Singapore Expats

Applying for EP - Will I Get Approval?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
arvchira

Applying for EP - Will I Get Approval?

Post by arvchira » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 7:01 pm

Hello. My employer in Singapore is applying for EP for me for the marketing position with 3.6K salary. I graduated MBA from Vanderbilt University in USA and MA and BE of Economics from reputable university in Thailand. I have 3.7 years experience in marketing with FMCG MNC in Thailand with a year working in USA.

I submitted all academic certificates, a testimonial from my current employer, and current CV. Do you think I'll be likely to get EP approval?

I appreciate all feedbacks. Thank you!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 7:05 pm

It sounds like your qualifications (in particular the MBA in the US) and experience should definitely be enough for you to be approved, but as getting an EP is a double-edged sword it really comes down whether there are sufficient locals in your industry who could do the job and whether your new employer can convince MOM that they need to bring in a foreigner. Hopefully they have a good HR department who will do just this. Good luck

sand_ste

Re: Applying for EP - Will I Get Approval?

Post by sand_ste » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 8:44 pm

arvchira wrote:Hello. My employer in Singapore is applying for EP for me for the marketing position with 3.6K salary. I graduated MBA from Vanderbilt University in USA and MA and BE of Economics from reputable university in Thailand. I have 3.7 years experience in marketing with FMCG MNC in Thailand with a year working in USA.

I submitted all academic certificates, a testimonial from my current employer, and current CV. Do you think I'll be likely to get EP approval?

I appreciate all feedbacks. Thank you!
i dont think anyone can answer that, only God can answer that. While i do not have as much tertiary education like you, i believe my qualifications has been enough for me to get an s-pass. while im so positive that i will get it, MOM rejected my application upside down. and guess what? i gotta wait at least three weeks for the appeal process, and that itself is still subject to approval.

im starting to think that regular foreigners wont be given any chance to work here at all.. unless the MOM officer that reviews your application just bought an expensive car or even a condo... you might get a chance. no offence but as a potential worker that has been rejected twice with no sensible reason, anyone can get pretty imaginative.

i've been rejected for both EP and SP. trying to appeal for SP is my last resort, lets just see how it goes.

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:10 pm

sand_ste wrote: im starting to think that regular foreigners wont be given any chance to work here at all..
Absolutely. Logic dictates that the SG government would only let extraordinary foreigners in, not just regular ones. Foreigners that can/will do the jobs that the locals can't/won't.

There's no mystery here.
It's common sense - if you try to come in before I go out, I can't go out. And you can't come in! Lose-lose!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:17 am

sand_ste wrote:.. unless the MOM officer that reviews your application just bought an expensive car or even a condo...

Be very careful what you insinuate here....... :o

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sand_ste

Post by sand_ste » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 2:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
sand_ste wrote:.. unless the MOM officer that reviews your application just bought an expensive car or even a condo...

Be very careful what you insinuate here....... :o

i beg to differ, but i dont think that as insinuating.

well, maybe im abit harsh, but i dont think sending application while thinking of approval or rejection based on luck is fair. what i mean is: (in the most sensible manner of speaking)

subject to approval = subject to luck

luck = when the officer is happy. (prolly this chinese new year might get me some chance)

you know its true, i know its true.

proof:

- me and my friend graduated from same university, same degree, same date.

- my friend applied for a job which does not relate to his degree (some IT related job), with lower pay ($1900) and applied for S-Pass.

- I applied with NETS, taking a job which is similar to my degree, with higher pay ($2300) and applied for S-Pass.

-my friend got the pass immediately after 2 weeks, i am now waiting for appeal result for at least 3 weeks.

so i dont think my theory is wrong, do you?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 2:55 pm

You are not your friend. Your theory only works on clones.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

arvchira

Post by arvchira » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 3:30 pm

Well, thanks for all feedbacks.

To SMS, from your experience, do you think I have a chance?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 5:27 pm

In normal instances I would say yes. Currently, I just don't know. The odds are still in your favour though.

arvchira

Post by arvchira » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 6:14 pm

SMS, thank you for your answer. though there's an odd, it supports me mentally :-)

arvchira

Post by arvchira » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 2:00 pm

I already got approval last week. Thank you so much guys!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 2:16 pm

congratulations. :)

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 8:16 am

arvchira wrote:I already got approval last week. Thank you so much guys!
Congratulations and welcome to Singapore. Better not let sand_ste see this.
It's common sense - if you try to come in before I go out, I can't go out. And you can't come in! Lose-lose!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 8:47 am

:lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 1:11 pm

observer wrote: Congratulations and welcome to Singapore. Better not let sand_ste see this.
Yah boy- Sand_ste feels the Govt owes him an explanation - I wonder if that is the case back from where he comes from and if so, why he is smoked up over Singapore :D :D