own if they are above 45
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=238&secid=171
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!