Singapore Expats

Maid speaks poor english to baby

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 9:45 pm

We, Filipinos, don't exactly have the best diction either.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 4:20 pm

Calmday wrote:We had to stop letting our two year old watch Cbeebies because he was starting to say some words with that annoying English accent.
Love it.

Tsilivi
Regular
Regular

Post by Tsilivi » Tue, 10 May 2011 11:01 am

As if maids don't have enough to do. Send your maid to an English class. It doesn't have to be the most expensive place. I'm sure if you post here you can find other families wanting to develop their maids English skills. If you get a small group together it won't be so expensive. Developing your staff=happy staff.

bsharman

Post by bsharman » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:57 pm

I think the child will figure it out. But consider asking your maid to speak to your baby in her native tongue instead of English (or as well as). She will be more fluent in her native tongue and will speak it correctly (or at least as correctly as the average English speaker speaks English). I've heard advice from language experts that parents should be encouraged to speak their best/strongest language to the child rather than restricting themselves to the local language, same would go for other carers.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 3:32 am

bsharman wrote:I think the child will figure it out. But consider asking your maid to speak to your baby in her native tongue instead of English (or as well as). She will be more fluent in her native tongue and will speak it correctly (or at least as correctly as the average English speaker speaks English). I've heard advice from language experts that parents should be encouraged to speak their best/strongest language to the child rather than restricting themselves to the local language, same would go for other carers.
Do you realise that the post is about 7 months old ? All the posters have long gone !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:01 pm

bsharman wrote:I think the child will figure it out. But consider asking your maid to speak to your baby in her native tongue instead of English (or as well as). She will be more fluent in her native tongue and will speak it correctly (or at least as correctly as the average English speaker speaks English). I've heard advice from language experts that parents should be encouraged to speak their best/strongest language to the child rather than restricting themselves to the local language, same would go for other carers.
If it's a local employer of the maid, let the child learn the English from the maid as it's likely to be better than the abortion of a language called Singlish the baby's likely to learn from the parents here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 1:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
If it's a local employer of the maid, let the child learn the English from the maid as it's likely to be better than the abortion of a language called Singlish the baby's likely to learn from the parents here.
Funny thing: some maids may be former teachers but have found being domestic help in Singapore is actually more lucrative.

PS: where's maidinsingapore? judging from her blog, she spokening english gud.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 1:21 pm

nakatago wrote: Funny thing: some maids may be former teachers but have found being domestic help in Singapore is actually more lucrative.
My Nephew's wife (the nephew who is living with me along with his 3.5 y.o. daughter) is a good example as she was working here on a WP a number of years ago, doing something menial but she is a degree holder in the 'peens. In fact, she again teaching English in the 'peens until somehow we can hopefully get her here again so the family can be together. Singapore really knows how to show it's citizens that they care. My Nephew is a NS Man in one of the Guards Battalions and wants to have a family unit like everybody else, but the government thinks they know better than the citizens (well, the citizens are starting to speak up) and if they don't change, the rest of them might be out of power come the next election as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers