Singapore Expats Forum

Another Criminal Record Situation (Yes I already searched!)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
rezss

Another Criminal Record Situation (Yes I already searched!)

Postby rezss » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Guys, first time posting here... I'm currently residing in Melbourne, Australia and I'm in a bit of a conundrum.... now its going to be a little difficult to explain the full story, but I'm hoping some of you can keep up and give me an answer :)

Now having learnt a couple of important key points from my searching of the site's archives, I've realized that the criminal record issue is broken down and based on a case by case basis? Well my case is a little out there...

Basically about 5 years ago, I was involved in drugs. Yes it was a low part of my life, my troubled youth etc etc... Not only was I dangerously using narcotics, but to support my spiralling addiction, I was trafficking as well (I know how alot of you will judge me due to the fact that I was peddling misery, but I cannot stress how much this period of my life tortured me and still continues to haunt me today, so pls try refrain from turning this thread into a judgementfest, I beat myself up enough)

It finally all ended when I was caught in a sting operation and convicted of several charges, including possesion, trafficking, firearm offences etc (As I said, its a long story why I got involved into all this, it was all a terrible mistake and extremely poor judgement on my part, but it was an immensely deep hole I tried to climb out of, the more I tried the deeper into it I got)

I pleaded guilty and because it was my first and only offence (even though it was a pretty serious offence), I was sentenced to a 12 month Intensive Corrections Order which basically means serving your sentence in the community, not behind bars. Its alot of Community Service and alot of counselling and rehab etc...

This was 4 years ago, I have not gotten myself into trouble since. I haven't touched drugs, haven't hung around with criminals, working a respectable fulltime job, become a normal tax paying citizen and now have a warm loving family who have stood by me through my hell.

I really didn't want it to be a long post but I guess I can't really explain the situation without providing specifics. That is only PART 1 of my issue, heres PART 2.

I was born in Singapore and moved here when I was 4. I have spent the last 2 years sorting out this National Service issue, it's now finalised with me dropping my SG citizenship (as I had both Australian and Singaporean passports).

So now I'm only an Aust citizen, my question is...

Due to my record, is there any chance I can visit Singapore again? I still have relatives there that I would love to visit. The last time I was in SG was 10 years ago and I could not return because of the National Service issue and now this criminal record issue.

I know the chances are slim, but I'm really hoping there is a way for me to return to Singapore... any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 1:20 pm

If you have legally sorted out your NS issues with the Singapore Government and they have accepted your renunciation of your Singapore Citizenship, you shouldn't have any problems "visiting" Singapore. However, it's doubtful that you would ever be allowed to work or return to Singapore with any kind of residency visa (e.g., EP, PR, DP, etc). You haven't broken any laws here so there is no reason to keep you from visiting Singapore on a normal Social Visit Pass.

rezss

Postby rezss » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 5:17 am

thank you for that :)

So coming to visit SG just for social purposes doesn't require any form of criminal background checks etc?
I understand I can never get a working visa, or live there... is there ever a chance for me to do either of these in the future (eg. getting married with a SG citizen)? Thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 6:49 am

Doubtful. But. If you have something that the gahmen really wants or needs, they can always make the exception as nothing here is carved in stone. They just keep all the marbles, playground and rules to themselves. :wink:

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 8:46 am

Seeing as 3 of your convictions, drug trafficking, drug possession and certain firearms offences are capital offences in Singapore, I don't think you've got a chance of ever been allowed to live in Singapore to be honest.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 9:39 am

What is to stop him? There are no questions on the Arrivals Card re: having a record, if you are just on holiday.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 9:50 am

JR8 wrote:What is to stop him? There are no questions on the Arrivals Card re: having a record, if you are just on holiday.

Holiday shouldn't be a problem but living and working which is what he's asking as well?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 9:55 am

Sorry yep, misread your post, thought you'd suggested he was unlikely to be able to visit... my fail